Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   International Region (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum141/)
-   -   What is the FASTEST you can go on any road in your country? (What roads are fastest) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/906800-what-is-the-fastest-you-can-go-on-any-road-in-your-country-what-roads-are-fastest.html)

Greywolf 12-01-2009 02:01 AM

What is the FASTEST you can go on any road in your country? (What roads are fastest)

I have heard the autobahn (German) is the fastest in the world, parts of the "QUOTA" in Mexico (also know as the "CUDA" - which is short for "BARRACUDA") is very popular for hotrodders coming down from southern california in the USA.

Australian roads I have no clue about at all, and in America there are roads in the northwest with high speeds -but the cops have an unlimited license to decide for themselves what is 'reasonable' and what is not, depending on how they feel about it at the time and the condition of the roads, weather, and vehicle...

Italia I know nothing about at all, but they seem to make some of the worlds fastest sportscars. -Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti... Why would they do that?

How fast can you go?

This is a thing I have been fascinated with for a long time.

If I had an airplane and a pilots license I could go 500+ miles an hour and it would be taken for granted, but on the street or a highway you can only go so fast..

Probably because most airplane pilots are thought to be much more conservative as regards their own mortality, and there are not as many of them.

f100racing 12-01-2009 03:50 AM

Around these parts, the main freeways are 110k's( about 69 miles)
Up in The Northern Territory, out in the middle of nowhere, it use to be unlimited.
I have heard they have since put a limit out there because some people died, but there arn't any coppers out there to catch you.

Greywolf 12-01-2009 04:32 AM

Eh?

No cops - NO SPEED LIMIT!

Unless you can't find the cops first.....

Do radar detectors sell pretty good over there? Or are there no restrictions on them....

f100racing 12-02-2009 02:26 AM

Well, there are cops. It's just that there's hundreds of kilometres between towns and the towns are smallmso they only have one cop on duty. That leaves a lot of road that isn't patroled.
Heard about one guy out there, got himself a Lambo so he could drive over 300kph. Does it very often too.
Radar detectors are illegal over here

Greywolf 12-03-2009 02:03 AM

Far as I know - in the states they are only illegal in Virginia and Washington DC.

Because the local oscillator circuit in most radar detectors can themselves be detected, an "RD" can cause a cop to follow someone just about anywhere on the principle "Why does someone have it if they don't need it?"

Laser speed traps are more common than radar. The big difference is that radar can be detected "Over the horizon" but a laser is line of sight, if you detect one it's probably already got you.

However: a police frequency scanner is far from the radar band, and has the same over-the-horizon capability. I've been thinking of getting me one.

Ranger92 12-03-2009 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Greywolf (Post 8189135)
I have heard the autobahn (German) is the fastest in the world, parts of the "QUOTA" in Mexico (also know as the "CUDA" - which is short for "BARRACUDA") is very popular for hotrodders coming down from southern california in the USA.

Australian roads I have no clue about at all, and in America there are roads in the northwest with high speeds -but the cops have an unlimited license to decide for themselves what is 'reasonable' and what is not, depending on how they feel about it at the time and the condition of the roads, weather, and vehicle...

Italia I know nothing about at all, but they seem to make some of the worlds fastest sportscars. -Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti... Why would they do that?

How fast can you go?

This is a thing I have been fascinated with for a long time.

If I had an airplane and a pilots license I could go 500+ miles an hour and it would be taken for granted, but on the street or a highway you can only go so fast..

Probably because most airplane pilots are thought to be much more conservative as regards their own mortality, and there are not as many of them.

Here in Illinois, they are pretty strict.

I drove on the Autobahn in Germany. They add a plastic into their pavement that really extends the life and allows for expansion without cracking. They really maintain the Autobahn and you don't see any potholes anywhere. There is no speed limit once you get away from the towns, and it is an experience that I will not forget. You can go as fast as your Hp will allow you to go!

I was a young G.I and I had a BMW 528 (Inline 6 with two massive carbs and 4 speed) maxed out on the speedo! It was a real rush! The car itself felt like it was trying to fly and the steering was extremely sensitive. The Autobahn is also curved and banked to allow for smooth high speed turns! Damn it was great, no, it was the best driving exerience I have ever had!

BigF350 12-05-2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by f100racing (Post 8189198)
Around these parts, the main freeways are 110k's( about 69 miles)
Up in The Northern Territory, out in the middle of nowhere, it use to be unlimited.
I have heard they have since put a limit out there because some people died, but there arn't any coppers out there to catch you.

