Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ontario Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum93/)
-   -   ANY GOOD PAINTERS IN SUDBURY? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/922238-any-good-painters-in-sudbury.html)

68murc 01-19-2010 06:47 AM

ANY GOOD PAINTERS IN SUDBURY?

My dad is looking for someone to paint his '78. He managed to get a retired body man to do the body work and get it in primer. Now, dad is waiting for a local body shop to call him when they have an opening, and they'll paint it. He's been waiting since last fall for "the call." Are there any good body shops in the Sudbury area that are willing to work on old trucks?

fp_5 01-20-2010 08:43 AM

I had no luck trying to get my '77 in for paint before winter hit. The shops I talked with were good reputable shops but they simply were not interested in taking it on. Oh they said they could do it but their price really spoke for them. I get the feeling that most body shops simply want to do quick turn around collision repair. They get paid by the Insurance companys and have a steady flow of vehicles through their shop without taking up space for too long. Nobody wants to touch vintage vehicles. My truck needs minmal body work and a decent paint job yet I'm quoted concours restoration prices!
I will find someone eventually, it's a matter of persistance and patience.
Good luck on your search.

Frank

Red Ford Truck 01-20-2010 10:13 PM

X2 on the pricing.

I was somewhat taken aback by the prices I was quoted for paint and body work, some even asked are you sure you want to spend that kinda money on a vehicle that old?

So I thought I'll just pay someone to paint it and I'll do the bodywork(well mostly my pal would do the body work).

The body shops still wanted 3 and 4 thousand dollars just to paint it.

I have to agree with Frank on this one body shops seem to be just interested in insurance jobs, straighten body damage, hang new sheet metal and plastics and paint.

It seems if there is any rust or fabricating involved they have little or no interest in the job.

My pal hit a deer in his 2007 Mustang about 5 weeks ago $9,000 damage, Hood, fender, door and rear quarter, paint and re-stripe.

I guess that turns out to be a lot better bang for the buck for the auto body shops then actually doing body work, my guess is the training and skill levels required is a lot less too.

Rick.

fp_5 01-21-2010 08:11 AM

"The body shops still wanted 3 and 4 thousand dollars just to paint it."I would go with the 3 - 4 thousand , I was quoted $8,000, now I realize my Supercap is bigger than that wee Bronco of yours but these folks are insane. You've seen my truck the body is in great shape. Frank

loudfords 01-21-2010 11:32 AM

We have a guy near here who is THE go-to guy for hot rods and restos. But he won't quote anything, time and material only, because you never know what you might run into after sandblasting off the paint.

Red Ford Truck 01-21-2010 07:06 PM

When I say $3,000 to $4,000

Originally Posted by fp_5 (Post 8399356)
"The body shops still wanted 3 and 4 thousand dollars just to paint it."I would go with the 3 - 4 thousand , I was quoted $8,000, now I realize my Supercap is bigger than that wee Bronco of yours but these folks are insane. You've seen my truck the body is in great shape. Frank

I'm talking ready to paint windows out rubbers out all metal work pieces off body work done in primer ready to paint.

If the fellow had to do anything but paint it was going to be more.

I keep hearing the story that the paint is very expensive, well I've priced some of the best paint money can buy and total cost for the best paint was about $1,000 so is it really worth $3,000 for the labour part, not in my eyes it isn't.

Rick.

harleyfx 01-21-2010 08:01 PM

Well it is really discouraging to hear about how much it will cost to even get a truck painted, never mind body and primer. Not sure what I will do now with mine. I was thinking of redoing the truck but sounds like I might be better off selling it and putting the money towards buying something newer that does not need anything, well at least body and paint.
Maybe I should just try doing it myself, It might not look the greatest but I could save a ton of money. Anybody want to but a 1980 F150 4x4 in really good shape ??? LOL

Red Ford Truck 01-21-2010 09:13 PM

Don't give up.

Originally Posted by harleyfx (Post 8402032)
Well it is really discouraging to hear about how much it will cost to even get a truck painted, never mind body and primer. Not sure what I will do now with mine. I was thinking of redoing the truck but sounds like I might be better off selling it and putting the money towards buying something newer that does not need anything, well at least body and paint.
Maybe I should just try doing it myself, It might not look the greatest but I could save a ton of money. Anybody want to but a 1980 F150 4x4 in really good shape ??? LOL

What about a local high school autobody shop class, I believe they're always looking for donor vehicles to work on.

Perhaps you could make a deal with the shop teacher that only the top students get to work on it, just a suggestion.

There is a reason that there is this saying: "Necessity is the mother of invention", you could also put an ad on kijiji seeing if you can find a retired body and paint guy or someone with the skills to guide you through it.

Short box step sides are a rare truck and very appealing, so my advise would be don't give up so easily.

Rick.

Gearbanger 101 01-21-2010 10:25 PM

I live in Sudbury and had my previous '01 Explorer Sport painted at Regent Carstar....twice (these short wheel based SUV's are magnets for accidents!!!).

They did a great job both times and warrantied their work. This is however prime season for insurance repair work, but the owner "Tony Nero" was a good guy to deal with. It wouldn't hurt to have a conversation with him. Give him a call (673-7709) and see what he's willing to do for you. :)

harleyfx 01-22-2010 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Red Ford Truck (Post 8402421)
What about a local high school autobody shop class, I believe they're always looking for donor vehicles to work on.

Perhaps you could make a deal with the shop teacher that only the top students get to work on it, just a suggestion.

There is a reason that there is this saying: "Necessity is the mother of invention", you could also put an ad on kijiji seeing if you can find a retired body and paint guy or someone with the skills to guide you through it.

Short box step sides are a rare truck and very appealing, so my advise would be don't give up so easily.

Rick.

I don't think I will give up yet Rick, it is just discouraging to hear how hard and expensive it is to get this work done.I really am enjoying my truck, I will just be patient and things will find a way to work themselves out.

Thanks for the advice

Ray

68murc 02-17-2010 05:43 PM

IT"S PAINTED!!!

UPDATE.
Dad got the '78 painted. It was done by "Lou's" in Chelmsford. Supposedly, they do the body work for the Ford dealership next door, and the owner ,Tony, is a Ford guy. Dad brought it to him, with all the body work done, primed, sanded, no windows, anything. All they had to do was wipe it down, and spray it. They supplied the materials, it took them a week, and it cost $1000. It looks like a very nice job. Including the cost for the initial body work, dad's total cost is about $5200, and it's ready for re-assembly. To me, $5200 is a good deal. Time will tell, if the paint lasts. Good luck to you guys getting your trucks done.

:-drink

Gearbanger 101 02-18-2010 03:53 PM

Ah, yeah...I forgot about Lou's. I've heard good things about they. They in fact do, do work for Belanger Lincoln/Mercury which is literally accross the street. Glad you guys are happy with it. :)