Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   F100 Wont Shift!!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/911153-f100-wont-shift.html)

bluefalcon151 12-14-2009 07:30 PM

F100 Wont Shift!!!

My truck is a 1972 Ford F100 and it will not shift into gear for the life of me! Not quite sure what is wrong?? Any suggestions?

Chucky Babe 12-14-2009 07:36 PM

is it a manual trany or auto

bluefalcon151 12-14-2009 07:39 PM

It is a 3 speed manual trans....inline 6

73FordF100 12-15-2009 04:11 PM

It could be that the linkage needs adjusting. Is it a three on the tree? How does it feel when you try to shift?

bluefalcon151 12-16-2009 02:29 AM

It feels as if there are no gears...although I know they are there...and yeah its a 3 on the tree. A mechanic told me that I may need to line up the linkage at the top of the column...not quite sure how??

Any ideas?

73FordF100 12-16-2009 04:42 PM

I think the mechanic is talking about where the linkage is connected to the column in the engine bay, but I am not so sure how to adjust it. I have had problems with my 3 speed on the column linkage too, and it was also something to do with the adjustment of the linkage on it. I had to adjust it where it connected to the transmission, but not where it is attacted to the column. I don't remember if I had gears or not when I needed to adjust the linkage, all I know is that it was very rough when trying to shift into gears.

CougarJohn 12-17-2009 03:15 PM

Falcon, I am not a pro at this but until we attract the attention of the experts I will give you my best shot.
You are describing some kind of slop in the linkage- the two rods that go from the H box on the column to the trans. What you need to do is to crawl under and pull the pins that connect the rods to the trans. Make sure the ebrake is on and the tires are blocked before you do because the truck might roll if you are on an incline. Manually shift the transmission through all four gears by flipping the levers up and down. You should feel the gears seat. One lever controls first and reverse, the other second and high gear. Then, put the transmission in neutral (Both levers in the middle position), and put the shift lever in the neutral position. The rods connecting to the trans should drop right in if all is correct. If they don't, adjust the rod length by turning the nuts on the threaded rods.

I hope a couple of the salts can read what I wrote and advise us.

Good luck, Semper Fi

NumberDummy 12-18-2009 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bluefalcon151 (Post 8240992)
My truck is a 1972 Ford F100 and it will not shift into gear for the life of me! Not quite sure what is wrong?? Any suggestions?

3 Speed Manual Transmission: There are two possible reasons why you are having this problem...which is quite common on trucks of this vintage.

#1) At the bottom of the steering column under the hood are the two manual control selector levers that the shift rods from the transmission attach to.

In each one of these levers is a rubber bushing and insulator.

What happens: The rubber bushings harden up, and crack apart and may have fallen out.

When any of this occurs, the shift lever binds up.

This is a VERY common problem that affected all 1965/79's with a 3 speed manual, because all used these same parts.

C5TZ7343A .. Bushing & Insulator Kit / One kit does both levers / Ford just obsoleted this kit.

Since you are in CA, here are the CA sources that have this kit.

VILLA FORD in Orange CA has ONE.

STAN MORRI FORD in Tracy CA has ONE = 209-835-4821.

SUSANVILLE FORD in Susanville CA has TWO.
--------------------------------------------
GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has 16 = 800-543-4959

PARTS INTERNATIONAL in Farmers Branch TX has 34 = 888-727-0418.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2) The shift lever fits into the shift collar. The collar is notorious for breaking into two separate pieces where it connects to the shift tube.

When this occurs, the shift lever flops around, so it will not engage anything.

This collar was available from NAPA, dunno if it still is...or not.

The same collar fits all 1965/72 F100/350's; 1973/74 F100's; 1960/65 Falcon/Comet's; and 1966/77 Bronco's all w/a 3 speed manual: CODZ7228B.

In 1975, Ford replaced CODZ7228B with D5TZ7228B which fits all the previous applications and 1975/77 F100/150's.

Both of these shift collars are obsolete-no longer available from Ford, but there are 100's still available at Ford Dealers, obsolete parts vendors.

If this turns out to be the problem, let me know and I'll post the sources that have them.

Baer 12-19-2009 10:30 PM

Something that will tell you real quick which problem number dummy described. Have someone look at the base of the column where the two rods connect, someone else work the shifter from the inside of the truck, if it moves the rods then it is number 1, you can see the bushings if their wore out. I have also had the shifting tube be wore out to cause it to not shift. If it doesn't move the rods, it is the shifting tube. 5% of the time it is number 2 hence why people cut holes in the floor and put floor shifters in, when in fact 2 hours and you can have a new steering column by doing the rebuild.

