Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   More Issues with Early Build '07's? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/928230-more-issues-with-early-build-07s.html)

cecilt 02-06-2010 09:03 PM

More Issues with Early Build '07's?

We are considering an '07 Expedition Limited that was built in 4/07. It has all the options we are looking for but I am always hesitant on buying first year model. Are the '07's more problematic than 08's in particular areas? Are later production like a 4/07 build less prone to issues than earlier production '07's. We are not in a rush and can wait for an '08 but it seems finding the options we want are hard (namely 2nd row captains chairs and HD tow package to name a few). tks

berry1234 02-07-2010 10:02 AM

The 07 I had had that build date had the tranny problems and wind noise and an unfixable brake problem-lemon lawed it. If I were buying a used one I would get as new as I could afford. This is my opinion, and I am sure there are others who have 07s that are perfect.

I have an 08 now and they seemed to have fixed many of the small annoyances the 07 had.

welfarewagon 02-07-2010 11:07 AM

I bought my used 07 that was built 6/07 and have had no issues with wind noise, the tranny had already be reprogrammed before I bought it, took a while to get use to have it shifts but once you get use to it its okay. No other problem areas yet.

cecilt 02-07-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by welfarewagon (Post 8480395)
I bought my used 07 that was built 6/07 and have had no issues with wind noise, the tranny had already be reprogrammed before I bought it, took a while to get use to have it shifts but once you get use to it its okay. No other problem areas yet.

So what's the deal with the tranny? Does a TSB fix it or is it a recall? What is the issue? This truck is several hours away and don't want to get up there and discover some problem areas. I assume a 4/07 build probably went into production May or later so it should still have some of the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty left. Is the TSB only if you have issues the dealer can replicate or will they do whatever upgrade that is available. thanks so much

eddiemoney 02-07-2010 07:53 PM

All the transmiswions shift odd compared to what most are familiar with. . .including myself in the 2010 I own. It feels sometimes like it is searching for gears, doesn't downshift or upshift at the "right" time. It just takes some getting used to.

Sometimes my trans also sounds like it "whines" at lower speeds.

cecilt 02-07-2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by eddiemoney (Post 8482378)
All the transmiswions shift odd compared to what most are familiar with. . .including myself in the 2010 I own. It feels sometimes like it is searching for gears, doesn't downshift or upshift at the "right" time. It just takes some getting used to.

Sometimes my trans also sounds like it "whines" at lower speeds.

So are the '07 transmissions an issue or is it just that the '07+ are different from the older generations Expediton 4 speeds. tks

berry1234 02-08-2010 10:06 AM

The 07's have a 6 speed vs. the 06 and older 4 speeds. My 08 also had some tranny bugs that were cured after a reflash.

Pay attention to how it shifts from 1-2 2-3 and 2-1 when coming to a stop. Many of these trannys can be fixed with the reflash, but some people on here it did not help at all.

cecilt 02-08-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 8484760)
The 07's have a 6 speed vs. the 06 and older 4 speeds. My 08 also had some tranny bugs that were cured after a reflash.

Pay attention to how it shifts from 1-2 2-3 and 2-1 when coming to a stop. Many of these trannys can be fixed with the reflash, but some people on here it did not help at all.

So, is the reflash something the dealer will do under warranty or do you have to have a problem that the dealer recognizes as a problem as you describe. Is it safe to assume that the '07 is no different than the '08+ is how it shifts it is just that it is a different feel than most are used to. If that is the case I won't be too leary of an '07 unless there were definetly some tranny issues they had to work the bugs out of for the '08+. tks

Also, to get the rear parking sensors in the '07+ do they have the external sensors on the bumper like the '03-'06 or is it built into/behind the bumper eliminating the need for the external sensors. Seems of all the pics I see of the EB or Limited none have the external sensors on the rear bumper leading to 2 conclusions(separate option noone wanted or the truck has it but you can't see it). tks

berry1234 02-08-2010 10:41 AM

It's not that it's just a different feel, it really has shift problems. Some have had a hard time getting the dealer to flash their trans saying there is not problem, others have had good luck. Taking in TSB's with their specific problem helps.

The 07 and up have hidden back up device that is behind the bumper fascia.

IQ9 02-08-2010 04:38 PM

I had the reflash doen and my tranny was perfect for about 3 weeks and then the bump problem returned but very faint...now not so faint but I am told there is no much they can do. The dealer has been talking with Ford about the R80 tranny but I might get one myself and see if I can tie anyone hands...I am just waiting to see how tax returns go.Then I can decide what my options are...if any.

cecilt 02-08-2010 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by IQ9 (Post 8486330)
I had the reflash doen and my tranny was perfect for about 3 weeks and then the bump problem returned but very faint...now not so faint but I am told there is no much they can do. The dealer has been talking with Ford about the R80 tranny but I might get one myself and see if I can tie anyone hands...I am just waiting to see how tax returns go.Then I can decide what my options are...if any.

So your issues were on an '08. Everyone seems to be having issues no matter what year(07 or 08). Maybe the '09 fixed it entirely but those are too rich for my blood still. Arggh

IQ9 02-08-2010 05:58 PM

I would have loved to wait as I paid 49K for my mine and folks here and on other boards were buying my same vehicle for 45k just 6 months later. I know gas played a factor but man all I got was invoice. I would have loved to go lower than that or what they claim is invoice on the sticker. I know the 09 have the R80 so maybe they don't have the issue or it is seroiusly muted...read don't feel it. Who knows we've got to work with what we've got right=0)

jdm5630 02-09-2010 12:40 PM

Well i got my tranny reflashed last August for the same thing and it worked fine up until last month, it started shifting hard into 1st gear again. Took it to ford and i just got a call telling me that the valve body is gone. vehicle only has 67k miles on it. Isnt it ridiculuous that a tranny is alrweady out at 67k miles?

berry1234 02-09-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jdm5630 (Post 8490354)
Well i got my tranny reflashed last August for the same thing and it worked fine up until last month, it started shifting hard into 1st gear again. Took it to ford and i just got a call telling me that the valve body is gone. vehicle only has 67k miles on it. Isnt it ridiculuous that a tranny is alrweady out at 67k miles?

That is bad. Do you have an extended warranty on this? What's the cost.

jdm5630 02-09-2010 12:57 PM

Yea i have extended warranty through Mercury Insurance. Not sure about the price yet i will only have to pay $100 for my deductible. Hopefully this will fix the problem for good