Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   How to change heater core? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/895048-how-to-change-heater-core.html)

jobguy 10-21-2009 07:26 AM

How to change heater core?

I have a 2003 6.0 crew cab 4x4. Need to replace the heater core. Any advice is very welcome. Tips, tricks etc.
Thanks
I live in MN, spent the last two winters without heat in the cab.

cheezit 10-21-2009 08:49 PM

Removal and Installation

NOTE: If a heater core leak is suspected, the heater core must be leak-tested before it is removed from the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 412-00.

All vehicles

Drain the engine coolant. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.
Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
Remove the quick disconnect clamps from the heater core.

Disengage the stops and lower the glove compartment door.
NOTICE: Do not attempt to bend any part of the panel/floor door lever. It is brittle and will break.

Remove the panel/floor door vacuum control motor.
Disconnect the vacuum line.
Remove the screws.
Rotate the vacuum control motor to disengage the lever and remove the vacuum control motor.

Remove the electronic blend door actuator and bracket assembly.
Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the 2 screws.
Rotate the blend door actuator and bracket assembly.

Remove the 7 screws.

Disconnect the wiring harness retainer from the heater core cover.
NOTICE: The heater core cover must be raised vertically before removal to avoid damage to the heater core housing.

Remove the heater core cover.
Raise the heater core cover.

Remove the heater core.

NOTICE: Position the temperature blend door manually to correctly align the actuator and the door. Do not power the actuator electrically. If it is not engaged with the temperature blend door, damage to the actuator can occur.

NOTE: Add gasket between housing and cover before installing cover.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
6.0L diesel vehicles

NOTE: Carry out Steps 11 through 13 only if installing a new heater core due to a leak.

Flush the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.
Release the clamp and disconnect the heater inlet hose at the engine.

Install a coolant flow restrictor (E1DZ-18D358-B) in the heater inlet hose.
Install the coolant flow restrictor approximately 127 mm (5 in) into the heater inlet hose with the tapered end facing toward the engine.
Install a worm-drive type hose clamp around the restrictor to secure it in place.

All vehicles

Fill the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.

right outta the book. and an easy job

jobguy 10-22-2009 07:46 AM

Special tool needed for heatercore hose disconnect?

Thanks for the detailed information.
Will I need to get a special tool to disconnect the hoses from the core?

69cj 10-22-2009 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 8060022)
Removal and Installation

NOTE: If a heater core leak is suspected, the heater core must be leak-tested before it is removed from the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 412-00.

All vehicles

Drain the engine coolant. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.
Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
Remove the quick disconnect clamps from the heater core.

Disengage the stops and lower the glove compartment door.
NOTICE: Do not attempt to bend any part of the panel/floor door lever. It is brittle and will break.

Remove the panel/floor door vacuum control motor.
Disconnect the vacuum line.
Remove the screws.
Rotate the vacuum control motor to disengage the lever and remove the vacuum control motor.

Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the 2 screws.
Rotate the blend door actuator and bracket assembly.

Remove the 7 screws.

Disconnect the wiring harness retainer from the heater core cover.
NOTICE: The heater core cover must be raised vertically before removal to avoid damage to the heater core housing.

Raise the heater core cover.

Remove the heater core.

NOTICE: Position the temperature blend door manually to correctly align the actuator and the door. Do not power the actuator electrically. If it is not engaged with the temperature blend door, damage to the actuator can occur.

NOTE: Add gasket between housing and cover before installing cover.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
6.0L diesel vehicles

NOTE: Carry out Steps 11 through 13 only if installing a new heater core due to a leak.

Flush the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.
Release the clamp and disconnect the heater inlet hose at the engine.

Install a coolant flow restrictor (E1DZ-18D358-B) in the heater inlet hose.
Install the coolant flow restrictor approximately 127 mm (5 in) into the heater inlet hose with the tapered end facing toward the engine.
Install a worm-drive type hose clamp around the restrictor to secure it in place.