WeSkap 01-11-2010 09:11 PM

Mine would hang up/get stuck at all the wrong times: Busy intersections, rush hour, you name it. I would turn off the motor, lift the hood and reach down and simply grab the 2 linkage arms and squeez hard. This would pop it into neutral. From there I could start up and go a few days before the cycle would repeat.

In August '08 my son installed a Hurst 3-speed floor shifter, which I was told would solve the problem. It hasn't. Love the floor shift, but now when it locks up I have no linkage arms to squeeze!

I still haven't stumbled on a solution. Next on my list is to talk to some old salt at a Transmission shop or call the guys on Car Talk!

ThinkItBuildIt 01-28-2011 01:00 PM

Similar problem with shifting

f100 65 3on tree. Similar issues as ya'll are describing.
Attempted solution: replace the bushings at column to linkage- no workie
Symptoms: Will shift fine from first to second, fine from 2 to 3rd and fine from Reverse to first. Will not shift back into the first/reverse position from 2nd gear. Does not appear to be the transmission as I can reposition the two levers under the hood back into first gear as well as from under the truck can shift into all gears after disconnecting the linkages.

Now I have convinced myself that the problem is in the column. Somebody above mentioned this as a 5% of the time issue that can be solved in 2 hrs. I like the sound of that. So after failing at finding a used column to replace my old one, I need to get all the guts out of the broken column and identify the issue. Has anybody done this before? Can I use a standard wheel pull for the steering wheel or do I need a specialty one? All internals come out from the steering wheel side correct? If I'm taking it all apart is it advisable to just replace as much on the internals as I can find parts for? Advice needed and appreciated.

!This rock and roll smiley is badass!:-headbang

Thanks

ThinkItBuildIt 03-02-2011 12:11 PM

I rebuilt the column and everything went smoothly, pretty much. Upon dismantling I found the cast iron shift lever had worn away at the shifting tube interface, increasing the diameter of the hole about 5mm. I figured this would be enough for the shifting to gradually get worse and worse and thus likely be my problem. The verdict is still out because... once the column was put back into place with a nice new paint job and all new internals it still wouldn't shift! So at this point there are three possible problems:
1) I screwed up the rebuild.
Unlikely but the symptom pre-rebuild of 'being able to shift from 1st into second (one time only b4 having to get out of the truck and manually reset the levers from under the hood) is no longer possible. the levers only work independently (1st and rev shifting fine, and 2nd to 3rd fine)
2) The transmission is shot.
Should I be able to shift between all the gears with/o engaging the clutch? I took for granted that it is possible but if not then the problem is my tranny/clutch. After failing at my diagnosis of the column I'm rehashing all my assumptions!
3) I have to do something to line up the Hbox lever arms properly with the transmission.
This is what im hoping it is, there are holes int he lever arms that can be lined up with the column housing and a pin (small screwdriver) be placed through to eliminate movement and locking the column Hbox into the neutral position. This leads me to believe that the linkage arms to transmission can be adjusted to synchronize with the transmission. BUT HOW!

Additionally I have loads of pictures from my rebild if anybody is doing one and needs help (provided of course that problem #1 above proves to be false)

DeanHigh 08-10-2011 05:21 PM

All Is Not Lost

Originally Posted by bluefalcon151 (Post 8240992)

My truck is a 1971 Ford F100 and it will not shift into gear because the Shift Tube inside the steering column is broken. Don't worry. The new body style didn't come out until 1973.

I bought a used steering column on ebay for $130 including shipping. Today, I'm replacing the whole column as it is easier than replace the Shift Tube.

If you think it might be your Shift Tube, just take the steering wheel off, then take off the flange that holds the turn signal/brake signal/hazard lamp switch (plastic w/ electric wires), pull that over the shaft and have a look. It's very obvious, at that point, if your Shift Tube is broken.

Good luck, Man

DeanHigh 08-10-2011 05:24 PM

Oh, By The Way

If the Shift Tube is broken at a point below where you can see it, just change the Steering Column. Of course, it might be a good idea to disconnect the linkage from the Transmission from the Shift Tube (under the hood near the Firewall) and see if something is binding in the Transmission or the Linkage twixt the two.

Flying Finn 01-04-2012 09:16 AM

Hey guys,

I'm having similar problems (see link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-problem.html) and was wondering if any of you find out a solution other than new steering column?

Thanks.