Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Key wont turn ignition, tried all i can think of (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/911286-key-wont-turn-ignition-tried-all-i-can-think-of.html)

kbbrown123 12-15-2009 07:24 AM

Key wont turn ignition, tried all i can think of

Ok, so i have searched around for a while and cant find a decent thread on my exact issue.
2002 Mountaineer 4.0L V6 4x2 97k miles
Here it is: The problem is so erratic and a flat out inconvenience. It has happened 3 times so far. The car will start fine all day long and then for no reason you cannot turn the key over in the ignition. We have 2 keys and im sure they are chip keys. The steering was not locked and i tried turning left and right while trying to turn my key. I tried my other key and that started it the first 2 times this happened, but the third time my wife was using her key (the one that started it the other times) and nothing happened until someone disconnected the battery. That was 2 days agao, so far so good... But does anyone have any idea whats going on, its quite an inconvenience adn kinda pisses you off when you get in your car and your key wont turn.. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys:-X09

54Guy 12-19-2009 09:57 PM

Hm are you sure it's not just an accumulation of metal chips in the ignition lock? You might try blowing some air briskly in there. Sometimes the tumbler pins will stick. And/or try squirting some electrical contact cleaner spray (from your local parts store) in there. Might loosen a sticky tumbler pin.

I have seen INCREDIBLE quanitities of metal chips come out of ignition locks!

kbbrown123 12-20-2009 02:47 PM

thanks for the suggestion, i figured this thread was a lost cause, no one replied very quick. I put some graphite powder in

shorod 12-20-2009 02:55 PM

Did the graphite powder fix it?

-Rod

Moto Mel 12-21-2009 10:03 AM

PATs antenna

Your PATS antenna may be going bad. It's located next to the lock assembly in the column. You might try turning the key upside down the next time it happens and try it again. Not certain, just a thought.

54Guy 12-21-2009 10:52 AM

He's not replying so I guess he got it fixed? It would be nice to know what finally fixed it though, for others with the same problem.

shorod 12-21-2009 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Moto Mel (Post 8265680)
Your PATS antenna may be going bad. It's located next to the lock assembly in the column. You might try turning the key upside down the next time it happens and try it again. Not certain, just a thought.

The PATS system has no mechanical connection to the ignition key cylinder. Yes, the antenna is looped around the key cylinder, but it would not prevent the key from turning the cylinder.

-Rod

Moto Mel 12-22-2009 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by shorod (Post 8267325)
The PATS system has no mechanical connection to the ignition key cylinder. Yes, the antenna is looped around the key cylinder, but it would not prevent the key from turning the cylinder.

-Rod

From his description I wasn't sure if he was saying the lock cylinder wouldn't turn or the engine wouldn't. In any case you're right because if the PATS were the problem the engine would crank but not start.

kbbrown123 12-22-2009 07:11 AM

Sorry guys, i dont have easy access to the internet currently.. Well, so far since the ol ladie was stranded and some stranger did something under the hood, we have not had a problem. And in my initial thread i was referring to the lock cylinder, you would put the key in and it felt as if the steering was locked, but no matter what you would try the dang key would not turn. BUt, ever since i put some graphite in there it has worked fine. Not sure if i fixed some sticky tumblers or if it was coincidence, but so far so good. Any of you guys have the smae problem? How did you go about fixing it?

Moto Mel 12-22-2009 09:14 AM

Glad to hear that you got it fixed. The graphite may have been the cure and I hope so. A long time ago I used powdered graphite in my door lock and over did it, caked up my lock big time and I've been very wary of using it ever since.