Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Oil leak, turbo, EBPV?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/905455-oil-leak-turbo-ebpv.html)

jt371 11-26-2009 10:35 AM

Oil leak, turbo, EBPV??

First things first.....HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!!!!!

The other day I was looking over my truck and noticed that my engine oil level was a little low. Added oil and checked it over and found there was oil leaking down the back of the motor. Looking on the top side noticed a little oil residue coming from the back of the engine valley towards the front. Looking harder noticed that there was oil under the turbo on the EBPV/pedestal. I have had my EBPV stick when its cold evan after I cleaned the EBPV sensor tube last year. This summer was under my truck with it running checking the CCV hose and thought it might have pressure behind it.
So my question is is my EBPV bad? Can it be rebuilt, seal kit? Is it just bad o-rings on the base of the turbo? I have the o-rings for base of the turbo. I just don't want to take it all apart and not have enough parts to fix it.
Thanks in advance.

Riffraff Diesel 11-26-2009 11:59 AM

Yes, you can rebuild it with all new parts. Here is the kit that has everything you need.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving :)

Riffraff Diesel: Exhaust Backpressure Valve piston rebuild kit

jt371 11-27-2009 10:02 AM

Thanks Clay.
Do you have the generic o-ring kits from Guzzle as well? I should look at getting one of those as well.

Thanks

aklim 11-30-2009 01:51 PM

Here is my personal experience so take it FWIW. We thought the pedestal was leaking so we changed that set of O-rings. Still leaked. Rebuilt the EBPV with the kit. Still leaked. Got a new EBPV. Still leaked. Another one and finally it quit. Why? I suspect because the bore was scored and changing the piston would not help. When they gave a rebuilt one to be installed from the parts dept, they just changed the rubber plunger which did not fix the bore. Talked to another tech who had 3 rebuilt pedestals before they found one that would NOT leak.

PaysonPSD 11-30-2009 02:10 PM

Put in a non-EBPV pedestal and remove the EBPV while you have it off. No more leaks. :-X22

jt371 11-30-2009 02:27 PM

OK thanks for the info.
I would just remove it but like the idea of it warming the engine faster in the colder months.

aklim 11-30-2009 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jt371 (Post 8186707)
OK thanks for the info.
I would just remove it but like the idea of it warming the engine faster in the colder months.

I don't feel I have lost much in the cold months after I removed the EBPV and changed to the van turbo.

jt371 11-30-2009 03:13 PM

Like I said, I liked the idea, I know some have done as you have and still operate during the colder months. Also I don't want to spend the cash to swap it out. I hope I can clean up the bore and rebuild it. Someday I'd like to upgrade the turbo but for right now i need to just keep everything going.