Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   loud noise amplified through airbox? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/915306-loud-noise-amplified-through-airbox.html)

Hayelectric1 12-28-2009 08:50 PM

loud noise amplified through airbox?

help please? driving the truck today and it started making a thumping sound that seems to be coming through the air box? went away a couple of times so i drove it home but noise got louder. got the truck home and shut it down and let it sit for two hours, went back and it started hard and the noise was still there. any thoughts? thank you.

Hayelectric1 12-28-2009 08:51 PM

also, truck has 200,000 miles and no mods.

RubberDuck 12-28-2009 09:05 PM

The only thing I can think of that would cause a "thumping" noise is if the intake hose has gotten super soft and is colapsing and releasing. Other than that, we are gonna need more info on the noise.

Hayelectric1 12-28-2009 09:23 PM

its a loud thump,thump,thump. not sure exactly how to describe. when i open the hood it sounds like someone is inside the airbox banging away. thanks for the help. anything thoughts that would help me describe better?

RubberDuck 12-28-2009 09:41 PM

If you can hear it while standing outside looking at it, then it's not the intake hose colapsing. Unless it has a separated piece inside it. Can you pull the intake hose and start it with open turbo and see if you hear it? Also, is the air filter box closed tightly, if so is the filter snug in there? There should be nothing that makes this sound you are describing. Only other thing that comes to mind is maybe a burnt intake valve that's pushing air back through the intake stroke causing the turbo compressor to surge. I'm at a loss here.

ncinirator 12-28-2009 09:43 PM

Open the air box and start the truck, take a look. Or don't start it, just open the air box on look around to see whats broke or has marks that should not have marks.

Check the hose, give it a squeeze, see if it collapses real easy or not. Tell us what you see, or post a picture if you aren't sure.

And someone that knows about electrical stuff look at the volt meter delay thread, I posted a video...But don't respond here cause then this gets :-hijacked

Hayelectric1 12-28-2009 09:53 PM

thanks, will check those things in the am and get back.

c00nhunterjoe 12-28-2009 10:38 PM

could be a bent pushrod causing it

WALJON 12-29-2009 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe (Post 8291264)

X2 this would make the noise you are describing .

Have you used Either for a starting aid at all lately?

Hayelectric1 12-29-2009 12:50 PM

So I just got back in a whopping 9 degrees out there. found the problem, a broken push rod. unfortunately, in the process of getting there i broke the radiator as well. so now that im there should i replace all of the rods? Is there anything else i should do while im in there? thanks

MADVAN 12-29-2009 01:18 PM

What do you mean by the pushrod broke?
It might be time for valve springs.

Bill

Hayelectric1 12-29-2009 01:48 PM

well by broke i mean it was broke in two pieces, I pulled the valve cover this am.

Hussler 12-29-2009 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hayelectric1 (Post 8293030)
So I just got back in a whopping 9 degrees out there. found the problem, a broken push rod. unfortunately, in the process of getting there i broke the radiator as well. so now that im there should i replace all of the rods? Is there anything else i should do while im in there? thanks

How did the broken push rod break .. Either to get it started?
Inquiring minds want to know?

Hayelectric1 12-29-2009 07:17 PM

not sure what broke it, have had it for two years now and never put a drop of ether to it?? any other thoughts on what did it? had to order in the rods and radiator, will have them in the afternoon tomorrow. anything else i should look at before i put it back together? thanks

ncinirator 12-29-2009 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe (Post 8291264)

Nice call.

Sorry its push rods man, wish it was something simpler. Glad you can handle the problem with out worries, and are learning us about something.