Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Ford Navigation Use While Driving (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/894313-ford-navigation-use-while-driving.html)

fire3110 10-18-2009 08:32 PM

Ford Navigation Use While Driving

Does anyone know if it is possible to somehow bypass the feature that Ford has on the factory in dash Navigation that prevents its operation while driving? I am trying to make the navigation system completely functional while driving, so that the passenger can type in an address or other features while the vehicle is traveling. Is there some type of secret code to disable this???? Thanks in advance.. The navigation is in a 2008 Expedition Limited EL.

CarbonClear 10-19-2009 12:33 PM

If you do a search in the archives, it will come up with a bypass to access your nav unit as when in motion. 2007 and later models with nav will need to access the hidden menu.:cool:

Tylus 10-19-2009 12:58 PM

really, so Ford is actuating the darn motion lock-out via the CanBus now?

crap. why couldn't they keep it on the brake trigger like everybody else

nckracer 10-19-2009 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonClear (Post 8051120)
If you do a search in the archives, it will come up with a bypass to access your nav unit as when in motion. 2007 and later models with nav will need to access the hidden menu.:cool:

I don't think you are correct when you say 2007 and later! I have a 2009 with the factory Gen II Navigation. The hidden menu steps do not work on 2009 and later. At least not until somebody figures it out!!

fire3110 10-20-2009 08:53 PM

Hidden Menu

How do u get to the hidden menu??

function12 10-21-2009 09:40 AM

Look here. I think I had to push a different corner in one of the steps but it does work on my 07.

berry1234 10-21-2009 10:39 AM

I don't think there is a menu overide for the newer radios. I did find this though.
FORD LOCKPICKS

bassguitarman 10-22-2009 07:48 PM

Has anyone actually installed the Coastal Electronic Technologies Sync Lockpick? Looks like a great item, but for $239 I hate to be the first guinea pig. It would be handy for the passenger to be able to use all nav functions while driving. It also says you can use the backup camera in all gears - then I could see if my smaller trailer was still behind me.

nckracer 10-23-2009 02:47 PM

I moved it to the #1 item on my Christmas list. But know my patience level, I may not be able to wait that long.

Watching the installation video on their website it looks pretty simple to install. I would sure like to see some feedback on this item if anyone gets one installed before I do!

Wife won't be too happy if she knows I can watch a DVD while driving:-X09

berry1234 10-23-2009 03:33 PM

Not to be the navigation nanny, but I don't see any problem with this product as long as the driver is NOT watching movies, etc. while driving. We had a driver kill someone near my house as he T-boned a car while watching a movie on his in dash dvd player. They knew it was 'fixed' to play while driving and it added to his charges.

bassguitarman 10-23-2009 03:35 PM

It's really tempting to try. I put lots of hours behind the wheel. But if they could just fix that boot up delay (probably microsoft) in the backup camera I would but it now.

nckracer 10-23-2009 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 8066028)
Not to be the navigation nanny, but I don't see any problem with this product as long as the driver is NOT watching movies, etc. while driving. We had a driver kill someone near my house as he T-boned a car while watching a movie on his in dash dvd player. They knew it was 'fixed' to play while driving and it added to his charges.

I wasn't serious about watching DVD's while driving, there are enough distractions already without a movie playing.

Other than the navigation itself, several components of Sirius Travel Link also shut down while driving, (sports scores, current and forecasted weather, movies and show times, ect.) Those would be nice to access. I am glad the live radar still works and auto updates while driving!

Bopper 10-24-2009 08:38 AM

I bought a 2008 Mustang w/ Ford Nav. I thought it sucked that you could not enter info on the move, thats what the passenger is for. So, I bought a 2008 Expy later this year without Nav and put a Pioneer F900BT w/ the bypass and loved it. I have since discovered the Secret Button Bypass for the Mustangs 2008 Ford Nav, it made it much nicer to use. The just got a software upgrade for the Pioneer and its even better. The MSN Direct now gets programable Stocks updates, Headline News, Weather, movie times, gas prices and other cool stuff.

berry1234 10-24-2009 09:42 AM

Found this on the forum somewhere.

"Boys I'm doing this from memory, so please don't lynch me if I miss a step. Please try if interested and let me know results. If for some reason I miss a step, be patient, I will figure it out. My nav now allows me to access POI's while the vehicle is in motion. You will not find this on internet. I finally found out at work.

Here we go!

1. Take vehicle outside and agree to nav instructions. The gps needs to know its position.

2. Push hard nav button (on right side of radio). Go to your address book. Pick any of one of your saved addresses. Now that address is highlighted, look to right and push soft edit button. You will now see name of saved address.

3. Clear name of saved address and type in F-DEVELOP ON
(make sure to put space between DEVELOP and ON).

4. Now look to the upper left corner and you will see the word ADDRESS. Place your finger directly under the A and hold. If you do this right, the screen should change to the map screen.

5. Now push your hard menu button (on left side of radio). Across top of radio push soft SECURITY button. You have now entered security screen. You will see nothing in the right most corner of nav screen. Push your finger and hold in that position till the screen changes.

6. You now have entered a parameter screen. Locate DRIVING RESTRICTIONS release. When you push the button it should change to driving restrictions stop. Exit the screen by pushing the soft BACK button.

7. Congrats you have just programmed your factory nav radio. NOTE: Every time you turn your vehicle off, you will need to repeat steps 5 & 6.

Good luck and enjoy. If you choose to monkey around with your other parameters, do so at your own risk. I will not be responsible for your dealer service call. If you have any further questions, please pm me and I will do my best to help. This programming sequence should work for only the so called first generation navs. It will not work in the MY09, second generation. This has been used to reprogram many MY 07 and MY 08 Ford vehicles. "

TIKT B8 10-26-2009 09:17 PM

The instructions that Berry posted worked for me. I have been using my Nav like this for weeks.