Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   460 EFI performance help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/896308-460-efi-performance-help.html)

bl8ckb3ar 10-25-2009 02:38 PM

460 EFI performance help

This is my first thread so forgive me but i could use some help. I am buying a 93' F-250 with a fuel injected 460. its 100% stock and im getting for $900 with only 123,000 miles! good deal. anyways i want to increase power and fuel millage with some cheap upgrades. i was looking at getting a bigger throttle body from BBK but then i found a 4 barrell adapter (CS-460EFI) and i was thinking about putting BBK's 4 barrel 1000cfm universal throttle body on it. (summit racing number BBK-1716). it says it has a TPS sensor and stuff but what about a mass airflow sensor? and will that TPS hook to my stock wiring? also headers for this truck are kinda hard to find, it is an automatic so there are a few but everything cost so much and im only 18 years old. im a dishwasher for gods sake, $500 is like pure gold to me lol. help guys! thanks. PS i am a damn good mechanic, going to WYO-TECH next fall.

460/5 10-25-2009 03:39 PM

man. youre in the same boat as me! if youre willing to teardown a wee bit, a good cam kit is less than $300 from crower. and as for headers, i have to agree, i dont like the idea of gettin out the hacksaw to de-limb myself! mines a 91 f250 with a 460.

460/5 10-25-2009 03:40 PM

OH!! and welcome to FTE!!!

monstertrucker 10-25-2009 05:45 PM

There are a couple good 460 build threads on here you might want to reseatc, On is under "upgrades what you think". Also research project mpg on google and you will find a build on a truck that was a feature in Four Wheeler magazine. My headers are shortys from Hedman. I just got underdrive pulleys from Troyer performance for $180.00 Your stock timing is probably set at 10 BTDC. It will run alot better set at 12 DBTC. Welcome to the FTE. You have an awesome starter truck.

Rich

460/5 10-25-2009 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by monstertrucker (Post 8071978)
There are a couple good 460 build threads on here you might want to reseatc, On is under "upgrades what you think". Also research project mpg on google and you will find a build on a truck that was a feature in Four Wheeler magazine. My headers are shortys from Hedman. I just got underdrive pulleys from Troyer performance for $180.00 Your stock timing is probably set at 10 BTDC. It will run alot better set at 12 DBTC. Welcome to the FTE. You have an awesome starter truck.

Rich

did you mean BTDC?

97FRD1TN 10-25-2009 07:48 PM

Gears are always a good bang for your buck to,also opening up the exhaust helps a little but I usually do that more for sound rather than performance.Personally I think gears are about the best way,unless your truck already has a 4.10 ratio.As for the newer throttle body,I think your better off going with the twin 61s instead of putting on the 1000 as those are bolt on,and everything should just bolt right back on. btw welcome to fte

bl8ckb3ar 10-25-2009 08:39 PM

thanks guys, nice forum you got here. i have read a lot of the 460 builds as well as project MPG and well, like i said, everything is really expensive. and are your shorty headers special order or something? because headman doesn't offer them for my truck. unless the exhaust ports match the older heads. oh and i live in NY so SMOG and emissions actually matter for inspection >:( also i was wondering how one goes about punching out my CAT. i tried to do it in my old car but the way it was built, i couldn't get anything through it. so i decided to run a big torch flame through it but once i got the heat coming out the other side... it split in half lol. one more thing, anyone done any home made air box mods? instead of pouring $250 down the drain for a K&N i was just going to make my own tubes and use two air filters but i would love to see how someone else did it.

bl8ckb3ar 10-25-2009 08:45 PM

oh yeah and its not my first truck. nor my first ford. i have an 87 ford bronco (fullsize of course) and well, it may be a rust bucket, but at 400,000 miles, original engine and transmission, i'd say she couldnt look better. although it needs a clutch, the 300CI inline six still gets second gear chirps with 35" tires. im saving up for a master rebuild kit from clifford performance and some headers. i am currently building a centrifugal supercharger kit for it out of one made for a 289 v8. should be a good mud truck then :)

460/5 10-25-2009 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by bl8ckb3ar (Post 8072696)
thanks guys, nice forum you got here. i have read a lot of the 460 builds as well as project MPG and well, like i said, everything is really expensive. and are your shorty headers special order or something? because headman doesn't offer them for my truck. unless the exhaust ports match the older heads. oh and i live in NY so SMOG and emissions actually matter for inspection >:( also i was wondering how one goes about punching out my CAT. i tried to do it in my old car but the way it was built, i couldn't get anything through it. so i decided to run a big torch flame through it but once i got the heat coming out the other side... it split in half lol. one more thing, anyone done any home made air box mods? instead of pouring $250 down the drain for a K&N i was just going to make my own tubes and use two air filters but i would love to see how someone else did it.

for the cat, i suggest that you look to Cherry Bomb. they have free-flow cats. and the as far as i know, the 460s bolt patterns never changed, so the headers should fit from year to year, its just more a matter of how it clears the frame and other parts of the truck. back to the cats, i would say that you should run true duals and get a cat for each bank, and back that with a glasspack. :-X22

460/5 10-25-2009 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by bl8ckb3ar (Post 8072725)
oh yeah and its not my first truck. nor my first ford. i have an 87 ford bronco (fullsize of course) and well, it may be a rust bucket, but at 400,000 miles, original engine and transmission, i'd say she couldnt look better. although it needs a clutch, the 300CI inline six still gets second gear chirps with 35" tires. im saving up for a master rebuild kit from clifford performance and some headers. i am currently building a centrifugal supercharger kit for it out of one made for a 289 v8. should be a good mud truck then :)

thatll be a beast. go to crower for a cam. they got some mean grinds for the 300.

monstertrucker 10-25-2009 08:59 PM

My were not special order. I have had them for about 4 years. Mine is a 1990 with a stick, but I orderred auto headers for more room.

Rich

bl8ckb3ar 10-25-2009 09:03 PM

hmmm. im getting a clifford cam for the 300 but for the v8 i wont go true duals, i will make an x pipe minimum. probably a y for simplicity because i want the added tourqe. same with my 6. i have always had the philosophy that you can do anything with torque. Horse power just makes you go fast. and with a good transmission and rear gears, the torque will make you go fast too :)

460/5 10-25-2009 09:06 PM

im more a fan of torque too. i solved this by running 2.5 inch pipes.

bl8ckb3ar 10-25-2009 09:09 PM

anyone live in NY? i love to see what other people have done with my engines.

bl8ckb3ar 10-25-2009 09:34 PM

do you guys think this will help out torque and MPG? 2167 - Edelbrock Performer-Plus Camshaft Kit (jegs) and of course the exhaust note is important too.