Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum267/)
-   -   Questions about 61-63 trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/891556-questions-about-61-63-trucks.html)

IvelDesigns 10-09-2009 06:07 PM

Questions about 61-63 trucks

I'm considering buying my first Ford, and need some info. What i'm looking at is a '63 F-100 Unibody SWB that is real solid and straight.

However, the tailgate is pretty much un-usable, and the core support would need a couple days worth of work to repair.

Here are the questions I have.

What year core supports will work on this '63?
What year tailgates are the same as what I have on this '63?
Did the unibody trucks come in both SWB and LWB or just SWB?
During 61-63, were all trucks unibody?
What kind of quatity should I expect from the re-poppers? I don't have much sheet metal to buy/repalce, but will probably need a core support and possibly floors if i don't fab them myself.

Other than ebay and CL, what sites are good for member to member classified ads? I looked at the one here, and didn't see a whole lot of stuff, and nothing in this year.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm planning to build this truck over the winter, paint in the spring, and get it on the road by summer. The overall look will be a muscle truck; good rake, meaty tires, gun metal gray on black two-tone. More than likely i'll start a build thread here as well.

gritsngumbo 10-09-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by IvelDesigns (Post 8018076)

I believe they are all the same 61-64 (65/66 are different)

What year tailgates are the same as what I have on this '63?
61-63 Unibody tailgates will fit, don't believe there's a difference in the long bed and the short bed. The are being repoped.

Did the unibody trucks come in both SWB and LWB or just SWB?
Long and Short Wheel base trucks were manufactured

No, they also made long and short flare side F100's and in mid-62 the started using the 57-60 "wrong beds" with the Flare side cab for a "style side" type truck, due to customer dissatisfaction with the Unibody trucks

What kind of quatity should I expect from the re-poppers? Depends on where you buy, the US made stuff is pretty good, but the Chinese/Taiwaneese stuff, not so muchI don't have much sheet metal to buy/repalce, but will probably need a core support and possibly floors if i don't fab them myself.

Other than ebay and CL, what sites are good for member to member classified ads? I looked at the one here, and didn't see a whole lot of stuff, and nothing in this year.
Suggest you use "the google" and search for 61-66 Ford trucks Be careful using either e-bay or CL as most of the sellers appear to be clueless as to what fits what. Make sure what you are buying will actually fit your truck.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm planning to build this truck over the winter, paint in the spring, and get it on the road by summer. The overall look will be a muscle truck; good rake, meaty tires, gun metal gray on black two-tone. More than likely i'll start a build thread here as well.

Welcome from Louisiana. I've attempted to answer some of your questions.

IvelDesigns 10-09-2009 06:56 PM

thanks for the info. Any clue who LMC uses? I have a buddy who's a dealer for them, but he mostly deals with chevy stuff, so i doubt he has seen any of the ford re-popped stuff.

gritsngumbo 10-09-2009 07:02 PM

Some of LMC's stuff is OK, some not so much. Just do a search, jump on some sites and do a lot of reading. Some good info out there and you can learn from other's mistakes. When you get enough posts you can send a PM (private message) and I'll help to get you hooked up with some sources.

IvelDesigns 10-09-2009 07:04 PM

really? i can't PM until i get a number of posts? how many posts would that be?

thx for the help btw.

gritsngumbo 10-09-2009 07:06 PM

Not sure. More than 4 :-)

IvelDesigns 10-09-2009 07:10 PM

I'm doing some research, so maybe i'll find enough threads to reply to :)

Bill W 10-09-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by IvelDesigns (Post 8018290)
really? i can't PM until i get a number of posts? how many posts would that be?

thx for the help btw.

that would be 25 posts.

gritsngumbo 10-09-2009 07:19 PM

Try posting your e-mail in your profile. You can be contacted that way and it's still not public. I don't like to put my e-mail in posts.

gangstakr 10-09-2009 09:02 PM

I've got core supports for 61-64 They fit the following:

C2TZ16138G = 1961/64 F100/250 2WD/4WD / 1961/66 F350/600 / 1965 F100/250 4WD / 1966 F250 4WD.

If interested email me at robert.regina@verizon.net

NumberDummy 10-09-2009 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by IvelDesigns (Post 8018076)
C2TZ16138G See Gangstakr's post above ^ ^ ^ for all the applications.

Ford canceled the Uni-Body midyear 1963 (not 1962). Then used the 1957/60 so-called wrong beds on 2WD Styleside pickups.

The reason Ford canceled the Uni was, when cargo shifted in the bed, the doors POPPED open. I kid you not!

Back then, lap seats belts were an extra cost option. No shoulder harnesses were available.

Most trucks did not have seat belts and people literally fell out of the cab when the doors popped open.

Again, I kid you not! Still want a Uni?

Something to consider: 1961/64 trucks have an oxcart ride due to leaf springs front and rear. Adding Power Steering and/or Disc Brakes is expensive, and not EZ to do.

These earlier trucks came with 223/262 I-6's or 292's. Swapping in a later engine is a PITA.

1965/66 F100/250's 2WD's have Twin-I-Beam front suspension. Adding P/S, Disc brakes from a 1969/79 F100 2WD, or 1975/79 F150 3WD is a bolt on operation.

Swapping in a later engine is one whole hell of lot easier.

Bottom Line: The 1965/66's look almost exactly the same as 1961/64's, and are a FAR better truck.

IvelDesigns 10-09-2009 10:53 PM

that's an awesome fact to know. fortunately, this truck isn't going to see anything other than fold up chairs, a fold up canopy, and a cooler.

I guess I'll have to make sure to only keep a 12 pack in the cooler :)

I'll also be installing some 3 point belt as well.

gritsngumbo 10-10-2009 08:53 AM

IMO, it all boils down to personal preference. Some like blondes, some like redheads, some like straight axle trucks, some like the twin I-beams. If the twin I beams were so great they would still be using them. Not much difference in the ride quality in a 46 year old truck and a 44 year old truck. AFAIK the door popping open story is an unconfirmed myth. BTW: I didn't say they quit making the Uni in mid 63, I said that they started offering the wrong bed option in mid 62. If you like the Uni buy the Uni. It's your truck. Buy what you want and do what you want with it.

charliemccraney 10-10-2009 09:21 AM

I'm partial to the Uni.

I don't think the disc brake swap is any more difficult on a solid axle truck. The biggest difference I see is aftermarket brackets have to be used and everything cannot be pulled from a donor. If you're in a situation where you need to redo the drums, I strongly recommend that you bite the bullet and upgrade to discs. Depending on just what needs to be replaced, the cost may not be much more, the labor is about the same, and the difference in braking ability is night and day. Future maintenance will be easier. Front discs is win win in my opinion.

Depending on your budget and desire for performance, the engines that came in a uni may not be favorable. A small block or big block can be built with more power for a lot less. If you want to be a little more unique, then the I6 or Y-block will work great. They can be built for power just be prepared for the cost.
In any case, you will have a blast doing what you want to do.

jhooch 10-10-2009 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by gritsngumbo (Post 8019936)
If the twin I beams were so great they would still be using them.

Uh....they are still using them, in the 2WD Super Duties and Econolines. The best way to go is do what I did and just own one of each. That way you get the swap simplicity of the 65-66 and the sweet lines of the 61-63 Uni. Nothing like a Ranchero on steroids!