Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   5.0L Coyote (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum247/)
-   -   5.0 or 6.2 production info? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/909795-5-0-or-6-2-production-info.html)

stephen.osborne1 12-10-2009 09:13 AM

5.0 or 6.2 production info?

I was on my mustang site earlier and they announced the 2011 mustang v-6 will be producing 305 HP, and the 5.0 figures should be released any day, and that it should be in the f-150 before the mustang!
Anyone have info about the 5.0 (or the 6.2) as far as what model year they will start off in (late 2010 model or 2011) and when they will become available?
If it is in the very near future, I may actually cancel my order for the FX4 and wait for something with 400 HP... If this is what these motors are going to produce.

YoGeorge 12-10-2009 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1 (Post 8225304)
I was on my mustang site earlier and they announced the 2011 mustang v-6 will be producing 305 HP, and the 5.0 figures should be released any day, and that it should be in the f-150 before the mustang!
Anyone have info about the 5.0 (or the 6.2) as far as what model year they will start off in (late 2010 model or 2011) and when they will become available?
If it is in the very near future, I may actually cancel my order for the FX4 and wait for something with 400 HP... If this is what these motors are going to produce.

You could probably find as much info as me on the Internet on the 5.0. Per the article below, the 5.0 is supposed to be introduced "in 2010" but my sense is that it will be going into 2011 model trucks. The article further says 400 hp and 400 lb ft of torque, but I am very skeptical of those figures from an engine as small as 5 liters in a tune that is suitable for a truck.

Ford’s 5.0L ‘coyote’ V8 [Spied again]

I would bet on an easy 400+ horsepower from the 6.2, however. From what I recall, it is supposed to show up in early 2010 in the Raptor (I don't know if this means the Raptor will be a mid year 2010 model or if they will call it a 2011) and then be available in the 2011 Super Duties.

If you're going to be overseas for the next number of months, it seems to me like you would do well to delay your order and get an engine you really want, but the only way we will really know when the new engines are available is when they show up on the street. I would also point out that despite Ford's generally excellent engineering, getting "one of the first" of any engine or transmission involves a risk of some kind of problem cropping up....

George

skywagon 12-10-2009 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 8225594)
You could probably find as much info as me on the Internet on the 5.0. Per the article below, the 5.0 is supposed to be introduced "in 2010" but my sense is that it will be going into 2011 model trucks. The article further says 400 hp and 400 lb ft of torque, but I am very skeptical of those figures from an engine as small as 5 liters in a tune that is suitable for a truck.

Ford’s 5.0L ‘coyote’ V8 [Spied again]

I would bet on an easy 400+ horsepower from the 6.2, however. From what I recall, it is supposed to show up in early 2010 in the Raptor (I don't know if this means the Raptor will be a mid year 2010 model or if they will call it a 2011) and then be available in the 2011 Super Duties.

If you're going to be overseas for the next number of months, it seems to me like you would do well to delay your order and get an engine you really want, but the only way we will really know when the new engines are available is when they show up on the street. I would also point out that despite Ford's generally excellent engineering, getting "one of the first" of any engine or transmission involves a risk of some kind of problem cropping up....

George

After all, they need to keep up with the new Camaro lol!!

stephen.osborne1 12-10-2009 12:08 PM

Yeah, I'll be overseas for a while, but my wife will be driving the new truck while I'm gone. She doesn't need it right away, but she is putting a lot of miles on my 2000, and I don't want it to break down while I'm not home...She freaks out if I'm not there to tell her what to do.
I know I'd be happy with the 5.4, but if I could hold out for say, an extra month or two, and get a 5.0 or 6.2 in a crew cab (no raptor crew cab yet?) that'd be awesome. I'd be more concerned about trans problems than a motor problem, and from what it sounds lke, the bugs have been worked out of the 6 spd (6R80?). Besides, I'd get the extended warranty too.
I wonder what the actual numbers will be too... I agree, 400 seems high for a 5.0, but it is possible. Anyone know if it has direct injection? I'm pretty sure the 6.2 does. Compression anyone?
I was just hoping maybe someone had some insider info as to when the new motors will be released... Thought maybe at the LA auto show or something. Still a few days left.

skywagon 12-10-2009 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1 (Post 8225906)
Yeah, I'll be overseas for a while, but my wife will be driving the new truck while I'm gone. She doesn't need it right away, but she is putting a lot of miles on my 2000, and I don't want it to break down while I'm not home...She freaks out if I'm not there to tell her what to do.
I know I'd be happy with the 5.4, but if I could hold out for say, an extra month or two, and get a 5.0 or 6.2 in a crew cab (no raptor crew cab yet?) that'd be awesome. I'd be more concerned about trans problems than a motor problem, and from what it sounds lke, the bugs have been worked out of the 6 spd (6R80?). Besides, I'd get the extended warranty too.
I wonder what the actual numbers will be too... I agree, 400 seems high for a 5.0, but it is possible. Anyone know if it has direct injection? I'm pretty sure the 6.2 does. Compression anyone?
I was just hoping maybe someone had some insider info as to when the new motors will be released... Thought maybe at the LA auto show or something. Still a few days left.

:D
Just don't let her have the keys to the Mustang lol!

