Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Door locks, auto headlights, and dash lights problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/891977-door-locks-auto-headlights-and-dash-lights-problem.html)

HogTied 10-11-2009 10:20 AM

Door locks, auto headlights, and dash lights problem

Thursday morning when I got into my truck to go to work I smelled a strange electrical smell but didn't think anything of it. Later that day, I tried to unlock my passenger side door with the keyless entry, but it didn't work. I went inside and tried using the button on the driver's door to unlock it, but it didn't work. While I started to take off, I noticed the truck didn't try to automatically lock the doors like it should. I then tried to lock them myself, but it didn't work. The only thing that does work is it will UNLOCK the driver's door. That's it.

Another thing I noticed that stopped working on Thursday is the dash lights when you have the headlights set to AUTO. If you turn them on manually, the dash lights work fine.

Does anybody know what could have happened and if it can be easily fixed?

screwy 10-11-2009 01:18 PM

Sounds like your body control module, and electrical smells are never good. Id start checking fuses.

HogTied 10-11-2009 08:58 PM

What is a body control module?

screwy 10-12-2009 12:46 PM

It’s that lil black box everyone’s always looking for when they’ve lost the code for their door. It’s behind the rear seat in most trucks. It controls the door locks, auto headlights etc.

mlytc 10-12-2009 05:11 PM

Probably a short in the instrument cluster, just got my wife's 06 expedition out of the shop for the same thing, auto lights wouldn't work, worked fine manually, radio would not turn off with the key removed and the door open, A/C blew but compressor would not cycle to get cold air, interior lights wouldn't come on when you opened the door, etc... The mechanic said he would have bet his paycheck it was the body control module.

HogTied 10-14-2009 01:23 AM

Mine's a single cab 4x4. Where is the box located?

HogTied 10-15-2009 06:45 AM

??????????

Oldguy4 10-15-2009 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by HogTied (Post 8032899)
Mine's a single cab 4x4. Where is the box located?

No one answered this? I don't know for sure, but can't help but think it would be mounted in the back of the cab just behind the seat back. But I'm worried about that electrical smell you had. That don't sound good right there.

screwy 10-15-2009 09:13 PM

Should still be on the back wall behind the drivers seat.

HogTied 10-16-2009 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by screwy (Post 8039662)
Should still be on the back wall behind the drivers seat.

Must be behind the plastic wall because its not anywhere in sight.

lv2race 10-18-2009 10:47 AM

I had weird electrical problems with the Expo and read somewhere here that the windshield seal will leak and water will drip on the ECM, which should be located by your left foot under the dash, possibly behind the plastic cover. Have you had rain lately? My windshield was cracked anyway, so I had it replaced and we have not experienced any of the electrical issues since.

HogTied 10-18-2009 09:00 PM

The passenger side floorboard was wet before this all happened.

lv2race 10-19-2009 12:57 AM

Sounds like a windshield leak to me.

HogTied 10-23-2009 06:50 AM

I just need to know what I need to replace to get the door locks and everything else working again.

Oldguy4 10-23-2009 03:16 PM

One thing you can check is to make sure you didn't get moisture in the fuse panel where it started corroding. You might have to disconnect the battery and then pull the fuse panel off its mounting location to see behind it. I've seen posts on here before where water has wicked in from under the hood following the harnes through the fire wall and gotten into the fuse panel. You said you had water on the floor of the passenger side.