Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Shaking under acceleration (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/904909-shaking-under-acceleration.html)

1OldFordMan 11-24-2009 11:34 AM

Shaking under acceleration

Okay, just got Old Rusty back from Tech School & he doesn't seem to run as good as I remembered. Suspect my memory lied to me again, didn't drive him much before he went there & he was there for two months. Below is a list of work done by Tech School:

Replace ALL hoses, thermostat & gasket
Flush & fill cooling system
Tune -up*
Flush & fill tranny, new filter
Flush & fill diff.**
Replace couple lights **
Connect fog lights **
Adjust door latch **
Replace seat **
Much more small stuff **

* Tune - up consisted of new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, PCV valve, set timing ( with spout disconnected ), & compression check.
Replaced air filter & breather filter myself before taking him to school.
Compression check showed 140 - 145 in all.
I have done the Sea FoamŪ through the brake hose & put some in the tank.

** Don't think this would affect running.

Old Rusty is a '91 F-150 w/302 auto. ( think E4OD, push button on dash for OD lockout ). Mileage is unknown, am thinking around 145,000. Currently shows around 45,000 & know from the title it's turned over at least once ( hey, it's a FORD, 245,000 shouldn't be a problem. However was told after I bought it that it has a new Jasper longblock about 40,000ago. When I remembered the next day to call the guy about paperwork for warranty ( if I ever need it ), he said he lost it all in a divorce. Can't tell by just looking if it's true or not.

Now the problem, under light acceleration he starts shaking / vibrating. Will shake the whole cab. Under moderate / hard ( anything approx. 2,000 or above by the factory tach ), no problem.
Codes from Tech School were as follows ( have checked FORD fuel injection. Don't see where they list KOEO codes ) KOER 311 Thermoactor air sys. inop. ( rt. side ) = smog pump? Next up is 332 ERG valve not opening. Was told these two wouldn't do anything & not to worry about. Last under KOER is 533 Insufficient RPM change - operator error. The kid didn't goose the throttle when he was supposed to? Then I have KOEO ( didn't see those listed, only KOER ) of 332 & 553. Don't know what they are.
Sorry for this being so long, wanted to try to get all the info in without having to go back & add more because I forgot or didn't think to list it. Also seems to shift hard ( feels like " dumping the clutch on a stick " at times ). Does seem to have improved since flush & fill, new filter. Doesn't do it often.

Blue Rebel 11-24-2009 11:47 AM

Thats a driveline problem your describing. Check ujoints w/ trans in neutral wheels blocked. If its an extended cab, it will also have a carrier bearing halfway down the driveshaft that could be bad. If they both check out, than you need to look at the trans/tcase/rear axle. It sounds like a bad ujoint to me though

1OldFordMan 11-24-2009 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Rebel (Post 8167842)
Thats a driveline problem your describing. Check ujoints w/ trans in neutral wheels blocked. If its an extended cab, it will also have a carrier bearing halfway down the driveshaft that could be bad. If they both check out, than you need to look at the trans/tcase/rear axle. It sounds like a bad ujoint to me though

Thanks, forgot to list all wheels / tires have been balanced. U-joint doesn't sound too bad. I thought it was in the engine because speed doesn't seem to make as much difference as RPMs. Does seem to be smooth till it shifts into Drive & worse in OD. Of course, 1st & 2nd it usually climbs & shifts fairly quickly. Shows what I know. Any idea on the KOEO codes? Just wondering what I'm looking at here. Standard cab, so no carrier bearing, right? 2wd, so no T-case / front axle to test. Knew I'd forget something even after all the stuff I put in there.Will have to check them if the sky stops leaking & I can find someplace warm & dry. Just try to twist / move them & watch for play? No problem coasting / maintaining steady RPMs. Just under acceleration. U-joint makes sense, didn't even think of that. Think I was too worried about the engine because of a scare from when it was in Tech School. They had first told me I had two cylinders side by side with very low compression. Next thing is they're telling me the whole left side is dead. They hadn't tested the right side. 3 different gauges & all the same. Turned out the extension hose was bad & not giving a true reading.

Lazy K 11-24-2009 12:15 PM

For codes go to fordfuelinjection.com and from the list on the right click on "3 digit codes".