Power Kid 12-10-2009 01:17 PM

I read every F150 related link I can find:

What we know:
- 6.2L #s out already. 411/434
- 5.0 & EB in F150 with 2011 F150 production to start Nov 2010. (later than normal)
- Ford has stated the 3.5L EB is the premium offering above the 5.0L.
- Ford has stated the 3.5L EB will get @ 25% better mpg than outgoing 5.4L
- Ford suggested 5.0L produce silmilar mpg as outgoing 5.4L
- 3.5L EB will cost somewhat more than 5.0L
- Ford stated new 2011 Superduty the new 6.2L (w/new 6 speed) gets as good or better MPG than outgoing Superduty and 5.4L/5 speed. Despite having 111 more hp and much more tq.

Here's what we think based on all available info:
- 3.5L EB should/will be @ 400/400 based on unit they had at SEMA show last month.
- 5.0L may be @ 400 in Mustang but in truck form closer to 350 hp.
- 6.2L probably available in more F150s than Raptor, but not confimred yet. May be limited to Harley or Platinum? Don't know yet.

Hope that helps

creich68 12-10-2009 06:42 PM

Subscribed to this thread. It's about time Ford steps up with a new displacement motor. I realize this 5.0 is a 4-valve, but is this 5.0 related in any way to the old 5.0 (block, internals, etc)?

YoGeorge 12-10-2009 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by creich68 (Post 8227255)
Subscribed to this thread. It's about time Ford steps up with a new displacement motor. I realize this 5.0 is a 4-valve, but is this 5.0 related in any way to the old 5.0 (block, internals, etc)?

No, it is not. It will have overhead cams, be designed to take the EcoBoost turbo setup, and will be all aluminum. I am quite certain that the bore/stroke will be somewhat different from the old 4x3 inch setup of the old 302 as well. It's also going to be huge with the twincam heads, whereas the old 5.0 was tiny and the perfect engine to put into a little English sports car (the 289 Cobra, 260/289 Sunbeam Tiger, etc...)

It will be produced in Windsor, Ontario, though, where many of the old 5.0's were made.

creich68 12-10-2009 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 8227279)
No, it is not. It will have overhead cams, be designed to take the EcoBoost turbo setup, and will be all aluminum. I am quite certain that the bore/stroke will be somewhat different from the old 4x3 inch setup of the old 302 as well. It's also going to be huge with the twincam heads, whereas the old 5.0 was tiny and the perfect engine to put into a little English sports car (the 289 Cobra, 260/289 Sunbeam Tiger, etc...)

It will be produced in Windsor, Ontario, though, where many of the old 5.0's were made.

Hmm well there goes my plan of possibly swappin one of those in place of the 302 in my 68 stang. I guess it could be done but with those heads it would be a tight squeeze between the shock towers.

YoGeorge 12-10-2009 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by creich68 (Post 8227697)
Hmm well there goes my plan of possibly swappin one of those in place of the 302 in my 68 stang. I guess it could be done but with those heads it would be a tight squeeze between the shock towers.

The 4.6 in my van is bigger than a freakin' 460....especially dumb because trucks need overhead cams as badly as eskimos need icemakers, IMO.

dwrestle 12-10-2009 11:05 PM

Well I don't think they are bigger than the 460, but yes they are huge for only being 4.6 and 5.4 liters. I was under the impression that the Modular motors were so wide, and tall because they are OHC.

Power Kid 12-10-2009 11:45 PM

Yup thats why the 97+ were so much taller than previous gen, due to tall engines...

stephen.osborne1 12-11-2009 12:44 AM

remember the 5.4 4v in the lincoln navigator? HUGE heads... They should have kept that rather than develop the 3v...
If I have to wait until Nov, I guess I'll just stick with the 5.4. I'd love to get an EB 5.0 someday though... Or and EB 6.2... Are the two engines at least in the same family, like the Mods, windsors, etc? If the EB setup works for the 5.0, will it work for the 6.2?
No, I don't really NEAD all that power, but I'd hate to have my brand new truck getting passed all the time on the freeway... Especially by a chevy hybrid.
As far as the wife having the keys to the mustang... too late... she peeled out through an intersection on accident right after she picked it up from the shop last month... called me shaking... "holy F***!" I guess the new 308 is kinda potent...

Scorpion67 12-11-2009 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1 (Post 8228385)
remember the 5.4 4v in the lincoln navigator? HUGE heads... They should have kept that rather than develop the 3v...

Why? It develops the same power with less fuel now. Less expensive to build too. Just moving on to the 6.2 is what Ford needs to do now.

stephen.osborne1 12-11-2009 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpion67 (Post 8228461)
Why? It develops the same power with less fuel now. Less expensive to build too. Just moving on to the 6.2 is what Ford needs to do now.

As I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) the 4v was rated at 320 HP, and had a lower compression ratio... I think it was 9.0... If the compression was raised to 9.8 like the 3v is, it should be making much more than 320... Again, I'm not 100% on that, but I do believe the 4v was a better platform and they should have gone with it rather than go to 3v. I realize the bores are small on the mod motors, so valve size is limited, but I find it hard to believe that 3v breathes better than 4v, or even as well as. The new 5.0 is 4v, right?
Maybe they could have designed new heads just around the 5.4 block that allow for direct injection. With the injector in the combustion chamber, I can see the need for space and then the subsequent removal of the 4th valve from the equation.