Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   NOS Mirrors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/893383-nos-mirrors.html)

dentsideranger 10-15-2009 04:32 PM

NOS Mirrors

Has anyone seen NOS mirrors for a 78-79 truck lately? I used to see them on ebay from time to time, but nothing for months now.

Dont want to use the aftermarket pieces, but may not have a choice. The heads from my orginals were nice, but the chrome brackets where they mount to the door are junk.

Thanks

Jermafenser 10-15-2009 05:29 PM

Which ones?

I've got a set of original Ford NOS 6x9 stainless type 9 mirrors that is taking up space.

dentsideranger 10-16-2009 06:39 AM

Not sure of the exact type. What I would refer to as standard door mirrors, not tow mirrors or west coast jrs or the small car style mirrors.

Mine have a unique stainless stamped head that I thought was only available on 78 -79 trucks... slightly different styling than the 73-77 mirror head, but approximately the same overall mirror glass size and location as the 73-77.

Not sure if that makes any sense... I'll try to get ford P/N.

Thanks

SoupCan™ 10-16-2009 10:17 AM

put up a pic..they offered a crazy amount of diff mirrirs for these trucks

Rich

fetchitfido 10-16-2009 10:35 AM

LMC's standard mirror was an exact match for the existing mirror's in my '78. I'll have to get a 2nd one sometime as the drivers side is froze up but at least the mirror glass is still there.

Jermafenser 10-16-2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by dentsideranger (Post 8040503)
Not sure of the exact type. What I would refer to as standard door mirrors, not tow mirrors or west coast jrs or the small car style mirrors.

Mine have a unique stainless stamped head that I thought was only available on 78 -79 trucks... slightly different styling than the 73-77 mirror head, but approximately the same overall mirror glass size and location as the 73-77.

Not sure if that makes any sense... I'll try to get ford P/N.

Thanks

Is this the one you need? This is the type that came in stainless steel. I pulled a used one from the parts bin for the pic.

https://i649.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1255713896

dentsideranger 10-16-2009 02:57 PM

That's the stainless head style I've seen for all of the aftermarket replacements, and the orignals from 73 -77, but mine is slightly different stamping.

The head on my mirrors is the exact same overall size as the one in your pic, and it attaches the same way, but the head stamping is different.

I will take a pic this weekend and post.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to post that pic...

NumberDummy 10-16-2009 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by dentsideranger (Post 8040503)

I'll try to get ford P/N.
I'll save you the trouble.

D8TZ17682A .. Low Mount Swing Lock Mirror Kit.

The stainless steel mirror head is 6" x 9" / This mirror was unique to 1978/79 F100/350's & Bronco's.

The glass in the mirror head (D8TZ17723A) mounts directly to the mirror body without a gasket.

The only difference between this mirror and the following is the mirror head.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
D8TZ17682E .. Low Mount Swing Lock Mirror Kit.

The stainless steel mirror head is 6" x 9" / This mirror was unique to 1978/79 F100/350's & Bronco's.

The glass in the mirror head (D9TZ17723A) mounts to the mirror body with a black rubber gasket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These two mirror heads were also available separately.

Unique to 1978/79 means as original. However, there's no telling how many 1973/77's could have these mirrors on them today because of ppl swapping things around.

Then there's this to consider: The STANDARD equipment mirror on all 1973/79 F100/350's and 1978/79 Bronco's except Camper/Trailer Specials was the so-called passenger car mirror.

NONE of these mirrors were factory installed...as original...not a single one a them.

The passenger car mirror type came wrapped in plastic, stuck inside the cab at the factory, ditto for any other mirror types that may have been ordered.

The dealers installed all the outside mirrors, and dealers would install any ol' mirror they had in stock...as long as sorta matched the type the customer ordered.

The reason the dealers installed the outside mirrors was. If the mirrors were factory installed, and the customer wanted something else, the holes would have to be filled in and the doors repainted.

This is the other reason why these 1978/79 mirrors can be found on 1973/77's.

Note: The 1973/77 mirror heads (there were two different ones) are 5 1/4" x 8 1/4"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Question: Do you want the entire mirror kit(s), or just the mirror head(s)?

Jermafenser 10-16-2009 04:32 PM

Those are the original Fords. It's still available from Ford as well. I have a NOS set of these. Aftermarket copies of those mirrors began popping up about twenty years ago. They are crap, crap, crap.

If that's not it, then you want the mirrors like these (on my '78 F150 Lariat):

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...0/100_3821.jpg

Those mirrors have been obsolete for YEARS. They also came in black for Broncos/Free Wheeling Broncos/trucks/vans.

The other mirrors were also installed on '78/'79s. I've seen/owned countless '78/'79 trucks and vans with these mirrors.

Just like NumberDummy (Bill) said, the mirrors were installed by jockeys at the dealer. So you could have gotten either style. I like the latter better. But there isn't any NOS set anywhere. It's been obsolete for a LONG time.

NumberDummy 10-16-2009 05:25 PM

D8TZ17682A .. Low Mount Swing Lock Mirror Kit / Obsolete

No Ford Dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any.

