Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum182/)
-   -   pa insp smog over 25 years old? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/912713-pa-insp-smog-over-25-years-old.html)

roadrash63 12-19-2009 06:40 PM

pa insp smog over 25 years old?

hey
is there a pa insp for smog on a truck over 25 years old?

hoping not
merry christmas

PatsPOS 12-19-2009 11:03 PM

It's my understanding that anything built in 1975 and later (and UNDER 8500 GVWR? I MAY be inadvertently making that part up) needs to have an emissions inspection. And I think the definition of "emissions inspection" varies depending on which county you live in. I know in Cambria County we have a visual inspection and a gas cap test.

Now, having said that...if you get yourself a classic or antique registration, then you're exempt from emissions inspection. An added benefit to the antique registration is no more safety inspection, either! :D

If I'm wrong on anything, someone kindly correct me! Hope this helps...
Pat

roadrash63 12-20-2009 02:52 PM

hi
in crawford county ( just south of erie ) we have no actual smog test
just the " visual inspection" of components...
i would like to junk all of it and remove the speed density efi !

78workhorse 12-20-2009 06:29 PM

I know if you put less than 5,000 miles a year you just need the visual emmision inspection.

Tees77f150 12-25-2009 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by PatsPOS (Post 8261170)
It's my understanding that anything built in 1975 and later (and UNDER 8500 GVWR? I MAY be inadvertently making that part up) needs to have an emissions inspection. And I think the definition of "emissions inspection" varies depending on which county you live in. I know in Cambria County we have a visual inspection and a gas cap test.

Now, having said that...if you get yourself a classic or antique registration, then you're exempt from emissions inspection. An added benefit to the antique registration is no more safety inspection, either! :D

If I'm wrong on anything, someone kindly correct me! Hope this helps...
Pat

This is correct for Dauphin county too(Harrisburg area). 1975 and earlier is exempt, and everything else is visual, with the exception of the gas cap. I opted NOT to put antique plates on my 77 as they are too restrictive to driving times for my liking. But the antique tags exempt you from a safety inspection, or emission testing too.

mark a. 12-31-2009 09:33 AM

Under 5k= no inspection, not even visual. Any garage that tells you different needs to call the DOT inspection cop. Thats what I ended up doing to get to the botom of this.

BEAST428 12-31-2009 10:58 AM

As I understand things, being that I have my PSI license. In Blair county anyway if your truck is 1975 or newer it must pass emmissions before it will pass safety inspection unless it has less than 5000 miles on it, even at that the state says that it must retain the emmission equipment(or approved replacements) that the factory installed on it to pass safety inspection. (cat conv, air pump, egr, etc). We were told at an inspection meeting that if the PA inspection laws were followed exactly that there would be no vehicle that would pass the inspection procedure. So In the end the final decision as whether to inspect or not rests with each individual inspection mechanic. Classic license is better than the antique because it doesnt have as many restrictions as per vehicle usage. With the classic there is modification restrictions for keeping it as factory stock looking on the outside as possible. My 79 Bronco cannot have classics because of the 4 inch lift and the 35s.

Tees77f150 01-01-2010 11:12 AM

I got mine registered at the beginning of November, with regular tags, and I am glad because I been really enjoying driving it, and I nearly put 1,000 already. I knew it would be fun, but not this much fun to drive!

I don't drive it in bad weather, or if the roads are crappy, melting snow etc. It sure looks like, I will surpass the 5,000 mile mark to be exempt, but thats ok too.

Redcat Diesel 01-08-2010 07:12 PM

The laws are the same for all counties that fall under the emission program. As BEAST428 said you have to keep all of smog equipment even your buggy is registered in a non emission county. If a PA inspection mechanic is caught removing the stuff the fines are astronomical.

I have my 72 registered as an antique. For me it's a nice deal since I rarely drive it. I also have it insured as a collector vehicle. I have full coverage for about half of what regular liability insurance would cost me. Yes there are restrictions on both but I can live with them.

83mike 02-04-2010 05:19 PM

In berks county Pre-1996 is just visual. Post 1996 is OBD2. Pre 75 or classic/antique registrations are exempt. Also you're exempt if you drive less than 5,000 miles a year.