Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   catalytic converter/cherry bomb (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/904250-catalytic-converter-cherry-bomb.html)

tkeduck 11-22-2009 08:07 AM

catalytic converter/cherry bomb

I have a 1990 F150, 5.8L, 351W, two wheel drive, extended cab, long bed. Does anybody know if the catalytic converter is filled with the ceramic beads or the honeycomb?
I put a cherry bomb on it (single exhaust) and it is not loud at all. In fact I ran it with just the CAT and it seemed to muffle the sound better than my muffler did. The cherry bomb I have is 22" and is straight through pipe, I assumed it could be mounted in either direction as there was no airflow arrow. If I left the CAT alone will that cherry bomb ever burn out or get louder? Is there a trick to burning it out faster?

jplinville 11-22-2009 08:30 AM

just driving it for about 1000 miles or so should blow the packing out. As for installing it backwards, it's impossible on those.

zxwut? 11-22-2009 10:43 AM

You could just leave it alone and not be obnoxious. I'm still trying to save up the money to fix the exhaust that the PO ****ered up.

tkeduck 11-22-2009 01:03 PM

And your Hayabusa is as quiet as a buick? Give me a break. I guess I should have specified I am not looking to wake the dead. That is why I left the CAT in place and it is only a single exhaust. This is a farm truck used for pulling. I just want to be able to hear the engine working under pressure.

zxwut? 11-22-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by tkeduck (Post 8161629)
And your Hayabusa is as quiet as a buick? Give me a break. I guess I should have specified I am not looking to wake the dead. That is why I left the CAT in place and it is only a single exhaust. This is a farm truck used for pulling. I just want to be able to hear the engine working under pressure.

Fair enough! And actually, my Hayabusa is pretty quiet. When I was shopping for a performance exhaust, I purchased a model from Yoshimura that was fairly quiet and then got them to add an additional silencer to it. I don't need the extra attention from the po po and I also hate listening to noisy exhausts.

97FRD1TN 11-22-2009 03:45 PM

I don't know how loud you want,but your truck has 2 converters and even with a cherry bomb it's not gonna be that aggressive sounding or loud.Your best bet is to take the cherry bomb off or get rid of the converters and put on a high flow one or just get rid of them all together.But like I said it all depends on how loud you like your exhaust.

TexasGuy001 11-22-2009 07:04 PM

I would run a high flow convertor or just the front convertor and the cherry bomb.

tkeduck 11-22-2009 09:06 PM

I know beggers can't be choosers but if I cut the second converter out is there a O2 sensor in it and if so can it be bypassed or re-mounted so as an error code does not pop up?

97FRD1TN 11-22-2009 09:16 PM

the o2 sensor is upstream of the converters,so you will be fine.