Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Brake bleed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/891904-brake-bleed.html)

cv18sro 10-10-2009 11:09 PM

Brake bleed

My brake fluid is very dark and appears burnt. So I want to change the fluid. I have never done this with a vehicle with anti locks. I have a 2001 Ford F150 4x4 Off Road pkg.

Can I simply bleed them like you would an older vehicle or is there a certain procedure you must do because of the anti locks? Last thing I need is to ruin something.

shanes66charger 10-11-2009 10:10 PM

I honestly don't know about bleeding an anti-lock system. I am quite sure though that you need a power bleeder or something to do it. I don't think you can just do it like you would a non anti-lock system.

I am sure someone with more knowledge on the subject than me will be along to help you soon!

good luck

Joe Finn 10-12-2009 05:57 AM

I bled the brakes on my '97 the "old fashioned way" and it worked great, but I don't think you can do it that way if you open up the system.

redwood 10-12-2009 07:43 AM

I used a large syringe and pulled all the old fluid out of the master cylinder, refilled it, and then bled my brakes. I got most of the old stuff out without having to spend all day bleeding.........

cv18sro 10-12-2009 11:24 PM

I figured on changing the Master Cyl fluid first but was worried I may cause a problem if I started bleeding the old fashion way. Brakes is not something to mess with so I wanted to be careful. Money is tight so if it was easy I was going to do it. If not I guess I will have to dip into savings.

Joe Finn 10-13-2009 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by cv18sro (Post 8029010)
Brakes is not something to mess with so I wanted to be careful.

Don't do what I did. I got distracted (kids) when I was finishing up bleeding and left the box wrench on the bleeder. When I turned the wheel pulling out of my driveway for the "road test", the wrench cut the brake hose. Used the e-brake to get back in the driveway. I suppose changing the hoses wasn't a bad thing, just not the way I did it.

redwood 10-13-2009 06:50 AM

As long as you have fluid in the master cylinder when you start bleeding, you'll be fine. Start from the farthest wheel and work toward the master cylinder, and keep a routine check on the fluid level so you don't bleed it all out. Keep that reservoir topped off. And have whoever is pumping the brakes to do it slowly so as not to aerate the lines.

thomastl 10-13-2009 06:58 AM

For the ABS system you have to apply pressure to the system to open the ABS ports. You can do it regular but that will not get the fluid out of the ABS pump.
Motive products makes a great one person system. You can buy the entire canister and cap adapter for $54.95 from Summit Racing.
Motive Products 0107 - Motive Products Power Bleeder Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Or if you have a compressor and pressure regulator you can just buy the adapter for the ford and use your compressor turned down to 20 psi.
Motive Products 1107 - Motive Products Domestic and Import Adapter Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com cost $24.95

Even if you get the entire kit - don't put fluid in the bleeder tank. Just use it for pressure.

1. Remove as much old fluid from your master cylinder as you can without going all the way to the bottom and allowing air in.
2. Refill with fresh fluid
3. Install Motive cap and pressurize system to 20 psi.(don't go over or you could damage something)
4. Open bleeder screw and allow fluid to run out. The pressure will push it out without any peddle pumping. Just have a friend watch the master cylinder to make sure you don't go too low on fluid.
5. Remove Motive cap and refill and go to the next wheel.

cv18sro 10-13-2009 10:11 PM

Two seperate mechanics told me today that they can be bleed the old fashion way and to keep fluid in it. The told me the ABS pump would still have old fluid but it does not hold much fluid. Both mechanics told me bleed the brakes and then find a gravel spot or dirt spot and stab the brakes making the ABS engage. This would push out the old and in with the new. The minute of old fluid would mix with new. They did say to do it totally right to buy the kit but they said it is not totally necessary.

So I guess this weekend I will work on it.

cv18sro 10-17-2009 07:24 PM

Well got them bled and I have never seen brake fluid that dark in any of my vehicles. I drained each one into a 12 ounce clear cup and the fluid was almost black. I did each one until it ran clear. Took almost a full quart to get them all but its done and hopefully saved me some costly reapirs or brake failure in the future.

While I worked on the did a radiator flush and changed the thermostat. Glad I did the thermostat was stuck partially open. I thought it was being a little cold blooded the past few months.:-X21

If anyone needs to do this it was pretty painless other than the wife complaining about pumping the pedal so much.