Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   7.3 cutting out (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/902091-7-3-cutting-out.html)

weekendwarriorfsw32 11-14-2009 02:14 PM

7.3 cutting out

Hello every one.
On the 01 X this morning I go out earlie to start it to let it warm up start it and walk away come back 2 min later and its off??? I am like WTF? So I start it again and it run then it just dies. So right now my glow plug relay is unpluged so I am thinking that it just two cold for it so I start it again and put the Dp on high idle and let it sit there but every few second it stumbles then comes back up then did this for about 10 min straight then it time to go get in and start driving all fine till I get into it and then it stubles or dies for a second then some back did this for about a mile then turned around and when home. Didn't want this thing to die on me. Go home get the 6.0 and go. So any Idea's on why it's cutting out? CPS was replaed about 2,000 miles ago. Any idea's would be great,
Thanks
Nick :-X09

hucka1a 11-14-2009 03:25 PM

Any codes, Nick?

duck fan 11-14-2009 03:29 PM

First of all Nick, do you have the GPCM disconnected? 2nd, when was your last oil change. I know you tend to be on top of these things but trying to ask the easy questions first.

87 F-150 I6 11-14-2009 05:34 PM

How cold is it out, could your fuel be gelling? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

F350-6 11-14-2009 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by duck fan (Post 8138591)
First of all Nick, do you have the GPCM disconnected? 2nd, when was your last oil change. I know you tend to be on top of these things but trying to ask the easy questions first.

I was wondering the same thing. Including if he disconnected his AIH by mistake.

Nick, where did you get the CPS from? Remember new does not always mean good. A faulty CPS is still a possibility. You can also check for a loose chip or wires to the switch, chaffed wires on the ICP or IPR. Do you have a CEL? Do you know what codes you have?

Smokin' 11-14-2009 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 87 F-150 I6 (Post 8139038)
How cold is it out, could your fuel be gelling? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

He's in California. No way its cold enough for gelled fuel...unless its actually cold (for CA standards) and he got fuel contaminated with water.

Sounds like it could possibly be a fuel restriction..or fuel pump...since he said it died when he got into the throttle.

4inchlovin 11-14-2009 08:25 PM

Clogged screens???

Tenn01PSD350 11-14-2009 10:06 PM

I would check all the wiring and connections for a short or bad connection. You know what the usual culprits are Nick.

Oh, this is a good time to check for codes and if none, I would do a buzz test and contribution test.

weekendwarriorfsw32 11-15-2009 12:41 PM

Huck only codes iI had were for the unplugged glow plug relay, Exhaust back pressure sensor, and the IAH Delete.
Peter I got the thing finally plugged in later that morning and about 1,000 miles on this oil.
Andrew It was 30 out side when I started it so I don't think thats cold enough to do it and the other two trucks started just fine so if it was cold enough to do it don't you think all the trucks would have problems starting? Fuel filter was changed less than 200 miles ago.
Chris my IAH is delete if that matter's and the CPS that's in it now is From Jody at Dp and it's a black one I think it has about 3,000 miles on it ish now that I look in my service book and I did have the CEL light on but I cleared it now and has not come back.
Lisa I was kinda thinking fuel pump but I left for school at 6:30 then I came back at lunch got the Glow plug relay plugged in then took the 7.3 to school and was running the ***** out of it trying to get it to skip a beat but I could not get it to skip a beat at all it was solid.
Nolan Didn't think of that. I think i need to do the In-tank mod's soon so I will check then.
Mike I should check all the wiring and do a good look over on all the electrical connections. I realy need to get an AE to do all those test.

Here is the wired part. I have been using my Spartan tuner from the 6.4 to clear and check codes for the 7.3. In the 6.4 I use that as my gauges and so when I put it on the 7.3 I was watching oil temp, boost, trans, speed and Coolant temp. I have in the 650 dash a water temp gauge when it said it was 140 ish the Spartan said it was 250 and the alarm was going off. The temp gauge on the dash said that it was in the normal so why is the computer seeing that number?
Thanks for all your help guys your the best :D

hucka1a 11-15-2009 02:34 PM

No idea on the readings from your spartan, unless it doesn't communicate with the 7.3 pcm the same as it does the 6.4.:confused:

duck fan 11-15-2009 03:30 PM

Remember too that the DP messes with the parameters that the PCM sees. Thats why guys running digital gauges off the OBDII port have false readings.

Tenn01PSD350 11-15-2009 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32 (Post 8141265)
I was kinda thinking fuel pump but I left for school at 6:30 then I came back at lunch got the Glow plug relay plugged in then took the 7.3 to school and was running the ***** out of it trying to get it to skip a beat but I could not get it to skip a beat at all it was solid.
Mike I should check all the wiring and do a good look over on all the electrical connections. I realy need to get an AE to do all those test.

Here is the wired part. I have been using my Spartan tuner from the 6.4 to clear and check codes for the 7.3. In the 6.4 I use that as my gauges and so when I put it on the 7.3 I was watching oil temp, boost, trans, speed and Coolant temp. I have in the 650 dash a water temp gauge when it said it was 140 ish the Spartan said it was 250 and the alarm was going off. The temp gauge on the dash said that it was in the normal so why is the computer seeing that number?
Thanks for all your help guys your the best :D

Plugging in the relay? Do you mean connecting it? Could the wiring have been shorting out? Don't you have a Cali GPCM? You cannot really unplug those without trouble can you? Guess you can because you seem to have had it unplugged. I would not worry about the Spartan stuff and try to get someone with a proper scan tool to see what the PCM is seeing. What is presented at the OBD port ought to be what the PCM is seeing IIANM.

Pulling chip is a 5 minute job and will eliminate that problem altogether from a scanning/troubleshooting standpoint. Just a few thoughts and good luck.

Edit: Ooops, forgot the main point of my response here, that temp was not cold enough to cause that trouble by itself.