Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Need Feedback On Tires... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/895918-need-feedback-on-tires.html)

chuck s 11-07-2009 06:46 AM

Anyone got any QUIET replacement tire options (or opinions!). I'm due for new tires at 55K miles and intend to order Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas based on their excellent performance on my '02 Explorer (still in service at college with my daughter).

I'll probably stick with All Season rather than so-called A/T tires.

Thanks,

-- Chuck

IQ9 11-07-2009 01:23 PM

WQell I have 22 miles on the Nittos(NT420S) and they suck and I thought the Scorpions were not that great. The NIttos are HARD. I would have gone with Terra Grapplers as they are much softer ride wise. They are louder and seem to wallow in turns. I am hoping that fater a few hundred miles things will either change or they will get changed. What a down grade. I feel like I bought some used mismatched tires. Nitto really let me down...I amhoping with some milage they get better.

tseekins 11-07-2009 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by chuck s (Post 8116657)
Anyone got any QUIET replacement tire options (or opinions!). I'm due for new tires at 55K miles and intend to order Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas based on their excellent performance on my '02 Explorer (still in service at college with my daughter).

I'll probably stick with All Season rather than so-called A/T tires.

Thanks,

-- Chuck

I think the Alenzas are a great tire and they have excellent reviews on tire rack. I bought the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S a couple weeks ago, I had mentioned that in aprevious post. They are very quiet, ride very nice and are very well reviewed as well. 60K mile tread wear.

Tim

david_jr 11-08-2009 12:03 AM

OK since we're talking tires, anyone here use a dedicated snow tire? We are in a pretty cold/snowy location and I am wondering if the 20" scorpions are going to get us around this winter. We get a lot of snow and occasional ice. The scorpions only have 12K on them and still look brand new so I can't really justify replacing them yet. We have no complaints with them so far, but winter is coming soon and I'm wondering if we're going to need snows. Any thoughts?

tseekins 11-08-2009 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by david_jr (Post 8119561)
OK since we're talking tires, anyone here use a dedicated snow tire? We are in a pretty cold/snowy location and I am wondering if the 20" scorpions are going to get us around this winter. We get a lot of snow and occasional ice. The scorpions only have 12K on them and still look brand new so I can't really justify replacing them yet. We have no complaints with them so far, but winter is coming soon and I'm wondering if we're going to need snows. Any thoughts?

I looked at the Scorpions when I bought my Yoko's and decided on the Geolander instead. The Scorpion looked like a nice tire to me and seems plenty capable to keep a heavy truck / SUV mobile in all seasons.

Check tire rack and read the reviews if you feel you need more info.

Tim

kenttrudiw 11-19-2009 01:47 PM

I have the 18" STR's... I am fairly happy with them... I had a blow out on a 4wd rocky trail, the first trail I had taken the EB.... So I had to replace 2 of my tires with the exact STR tire...

My EB has about 24,000 mi, the 2 new tires have quite a bit more tread then the originals, the originals won't make it to 30,000mi....

I do like the quite ride, I have pulled a 5,000 lb boat around 5,000 mi, no problems at all, my truck stays straight down the highway....

Snow ok, we put it into A4WD all the time, then we are fine..... My next two tires, I might try something different.... But then I will be mismatched.....

david_jr 11-19-2009 11:43 PM

I checked the Tire Rack and they only had one winter tire available in the 20 inch size. It was the Blizzak at almost 2 bills per. OUCH! I think we'll try to ride out the winter on the STR's.

chuck s 11-20-2009 06:35 AM

Wide tires do poorly in the snow. But there's no reason to go with 20" tires for winter, the standard wheels are 17" and there are probably many brands that will work. Put the vanity aside while it's snowy. :-D

Lots of affordable 17" snow tires for the expedition.

All Seasons have worked well for me here in the Snow Belt. The all-terrain tread patterns are annoying on dry pavement and the all season mud and snow (M+S) labeled tires haven't failed me yet although I cheat and select 4x4Auto when it's snowy out. Previous experience with my Explorer was the same and now both are shod with the Bridgestone H/L Alenzas. Confidence inspiring tires.

-- Chuck

david_jr 11-20-2009 05:20 PM

Thanks Chuck. I didn't realize you could just bolt up 17's when they came 20 from the factory. Doesn't mess with the speedo? If that's the case I might just get a set come December if we are having problems getting around in the white. Last year we had snow already at this point in the year and it was white here right through April. This year its still hitting 50 occasionally and we haven't had much more than a dusting of snow yet. Everyone has been saying it is supposed to be a much worse winter this year though so we'll have to see how it goes.

chuck s 11-20-2009 06:33 PM

I don't know about the speedo.

The tire's external diameter is what counts, not the wheel diameter. My XLT has 17" tires and measure 30-3/4" diameter (tall).

The 17" tires are 70-series. The 20" tires are 55-series. Bigger wheel, lower tire profile.

-- Chuck

eddiemoney 11-20-2009 06:54 PM

I get a lot of snow here as well. The STRs are listed as "good" for snow traction on tirerack. I wouldn't buy a tire with this rating, but isn't as bad as many tires i have seen. This is my first winter with them, so I am intrigued how they perform as well.

I have had Kuhmos on most of my other cars, including my wife's subaru right now. They seem to get reasonable ratings and aren't very pricey:
Kumho Road Venture APT KL51

kjsway 11-21-2009 04:06 PM

I have the OEM Continental 17" tires on a 2007 and they have been bullet proof. 60K on the original tires and I live in the mountains and tow a boat. Plan on getting the same pair if about 5K miles.

chuck s 11-22-2009 07:20 AM

I had the same tires and replaced them a week ago. Before it snows here. 55,000 miles.

At the end I had the most wear toward the edges of the tire with deeper tread left in the center. Always ran door-post air pressures. I thought they were good tires but they're almost universally criticized here.

-- Chuck

bassguitarman 01-03-2010 09:58 PM

As predicted, my stock 20" scorpion STR's didn't make 30K. I bit the bullet and bought the michelin 20" LTX MS2, the day before oklahoma city's worst snowstorm ever. Best money I ever spent. No problems in 4WD at all through the ice or snow (14"). The highway ride is great, possibly a little louder than the STR's, but it is more likely a case of just having more tread on the tires.

Tylus 01-04-2010 12:37 AM

those Michelins are awesome...glad you like them

just wish they had more stylish profiles. they are somewhat boring looking to look at IMO. stupid, but I want the whole package to "mesh"...damn I sound like a chick