Blue Rebel 11-24-2009 12:20 PM

To check ujoints, chock the wheels, then put the trans in neutral. You will be able to rotate the driveshaft about 1/4 turn, thats normal. but if you can move it up/down side/side at all, that ujoints bad. you might not even be able to see the movement as much as you can "feel" it as a clunk.

1OldFordMan 11-24-2009 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lazy K (Post 8167935)
For codes go to fordfuelinjection.com and from the list on the right click on "3 digit codes".

Will try that. Saw one that said KOER codes & checked those. Didn't see one that said KOEO codes & that was where I got lost on them.

Originally Posted by Blue Rebel (Post 8167948)
To check ujoints, chock the wheels, then put the trans in neutral. You will be able to rotate the driveshaft about 1/4 turn, thats normal. but if you can move it up/down side/side at all, that ujoints bad. you might not even be able to see the movement as much as you can "feel" it as a clunk.

Yeah, think I've done that before on other vehicles, just been more years than I can remember. Thanks again for the help.

Lazy K 11-24-2009 12:43 PM

Ford Fuel Injection 3 Digit Self-test Codes 111-171 Here you go.

1OldFordMan 11-24-2009 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lazy K (Post 8167935)

Okay, see what I did. Because they were all right there under the KOER test, thought they were only KOER codes. Okay, next question, what in x*x* is AM1 /TAD :-huh? Have zero ( or less ) experience with fuel injection / computers. Have learned a few terms since reading :-X25, but am lost on that one :confused:.

FORD RANGER 11-24-2009 02:23 PM

pat,
fuel injection systems are fairly easy to work with. if you understand how it works!
they work almost like a carburetor does.. but more efficient. please let me explain...
but everything is run thru a computer, ECM! your mass air flow sensor,tps,map,egr, and o2 sensors all work together to control the amount of fuel and air,and how its exhausted.
and the ECM monitors all that.

1OldFordMan 11-24-2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by FORD RANGER (Post 8168257)
pat,
fuel injection systems are fairly easy to work with. if you understand how it works!
they work almost like a carburetor does.. but more efficient. please let me explain...
but everything is run thru a computer, ECM! your mass air flow sensor,tps,map,egr, and o2 sensors all work together to control the amount of fuel and air,and how its exhausted.
and the ECM monitors all that.

Thanks for the explanation, Can you explain what that last thing is? Have never seen that one here before ( don't remember it if I did ). Have learned TB, ECM, TPS, MAP ( I think ), & IAC. Still lost on what is AM1 / TAD?

FORD RANGER 11-24-2009 04:26 PM

pat ,
all those sensors are ecm controllled...

nnewman 11-24-2009 04:46 PM

I know the other people are thinking drivetrain vibration, but when I read your description (under light acceleration he starts shaking / vibrating. Will shake the whole cab. Under moderate / hard ( anything approx. 2,000 or above by the factory tach ), no problem.) it sounded exactly like something my truck just went through. Turned out my EGR regulating solenoid wiring was unplugged. You might want to check that or further investigate that EGR code you got. The AM1/TAD you got is part of the thermactor air & shouldn't cause drivability problems or a check engine light.

1OldFordMan 11-24-2009 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by nnewman (Post 8168639)
I know the other people are thinking drivetrain vibration, but when I read your description (under light acceleration he starts shaking / vibrating. Will shake the whole cab. Under moderate / hard ( anything approx. 2,000 or above by the factory tach ), no problem.) it sounded exactly like something my truck just went through. Turned out my EGR regulating solenoid wiring was unplugged. You might want to check that or further investigate that EGR code you got. The AM1/TAD you got is part of the thermactor air & shouldn't cause drivability problems or a check engine light.

Thanks for the advice & translation. Didn't know what that was. That Thermo air thing is the smog pump, right? Pretty sure that's the real name for it, I just call it the smog pump.

nnewman 11-24-2009 04:55 PM

Yeah, the air pump or smog pump supplies air to a couple of different places: 1) to the catalytic converter to make it work & 2) to the exhaust runners of the cylinder heads to burn off the unburned hydrocarbons. There are 2 valves ( the bypass, or TAB, & diverter, or TAD, that direct the air to the right places at the right times). Let us know if you do any troubleshooting on the EGR.

1OldFordMan 11-24-2009 05:09 PM

Hoping for some warmer / drier weather :-yeahrigh between now & Mon. Little cool / damp right now.