Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Audio/Video Setup Installed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/929075-audio-video-setup-installed.html)

Tylus 02-09-2010 04:18 PM

Audio/Video Setup Installed

Finally got all of my stuff in and installed. Kind of a PITA though.

Parts:overall, pretty happy with the setup. The headunit sounds way better than the stock radio...and the iPod/iPhone functionality is wicked. I also love the Bluetooth function. My only real complaint is that you cannot put custom background screens.

The Headrests are surprisingly of decent quality. They function as DVD Players...or you can use them as a monitor (see pictures below). The only complaint I have is that they are smaller than the OEM units. The zipper cover is nice also. It looks completely factory when zipped up. Might be a good theft deterrant if they don't know it's there

Wiring wise...Ford engineers should be shot with that retarded setup. Ford utilizes a 10 minute battery saver circuit that the radio is tied into. That means they don't have any 12 volt keyed sources as part of the radio harness. It took some creative wiring, but I finally got it done. Not quite happy with it, but I'm working 12 hour shifts until I deploy...so I'll fix it properly when I get back.
btw, I did bypass the e-brake video lock. Extremely simple. If the wire has a 12 volt source (brake off) the video won't play. if the wire is grounded (brake on) the video plays.

I have no intentions of using this capability while driving...but it'll be nice for when the kids are watching and my wife can see what she is doing. before we had to have the 6yr old describe what was happening on the screen and play the guessing game...not an issue now

Here are some pictures.

Headunit:Headrests:All Three:Misc Install Pics:

berry1234 02-09-2010 04:30 PM

Looks nice. I assume there is no separate OEM amplifier.

Tylus 02-09-2010 07:42 PM

not on mine at least. I had the generic 6 disc radio.

I might pick up some better door speakers and a small sub...but I have no area to put the sub. We actually use pretty much the entire rear area all the time.

mtondreo 02-09-2010 08:40 PM

i like those headrest monitors and think that is a pretty good idea that they zip up. Irritated that my 06 expy has the molded in headrests so I am stuck with video in the dash (the kid watches that anyway because she sits in her seat in the middle) and the hanging one in the back. Do the monitors pivot up and down. Also I am surprised that your 08 expy does not have any factory amps and sub. You really should tint those windows some though with the goodies in there (or maybe they don't look tinted in the pix). Congrats - looks nice, Mike.

gddyup 02-09-2010 09:01 PM

Looks nice Tylus! As far as the sub goes, I have the upgraded 6-disk system in my Limited and the factory 8" sub sits in the D/S rear access panel inside the tailgate. I intend on uopgarding that area to a 10" hopefully this summer if I can get off my lazy a55 and get to building a box for it. If you pull that rear corner I'm sure you'll find more than enough room to stash a sub enclosure in there where the factory one would be and keep all the normal rear cargo room you have now. :D

eddiemoney 02-10-2010 07:32 AM

So that's what they do with the hole if you don't have 4x4. . . .no 4x2s in my neck of the woods.

berry1234 02-10-2010 11:06 AM

All Limitied and Eddie Bauers have the 8" sub in the driver side rear cargo area. There is an amp mounted on the plastic sub enclosure, and I guess the OEM head unit supplies the power for the door speakers. It's pretty loud for a head unit amp.

That is a heck of a price on the headrest monitors. Have you tried them out? Are they ok in the sun?

Tylus 02-10-2010 08:17 PM

the headrest monitors are actually really nice. I had to bump the contrast and white balance some though.

but seeing as it is sunny every day out here we haven't had any issues yet. the rear windows are tinted enough that the screen still has a nice picture.

but like I said, they are smaller than OEM. so if you actually use your headrests, you will be annoyed. I don't often use mine, so I'll live with it. It is kinda disconcerting the first time you lean back and your head goes backwards another 2-3" farther than you were expecting.

thx for the info on the sub/amp. I'll look and see if I have them sometime. and then figure out how to wire them in. The stocker radio has 3 harnesses on it. 1 runs the jack input, 1 harness is ??? and the biggest harness is the power/speakers/steering wheel controls. I need to break out my DVD manual and see what that unknown harness does.

berry1234 02-10-2010 11:22 PM

One is the sub/amp harness. Not there on the xlt and lower trim models.

jayhoskins 04-30-2010 09:14 PM

Tylus, how are those headrests holding up? Do you like them. Were they hard to install? I might get them for my 09 Expedition. Is the leater matched well? Still annoying that they are smaller? I find that some people don't like how the stock headrests lean forward so much so it may be better?

Tylus 05-01-2010 02:36 AM

Install was a joke. The back of the leather seats zips...so I unzipped it, ran the wires inside the seat frame, rezipped it, and then tucked them both under the center console.

the dash isn't the easiest thing to work with. but it's really nothing overly hard. just tedious to prevent scratching the surfaces that can be seen

The headrests match about as well as you can expect short of getting your OEM headrests modified. The leather texture looks very similar...my seats have the copper colored piping that the headrests don't have...but it would take a OCD person (myself) to notice that little feature.

The size does still annoy me, but not the wife. I'm 6'3" and she is 5'4" though...so I use them and she can't even touch 'em really. It's her car, so I just live with it. My Mustang has those super leaning headrests and I'm a fan of them. But that is also because I drive hard enough that my head would whiplash if I didn't use them.

The kids use these screens almost daily. I was scared of them initially, but they seem to holding up very well. I would spend the money again.

The headrests also have a pivoting feature. So you can adjust them to fit I think 15 degrees of angle. I set them for a better angle for the kids to see the screen...but I bet I could adjust it to my head better, but then their veiwing angle would be off. I'd rather not listen to them, so their view has priority

gpfarrell 05-01-2010 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 8837333)
I'd rather not listen to them, so their view has priority

That's really funny and so true too!:-X24

Tylus 05-01-2010 09:06 PM

any day now and #4 will show up...I can't wait for all that noise when driving around

wonder if earplugs/muffs can be considered a mod?

eddiemoney 05-02-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 8840041)
any day now and #4 will show up...I can't wait for all that noise when driving around

wonder if earplugs/muffs can be considered a mod?

Just an illegal mod.. . .