Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Daytime Running Lights (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/912530-daytime-running-lights.html)

Sunline Fan 12-19-2009 12:29 AM

Daytime Running Lights

Hey Everyone,

I have DRL on my '02 using the fog lights, from the factory. I'd like to extend this to the '05 I'll be acquiring in not too long because I use them all the time. Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

I've searched a lot and see something about a silver thing by the driver's side headlight as well as something behind the glove box. Does this apply for Ex's too? I've found that so many people are looking for ways to disable DRL that I can't tell what I'd need to enable it. Also, from the people I've found in Canada wanting to enable it, it seems most are wanting to connect the headlights and not the fogs.

Thanks,
Jon

wallz 12-20-2009 12:16 AM

You should be able to get in touch with a dealer in Canada and order the DRL module and install and just hook up to the fogs instead of the headlights.

verotik66 01-12-2010 09:16 PM

Yes when I imported my Ex into canada from north carolina, my dealer had to install the DTR module in my truck. I think they dinged me about 400 bucks for the module and install, took them all day

ZBIGBIG19TH 01-12-2010 09:27 PM

400$!!!!!!!Wow
I'm glad my Ex came with it .
Check electrical diagrams ,get the DRL module on e-buy and doit your self.

BostonX73 01-13-2010 12:41 PM

I saw a generic one on ebay, but nothing vehicle specific.
I like running with the headlights on during the day too, so my simple solution was to take an old bottle top, 20oz or 2 liter, blue, red or green - which ever you like, and put in on top of the sensor on the dash. most of them darken it up enough that the autolights will trigger on all but the sunniest days.
I also run with the high beams on too. that way if I burn out that half, I can still drive for a few days on the low beam and not annoy other drivers.

verotik66 01-13-2010 12:52 PM

lol i wondered what that little sensor on the dash top was for

SHERMANATOR1 01-13-2010 02:57 PM

I do the same thing to My "X" when on a long trip< cover up the sensor to keep the lights on, that seems to have saved me $400,from the price you just quoted LOL!!!!
Just remember to leave it on the auto on setting on the light knob so they turn off automaticly too when you shut down. Batteries do cost a lot, there goes the $400 bucks you just saved...

UrbanXX 01-13-2010 05:27 PM

Don't know exactly how daylight running lights work, but at some point they are hooked through the parking brake foot pedal.
I had a Taurus from Canada that had them, if you pushed the parking brake 1 notch down it disabled the day light running lights. Found this little tid-bit in the owners manual.

Skullonarm 01-19-2010 11:12 PM

If you want DRL'S, then put tour ballcap over the dash sensor.

whjco 01-20-2010 09:12 AM

Here's a DRL module that you can buy from JC Whitney:

AUTOMATIC LOW-BEAM HEADLIGHT CONTROL - JCWhitney

VaSheriff 01-20-2010 09:35 AM

I just bought a new Impala the other day. One of the first things I did was remove the DRL fuses. It had a fuse for each headlight, left DRL and right DRL.

I wonder if it could be something as simple in an Excursion as installing DRL fuses in the fusebox? Just a shot in the dark, but worth looking into perhaps?

AlaskanEx 01-20-2010 09:19 PM

you can very very easly make your own DRLs. my truck did not come with foglights and on my last truck i turned the foglights into DRL's. i simply added a relay, wired it to the lights. i then wired my trigger wire off the relay to the 10a customer acess wire under the dash which is ignition hot. boom DRLs! lol i plan on switching out the cheapy fogs for factorys soon.

best part is a relay with base is like what...$10?

whjco 01-21-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx (Post 8397819)
you can very very easly make your own DRLs. my truck did not come with foglights and on my last truck i turned the foglights into DRL's. i simply added a relay, wired it to the lights. i then wired my trigger wire off the relay to the 10a customer acess wire under the dash which is ignition hot. boom DRLs! lol i plan on switching out the cheapy fogs for factorys soon.

best part is a relay with base is like what...$10?

Good suggestion and this is what I did with my fog lights to use them as DRLs, although I have read some posts where running just fog lights is illegal in some states.

I recommended the Hamsar DSL module sold by JC Whitney because it provides reduced voltage to the headlamps and will extend bulb life.

mex x 03-08-2011 12:05 AM

DRL

i just "add" DRL or also known as DTRL for daytime running lights to my 2000 excursion that for some reason even though it has the leather pkg 4x4 and everything did not come with them.
it was fairly simple took me about 1 1/2 hours. All i had to do was:

-- remove the vessel that goes around gauges
-- identify wires on headlight switch
-- likewise on ignition switch
-- make connections (two relays were used)
-- put everything back on

First cut the park lights cable (brown) and also cut the headlights cable (white/red), tap (do not cut) into the "hot wire" on switch (blue/red) now comes the interesting part in this case i used two relays since wanted to keep both loads (park lights and headlights) separated, brown cable goes to relay No.1 on pin 30, then white/red cable goes to pin 30 on relay No. 2 these two connections are the only ones independent from each other all other connections will be "bridged" with its counterpart on each relay.
both 87 pins (one on each relay) go to "hot wire" on switch (blue/red), both 85 pins go to the "hot in run" wire on the ignition switch, both 86 pins go to ground and thats it !!
i do not do this for a living, i just ventured to do this because it was my own vehicle, but it worked good, been like that for a month now with no issues of any kind, the only disadvantage i see on this is that the life of the bulbs may be shorten since full voltage is applied instead of a reduced amount of voltage with OEM DRL systems and will be on all the time, but other than that i am pleased with the end result.
Before i forget to mention by doing this you get to keep your "dimmer" for the cluster illumination and high lights functionality intact i have a diagram of the connections just in case someone out there is planning on doing this which I can e-mail.
check all your wires first do not go by these colors different years models might have different wiring harneses like i stated above "identify" wires first

thanks.

Misky6.0 03-08-2011 08:44 AM

The "advantage" to DRL vs. covering up the sensor (or just turning on the lights) is the dash board brightness stays in the "bright" mode.

My '97 Tahoe had DRL: 14 yrs w/195k original headlight bulbs (reduced voltage). I also think the headlights being on all the time kept moisture out of the housing thus prolonging the life too. I could put on the parking brake to turn-off the DRL which would be nice!

But if an idiot can't SEE the Excursion coming he won't see the headlights either!