Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Replacing side mirror cover (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/920862-replacing-side-mirror-cover.html)

Mr. PC 01-14-2010 11:27 PM

Replacing side mirror cover

Hey Guys-

I've got an '06 XLT--

I'm wondering if the title to this thread is even possible.

I wrecked the plastic cover on my side mirror on a frigid night last week. The mirror did fold back as designed when it rubbed against the tree, but I think it was so cold that the plastic was brittle.

Anyhoo, the black plastic around the mirror is busted up, but the mirror itself and the adjusting mechanism is fine.

I need to make my mirror whole, but fear that the only way to do it is to replace the whole deal.

Any help?

Thanks-

390XR7 01-15-2010 02:14 AM

I think your going to have to replace the whole mirror.maybe check the locale auto wreckers to find a good used one.

Terry

Mr. PC 01-15-2010 10:35 AM

Yup, that is what I was fearing.

Can a not so totally mechanical guy replace the mirror?

I'm not that bad at that stuff, but not great at it either.

Thanks for your reply

PC

EBTDM 01-15-2010 11:37 AM

It is pretty easy. Half hour 45 minutes the first time through. Need to remove the inside door panels. About a couple hundred for the part at the dealer.

shorebird 01-15-2010 11:37 AM

The mirror is a total replacement unit. You can do the replacement. It is rather easy. Snap off the cover on the inside and then unbolt the mirror. Unplug it and install the new one.
Here is a source ; Discount Auto Mirrors - 2006 Ford F-150
Alternitive is a chrome cover from; 2006 Ford F-150 XLT PART # MC67301 @ WheelsAndCaps.com

Tylus 01-15-2010 06:26 PM

the mid-level mirror is actually 2 parts on 2004-2008 trucks, and 2007-2008 higher end trucks (Lariat, KR, FX4 Prem) have 3 parts.

so on your 2006, what exactly is broken?

the 04-06 mirrors split into 2 halves. a front piece that bolts to the main mirror assembly, and then the main mirror assembly itself.

if you are lucky, you only broke the front part, which is essentially a cover. if that is the case, you can remove the glass portion and simply unbolt the cover. it is 4 little hex nuts.

to remove the glass, push in the top portion until the bottom area is fully extended. then insert a thin flathead through the bottom and pry the mirror mount from the center holdy thingy. sorry for my lack of technical terms. but you'll see what I mean.

DO NOT JUST PULL ON THE MIRROR ITSELF!!! I did this and broke mine into 3 chunks. And then I had to use the method I described above.

but yeah, hopefully you only broke that front casing. if so, it's pretty cheap and easy to replace. below is a picture with the part I'm talking about outlined in green. the part of the moving joint that isn't outlined, and the internals are the main mirror assembly.

they were $7-15 to purchase when I was looking last year. Hope they are still so cheap

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ead/FD82ER.jpg

Mr. PC 01-15-2010 07:13 PM

Tylus, I hope you are right!

The part that broke on my mirror is only the plastic part outlined in your diagram.

Thanks so much for all of the replies--

PC

Mr. PC 01-16-2010 12:33 PM

I found these instructions while web searching.

I can't imagine a better step by step illustration on how to remove the door panel on '06 through '08 F150s.

There are a lot of steps, but none of them look too difficult.

Remove Door Panels On A 2008 Ford F150 Pickup Truck

Golflug 01-17-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 8373372)
the mid-level mirror is actually 2 parts on 2004-2008 trucks, and 2007-2008 higher end trucks (Lariat, KR, FX4 Prem) have 3 parts.

so on your 2006, what exactly is broken?

the 04-06 mirrors split into 2 halves. a front piece that bolts to the main mirror assembly, and then the main mirror assembly itself.

if you are lucky, you only broke the front part, which is essentially a cover. if that is the case, you can remove the glass portion and simply unbolt the cover. it is 4 little hex nuts.

to remove the glass, push in the top portion until the bottom area is fully extended. then insert a thin flathead through the bottom and pry the mirror mount from the center holdy thingy. sorry for my lack of technical terms. but you'll see what I mean.

DO NOT JUST PULL ON THE MIRROR ITSELF!!! I did this and broke mine into 3 chunks. And then I had to use the method I described above.

but yeah, hopefully you only broke that front casing. if so, it's pretty cheap and easy to replace. below is a picture with the part I'm talking about outlined in green. the part of the moving joint that isn't outlined, and the internals are the main mirror assembly.

they were $7-15 to purchase when I was looking last year. Hope they are still so cheap

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ead/FD82ER.jpg

+

Where did you find the covers. I have looked everywhere and can only find the complete mirror as a unit.

Mr. PC 01-20-2010 12:07 PM

I would like to know where said covers come from myself.

Hopefully this thread bump will get his attention--

PC

EBTDM 01-20-2010 01:18 PM

Twenty some dollars to replace the mirror glass with heating element plus another twenty for plastic shell.....that's forty some dollars to rebuild a side mirror costing more than two hundred and I then have a spare side mirror. I also would like to know the source.

Mr. PC 01-20-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by EBTDM (Post 8395150)
Twenty some dollars to replace the mirror glass with heating element plus another twenty for plastic shell.....that's forty some dollars to rebuild a side mirror costing more than two hundred and I then have a spare side mirror. I also would like to know the source.

And, if the plastic shell (the part that is broken on mine) can be replaced without taking off the interior door panel, that would save me lots of hassle--

canadianlariat 02-01-2010 03:51 PM

If you dont mind chrome, you could get those plastic chrome mirror covers to cover the back of the mirror thats broke? But than maybe the chrome mirror covers are the same as the cost of a replacement mirror....

tycham 11-10-2013 02:53 PM

Ford has the front shell

Mr. PC 11-10-2013 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. In the meantime, my mirror got more damaged and I had to replace the whole thing!

So everything's OK now.

The replacement job had quite a few steps but was easy. I'm not a mechanic.

PC