I used to live in the territory. They put a 130km/h (about 80mph) limit up there. :(
They did it because of too many "road deaths". Problem is very few deaths were attributed to excessive speed up there, most are due to driving under the influence, but the guberment saw $$$ at the end of putting in a speed limit...

There used to be a some cool cars up there just for doing 250km/h+ (my 700hp Falcon used to do alright :-X10 ) including the guy that lived in Alice with the Murcelagio.
Porsche used to do all their high speed development on the roads, was kinda cool cruising at 250 and watching a pre-production Turbo 911 blow past you like you were walking.

f100racing 12-06-2009 01:30 AM

Sounds like my kind of fun. 8D

Greywolf 12-06-2009 05:04 PM

The trouble with living anyplace that is at all fun is that they usually tax the living hell out of people there...

Encho 12-22-2009 05:15 PM

In my country there are limits, mostly archaic, like 80kph, but as there are no cops around (they don't use radars either), and everyone is speeding, they can't do much. So i usually get my Bronco up to 130kph on the roads, and many ppl drive a lot faster.

Greywolf 12-22-2009 05:32 PM

I bet the poeple there want their cars and trucks to last though - so they are a little less likely to be completely stupid....

I live in a country where a lot of people seem to take driving for granted, as if it were a right instead of a privelege to menace everyone by being silly (Not to mention the mistaken idea that Momma and Papa would take care of anything they do wrong - including driving while intoxicated)

You can't imagine the suprise of these 'gabachitos' when their parents tell them: "We are not going to pay for that, YOU did it..."

valdor 12-25-2009 02:24 PM

National speed limmit in South Africa is 120KM/H or abt 70Mp/h on the freeways. Roads are in pretty bad shape ... This festive season has claimed 650 (and counting) lives so far. However i dnt blame speed as such but stupid behaviour and bad roads. I like to drive leisurely 99percent of the time. The ole Isuzu di diesel wont allow more lol.
Have to wonder if governing all cars in this country to max 120km/h will help. Not that i am generally infavour of over policing or legislating..Better still, FIX THE DAMM ROADS..

Bdox 12-27-2009 09:59 PM

Wow Valdor! 650 is a pretty big number. Don't you figure that alcohol consumption might figure into that problem?

We used to have a 55mph speed limit here in the states. At that rate all the older unsafe cars never died. Then they started raising the speed limits and all those old junkers went by the wayside in short order. Collector cars got rescued but most of the trash went away with the result being we have a safer fleet. Unusual to see a car or light truck without disc brakes and good emission control systems.

So I say raise the speed limits and let Darwin's principles take care of things.

BigF350 12-28-2009 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by valdor (Post 8280535)
National speed limmit in South Africa is 120KM/H or abt 70Mp/h on the freeways. Roads are in pretty bad shape ... This festive season has claimed 650 (and counting) lives so far. However i dnt blame speed as such but stupid behaviour and bad roads. I like to drive leisurely 99percent of the time. The ole Isuzu di diesel wont allow more lol.
Have to wonder if governing all cars in this country to max 120km/h will help. Not that i am generally infavour of over policing or legislating..Better still, FIX THE DAMM ROADS..

650 - :eek:
I think Australia's annual road toll was maybe 1100 or so.

You are right though, the roads in South Africa aren't the greatest.

valdor 12-28-2009 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bdox (Post 8287340)
Wow Valdor! 650 is a pretty big number. Don't you figure that alcohol consumption might figure into that problem?

We used to have a 55mph speed limit here in the states. At that rate all the older unsafe cars never died. Then they started raising the speed limits and all those old junkers went by the wayside in short order. Collector cars got rescued but most of the trash went away with the result being we have a safer fleet. Unusual to see a car or light truck without disc brakes and good emission control systems.

So I say raise the speed limits and let Darwin's principles take care of things.

Yes my friend i betcha alchohol does indeed play its part. I dnt mean to bash my country but what is is. We have lots of hooligans who shouldnt be allowed to drive a tricycle. Biggest single problem my view is them MINI VANS USED AS TAXI'S designed to carry mebe 14 but often loaded to 20 - 30. Not to mention the unworthy condition of the cars. Ever seen a public transport vehicle driven with a plumber type spanner in stead of a sterring wheel? Sad to say it happens often.
Thankyou for usefull comment must say i have to agree.