Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Massachusetts Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum226/)
-   -   Vendor resources in southern Mass? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/929119-vendor-resources-in-southern-mass.html)

lasitter 02-09-2010 06:37 PM

Vendor resources in southern Mass?

Sorry for limping in here unannounced, but there doesn't seem to be a sub-forum for Rhode Island, so I figured I'd ask a question here.

I'm in Pawtucket, RI, which is very close to Attleboro and Seekonk, and I'd like to know if there are any good nearby vendors for:

Machine shop / cylinder head (porting) work

Driveline shops (ZF tranny rebuilds ...)

Spring shops ...

Vendors that represent a good balance of price and value for paint / minor body repair.

I'm happy to driver farther (Boston) if someone is really outstanding at what they do.

c4barnes 02-16-2010 02:17 PM

Don't know anybody on that side of Boston, but if it comes down to it, RJT Machine up in Lawrence is stellar. Rick is probably not the cheapest around, but he's definitely fair, and I couldn't say enough about what a great guy he is to work with.

Other than that, I've had no good experience with local shops in the Boston area doing actual work on a car. I had a body shop in Brighton refuse to paint a cab because it wasn't collision work and they couldn't make any money on it (my guess - they asked me to leave when I asked why they wouldn't do it, no kidding). If I find a local shop to do actual work on anything, believe me, I'll be on here shoutin' about it.

That said, I've made do through bloody knuckles and mail order. www.partsguyed.com is a sponsor here and is awesome. He and NumberDummy together have sorted out serious jams for me. I have a link somewhere for a trans rebuilder - again, not local - and will post if I find it. Springs I got from Eaton Detriot.

Not the short, Attleboro-based answer you're looking for, but hopefully that will give you some options.

lasitter 02-16-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by c4barnes (Post 8523017)
Not the short, Attleboro-based answer you're looking for, but hopefully that will give you some options.

Thank you so much for the response.

I've just had a chance to chat with Richard, and he seems to be a very knowledgeable guy. Not much experience with this engine yet though. He has the right equipment to do a good job and we might end up doing some business.

c4barnes 02-16-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by lasitter (Post 8523170)
Thank you so much for the response.

I've just had a chance to chat with Richard, and he seems to be a very knowledgeable guy. Not much experience with this engine yet though. He has the right equipment to do a good job and we might end up doing some business.

He'll tell you if he doesn't know something - one of my favorite things about him. Which engine you building? I gave him a 302, but he cut his teeth on Chebbys ad now has customers who drag race those 1000 hp Supras.

lasitter 02-16-2010 06:45 PM

It's the 4.9L inline six. He did say that it was an older engine that he didn't have a lot of experience with.

c4barnes 02-16-2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by lasitter (Post 8524150)
It's the 4.9L inline six. He did say that it was an older engine that he didn't have a lot of experience with.

Nobody does - they never need to be rebuilt!:-X10 Good luck with it - keep us posted on your progress.

7283-F250 02-18-2010 10:08 AM

c4 - There are a couple guys in town here that will paint about anything. :-X07
If you really want to drive far to get the thing painted. :-X14:-missingt