D8TZ17723A .. Mirror Head-Stainless / 6" x 9" / Obsolete

Mirror glass mounts directly to the mirror body without a gasket.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has ONE = 800-543-4959.

GLOFF FORD-MERCURY in Clifton TX has ONE = 254-675-8369.

B. F. WHITE MOTOR CO. in Stanton TX has ONE = 432-756-3321.

EARL FLOYD FORD in Carrolton KY has ONE = 800-732-2037.

SAPP FORD in Baxley GA has TWO = 912-367-2466.

No other Ford Dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any.
---------------------------------------------
D8TZ17682E .. Low Mount Swing Lock Mirror Kit / Obsolete

D9TZ17723A .. Mirror Head-Stainless / 6" x 9" / Obsolete

Mirror glass mounts to the mirror body with a black rubber gasket.

dentsideranger 10-17-2009 04:49 AM

Bill -

Thanks for all the info!

My mirror heads are the D8TZ17723A .. Mirror Head-Stainless / 6" x 9" / Obsolete

Mirror glass mounts directly to the mirror body without a gasket.

They are just like ones Chad has on his Lariat.

The heads I have are probably salvageable, but the chrome brackets on the mirror arms are rusted. At a minimum I was hoping to find a good set of the original style arms to use with the mirror heads I have.

The aftermarket arms that I've found, have the upper mount bushing spring exposed above the chrome bracket rather than hidden under the bracket as seen in Chad's picture above.

Chad -

are you willing to split the mirror assys, and part with the arms?

NumberDummy 10-17-2009 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by dentsideranger (Post 8043767)
The heads I have are probably salvageable, but the chrome :-huh brackets on the mirror arms are rusted. At a minimum I was hoping to find a good set of the original style arms to use with the mirror heads I have.

Chrome brackets? Chrome? The original brackets are stainless steel.

Look at that bracket on Chad's truck, does it look like it's chrome? Not to me, it doesn't. It's the dull stainless steel finish these mirrors came with.

If the brackets were chrome, the sun reflecting off of them could be brutal!

If you have chrome brackets, the mirrors are not Gen-U-Ine Ford, they are autoparts store gypo's.

Autoparts stores like Western Auto, NAPA and etc sold mirrors that sorta resemble the Ford mirrors, but the brackets were chrome...or painted.

Parts catalog sez: D8TZ17682A .. Low Mount Swing Lok Mirror Kit / R.H. or L.H. STAINLESS STEEL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford also offered these same mirrors (on 1978/79 F100/350's only) with a painted finish. Parts catalog doesn't list the color, but it was either gray or white.

D8TZ17682B .. Low Mount Swing Lok Mirror Kit / R.H. or L.H. Painted / Obsolete

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has ONE = 800-543-4959. No Ford Dealer, no other obsolete parts vendor has any.

D8TZ17723B .. Mirror Head-Painted / 6" x 9" / Use with D8TZ17682B mirror / Obsolete

KLIMESH AUTO SALES in Calmar IA has ONE = 563-562-3241.

NOS PARTS SOURCE in Lenexa KS has ONE = 913-220-5746.

FITZPATRICK & LAMBERT FORD in Dushore PA has ONE = 570-928-8184.

CARPENTER OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has TWO = 704-786-8139.

No other Ford Dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any.

dentsideranger 10-17-2009 07:17 AM

The arms are dull stainless, but the brackets that mount to the doors are chromed steel, and mine are rusted even worse than Chad's. These brackets also provide the pivots for the "swing" feature.

The top chrome bracket hides the wave washer (spring) for the pivot lock.

Hope that helps to clarify things a bit.

You're up at... 4am on Saturday?

NumberDummy 10-17-2009 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by dentsideranger (Post 8043885)
The arms are dull stainless, but the brackets that mount to the doors are chromed steel, and mine are rusted even worse than Chad's. These brackets also provide the pivots for the "swing" feature.

The top chrome bracket hides the wave washer (spring) for the pivot lock.

Hope that helps to clarify things a bit. Yes, it does. :)

You're up at... 4am on Saturday?

Sure why not...I'm usually on FTE at this time...everyday....and most a the time, even earlier.

When one is retired (I'm 65), and "She, who must be obeyed" and all my friends are working...there ain't much else to do 'round here.

I might be able to find just those brackets you need by themselves. Will let you know later today....right now...it's time for my nap!

Blown 331 10-17-2009 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jermafenser (Post 8042024)
Aftermarket copies of those mirrors began popping up about twenty years ago. They are crap, crap, crap.

Whats wrong with the aftermarket ones? The guy above says the LMC mirror are exactly the same as his original one. I also read another guy on here say he's had the LMC mirrors on his truck for 5 or 6 years and they still look great.

I was thinking of ordering them from LMC or Bronco Graveyard. Only $50 each with hardware. They look nice to me!

Door Mirror, Support and Head

http://broncograveyard.com/images/ca...879DRMRROR.JPG

On my truck I noticed that one mirror is stainless but one of them is chromed steel that is starting to rust, anyone know whats up with that? I guess one of mine is already aftermarket? The LMC and Bronco Graveyard mirrors are both stainless though.