Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Why Do Most Critisize the AOD Transmission? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/924817-why-do-most-critisize-the-aod-transmission.html)

Rick_Fury 01-27-2010 11:31 AM

Why Do Most Critisize the AOD Transmission?

I see so many people in here talk about how "weak" the AOD (Automatic Overdrive) transmissions are. My '83 has over a 175K miles on the original AOD, my best friend has an '87 that has over 200K miles on his original AOD, and then my uncle's '85 had over 150K miles on his AOD. I have seen these trucks tow trailers, go through mud, and everything else that goes along with owning and actually using a truck. If they were so bad, why did Ford use the AOD in trucks for what, over 10 years? Am I missing something?

Archion 01-27-2010 11:35 AM

Most people do not know the care and feeding of a 3spd, much less an OD unit, so they had premature failure. The can be very stout transmissions, and are loved in drag racing. I have almost 300 on mine. It is starting to show it's age though.

ri_truck_guy 01-27-2010 12:24 PM

The only real issue with the AOD is if the TV cable isn't adjusted right, the AOD will burn itself up in a heartbeat. The only change I've done to mine is to add a cooler, and I put that thing through all kinds of abuse without any problems at all. I just posted on how to adjust last night in a different thread. below is a copy.

To adjust the TV cable, you need to disconnect the cable from the ballstud on the throttle bracket. After you disconnect it make sure the plastic piece that connects to the ball stud is pulled all the way to the end of the cable. The cable adjustment holdown is a plastic tab that slides up on the thick part where the cable passes through the bracket. Loosen the cable adjustment holdown and move the cable so the plastic piece is exactly even with the ballstud. Close the adjsutment holdown at this point. Then reconnect the plastic piece to the ballstud. That's it.

A properly adjusted AOD with a cooler will be a lot more stout than people think. Hope this helps someone.

Fordzilla80 01-27-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_Fury (Post 8428234)
If they were so bad, why did Ford use the AOD in trucks for what, over 10 years?

That really doesn't matter,Why did Ford use the same Speed Control Switch for over 5 years when they continuously caught fire once in contact with brake fluid?It's the same thing.A select few people knew how to take care of the AOD,just like a select few were smart and went to Ford to have the Switch unplugged.

My dad's truck had an AOD from factory,but it blew out early in it's life,and somebody replaced it with a C6 before my dad even got the truck.I personally would never want an AOD,as it's just as bad as having a high maintenance woman.

Busted ol' 85 01-27-2010 05:31 PM

Dumb question, but how do you tell the difference between the two

Fordzilla80 01-27-2010 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Busted ol' 85 (Post 8429456)
Dumb question, but how do you tell the difference between the two

Between the AOD and C6?Look at the Tranny Pan and count the bolts.AOD has 14 bolts,the C6 has 17.

Best chart I can find for now.

http://www3.telus.net/cbradley/TransIDChart.JPG

ri_truck_guy 01-27-2010 05:58 PM

AOD has four speeds. C6 has three. AOD has no modulator, but it cable controlled. C6 has round cover on the right side of the case. AOD has a 14 bolt mostly squared fluid pan. C6 has a 17 bolt pan with a jog in one side.

diggerrigger 01-27-2010 07:26 PM

My AOD is 24 yrs old next month. Works great. I was intrigued by the TV cable post. I'm gonna have to look into that one.

Disclosure; I have changed the fluid and filter three times. The last time I changed all 10 or so quarts.

Sycostang67 01-28-2010 02:01 AM

I hate all automatics equally. :-D

diggerrigger 01-28-2010 06:58 AM

I banged the gears in my Chevy C10 for 8 yrs. Swore I'd never own another standard. When I bought my brand new '86 F150 I told the salesman; Automatic, V8, and AC. (the C10 had no AC)

ri_truck_guy 01-28-2010 07:31 AM

The tipping point for me came about 6 years ago when I was driving my 96 F150 5 speed home in some bad weather one day, and it took seven hours to make a normal twenty minute trip. I learned to appreciate an automatic that day.....

GlennFordx4 01-28-2010 11:27 AM

I have had my 86 for 12-13yrs and it has almost 200,000 miles on the AOD and I have only changed the fluid once at the same time I installed a shift kit in it when I bought it. I have shown it no mercy in all these years and it still works great,I trust it a lot more then the ED4OD in my 93 Bronco and that only has 80,000 on it.