Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Glow Plug Wire Harness (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/911053-glow-plug-wire-harness.html)

Old Whitey 12-14-2009 01:57 PM

Glow Plug Wire Harness

Hello all,

This is my first time posting and also first time diesel ownwer. I have a 1987 F-350 6.9L diesel, 5 speed manual trans, single axle.

I went to relace a couple bad glow plugs; when I pulled the plug wires off they pretty much decentigrated/crumbled in my hands. Is this common? Now I'm having a hard time finding a place that carries the glow plug electrical harness. Called Oreileys, they couldn't get it. So, called Ford dealer they could order it but, would cost around $500. Sounds a bit expensive. Any sugestions on other places to order from? Thanks in advance.
Jim

Links56 12-14-2009 02:03 PM

Welcome! Can you just put new ends on the wires that are there? Just cut them back a ways and splice a new piece of wire and spade connector. Just make sure you use the same gauge wire because the current these draw. Otherwise you could find a used one I guess. You better grab a tub of Vaseline if you are going to go to the dealer.

Old Whitey 12-14-2009 02:33 PM

I'll look into that. Should I ask the parts store for a specific spade connector or will any kind work as long a I use the same gauge wire?

Fishin76 12-14-2009 02:38 PM

You could make your own. Not that hard or expensive. Just time to complete it. Radio shack for wire and connectors. Re-use the controller plugs, or get ring terminals. Just keep track of your wire colors.....

Links56 12-14-2009 02:41 PM

Well just make sure it fits the glow plug of course. Just have them bring a new glow plug out and find the spade that fits it.

This is what I would do...
Get the spades and the right gauge wire. Then solder the spades to the wire. Then slip a piece of heat shrink tube over the solder connection and shrink it with heat. Now you will have a so called pig tail. Just make 8 of them and cut the harness back until you have good wire then solder the connection or crimp it with a butt connector.

They also have butt connectors that have heat shrink tube on them already.

You don't have to solder it if you don't want to. I just would if it was me as an extra measure for good connection and so it won't come apart from vibrations or anything.

hope this helps.

Fishin76 12-14-2009 02:44 PM

I like the way you think, Links56...

x2 thats a good way to do it.

Old Whitey 12-14-2009 02:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a shot.

farmert 12-14-2009 04:49 PM

The 87 should have the bullet connectors, not the spade connectors on the glow plug end, if I remember right.

Links56 12-14-2009 05:07 PM

huh, that may be. I don't know. My 87 has spades on it.

Dave Sponaugle 12-14-2009 07:30 PM

87 was a strange year.
Seems both the old style and new style glow plug system was used in 87.

Do your glow plugs have flat blade terminals or the round pin terminals on them?

Old Whitey 12-14-2009 08:42 PM

They are round and shaped like a bullet. Will that make a differance when choosing which connector to buy?

JD_F250 12-14-2009 09:46 PM

Ive got an 87 with the bullet style connectors. I too had ALL of my nice little connector covers shatter into millions of pieces...well actually they turned into dust. i pulled one GP out and took it to radio shack. just figure out what will fit and grab eight. well 9 if you cant hold on to stuff and you hear it fall to the ground and cant find it. hmmm sounds familiar. then cut and splice and your set.

9473 12-14-2009 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by JD_F250 (Post 8241572)
Ive got an 87 with the bullet style connectors. I too had ALL of my nice little connector covers shatter into millions of pieces...well actually they turned into dust. i pulled one GP out and took it to radio shack. just figure out what will fit and grab eight. well 9 if you cant hold on to stuff and you hear it fall to the ground and cant find it. hmmm sounds familiar. then cut and splice and your set.

I see these guys carry the replacement bullet connectors:
<style></style>7.3 L Ford Diesel Fuel Injectors Fuel Pumps Accessories

Dave Sponaugle 12-15-2009 05:55 PM

That and some members have used a bullet connector with good results as well.

Can't remember what size they used though.

I have to wonder what Ford gave you a price for.
I bought a 93 engine wiring harness for 150 dollars 4 or 5 years ago.
If you have the new style glow plug system, that is the same harness you would need.

9473 12-15-2009 06:32 PM

Ford has discontinued the GP harness, at least for my truck. That's what brought me here so lemonade from lemons. Someone here recommended the replacement bullets. They are NAPA #784353. I've cut the wire at the OEM connector then crimped and soldered the new bullet. Before connecting the bullet I slid a piece of shrink tube and the bullet insulator on the wire then slid it up and heated. It'll work fine my only reservation is whether the nylon cover for the bullet will hold up. Time will tell...