All vehicles

Fill the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.

right outta the book. and an easy job

Nice write up cheezit. Moderator should add this to the tech folder. Reps to ya. :-bigparty

bismic 10-22-2009 04:22 PM

very nice information - thanks

markle 10-22-2009 05:55 PM

I just replaced mine (04 Lariat) 2 weeks ago. It was a little difficult, the hoses were hard to get off but didn't need a tool. I ended up buying new clips though, they were pretty mangled. $5 @ I think. Didn't realize there is a bracket up inside holding the tubes in place, that was hard to manage, only realized when installing the new one. I also somehow broke the blend door motor, I don't know how, it just wouldn't work afterwards. I had to buy a new one for $90. About 3 hours and $200 later I had it fixed. It may be obvious but I'm not real experienced at this but still managed. Good luck.

cheezit 10-22-2009 06:59 PM

to remove the heater hose just squeez the 2 tabs together and slid the hose off. they do make a o-ring kit for the hose. there not bad on cost you need 1 kit to reseal both hoses. and yes be very carefull with the blend door motor. they are a little tough to get off.

jobguy 10-23-2009 09:54 AM

Heater core tonight

I am starting the heater core change tonight. Will let you know how things go when I finish.
Thanks for all the great info and especially the detailed directions.

jobguy 10-28-2009 01:33 PM

Core change not going smoothly

Began the core removal. Was able to get only one of the quick disconnects off. Ordered the special tool for the other one on Monday the 26th. Might receive it tomorrow. Went to the Ford dealer to buy the parts kit with the new plastic quick release and o-rings. They wanted $40 for the entire kit which will do two hoses. Another dealer wanted $27 for the entire kit. NAPA does not carry the Ford kit but does have the Chevy kit (will the chevy kit work?).
Blend door removal is not too difficult if you know that one of the two screws you have to remove is on top of the blend door motor assembly and only accessible by feel. the other one is facing you as you are in the passenger side looking at the motor. If you need your truck take it to a local shop that has some experience with ford trucks and pay them. If you are not a medium to experienced mechanic let someone else do this job. I like the learning experience yet still am aggravated by this. The old style hose clamp worked fine and anyone could work on it.

bismic 10-28-2009 04:54 PM

jobguy -

Thanks for keeping us informed of your progress. It is always good to hear the conclusion!

cheezit 10-28-2009 06:38 PM

really you dont nedd any tools to get the clips off the hoses. that tool is kinda useless. I just press the tabs in with my fingers.

jobguy 10-29-2009 12:32 PM

Where did you get the kit?

Originally Posted by markle (Post 8062997)
I just replaced mine (04 Lariat) 2 weeks ago. It was a little difficult, the hoses were hard to get off but didn't need a tool. I ended up buying new clips though, they were pretty mangled. $5 @ I think. Didn't realize there is a bracket up inside holding the tubes in place, that was hard to manage, only realized when installing the new one. I also somehow broke the blend door motor, I don't know how, it just wouldn't work afterwards. I had to buy a new one for $90. About 3 hours and $200 later I had it fixed. It may be obvious but I'm not real experienced at this but still managed. Good luck.

Where did you buy the kit? for only $5?

markle 10-29-2009 05:14 PM

I got the clips (only) at Napa. $5 each

jobguy 10-31-2009 10:58 AM

Heater core parts update

I ended up paying $22 for the clip and o-ring kit (does two hoses) from Tousley Ford in White Bear Lake MN. Roughly have the cost Freeway ford in Bloomington MN wanted. The Tousley parts guy even went to the back of the store to get me a hose assembly just to show me how the parts went into the hose. Now that's service.
If you still have the NAPA part number someplace please let me know.

Kajtek1 04-25-2011 07:01 PM

My turn. The blend door assembly wasn't too hard, although finding the right socket took some time. I will try to take a picture tomorrow, but the assembly is having 2 screws who lock in the slots without removal and 1 screw that locks everything.
The clips were impossible to remove. I spend over 1/2 hr playing with them and am not sure I can reuse them. Would I know they will be so hard, I would cut the core pipes under the dashboard, pull the hoses with clips out on the open in engine bay and deal with them without crawling head under the firewall.