Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   2008 F250 6.4L Diesel: White Smoke (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/887664-2008-f250-6-4l-diesel-white-smoke.html)

bhalulko 09-25-2009 08:23 PM

2008 F250 6.4L Diesel: White Smoke

Good day. I'm about 5 minutes new to this site, and I'm just looking for some general help with my 2008 F250. Around 25k miles, I started noticing that pure white smoke would occasionally pour from the exhaust, concurrent with severe loss in power. This was prevalent after driving far distances in rain and then pulling out from a stop, or in dry conditions at low ambient temperatures when in regen.

Up to 36k miles, it started happening more frequently. Now, it would happen whether it's in regen or not, whether it's raining or not, whether it's cold out or not.

I took it to the Ford dealership this week, and they say that they've reprogrammed it. I've only put on about 30 miles since the reprogram, but now, it's blowing out a puff of black/white smoke when accelerating from a stop, just like any other diesel truck would do without all of the added emissions controls on the exhaust. Furthermore, the exhaust now smells like any other older diesel truck would smell, when before the reprogram, it had a very new, distinct, and almost intolerable smell to the exhaust. Finally, the exhaust pressure is much higher, and seems hotter, than it was before the reprogram.

I'm lost on this problem, and I've got to drive the truck from PA to Michigan on Monday morning, for work. I don't know whether these new symptoms are normal and not symptoms at all, or if they could be the result of a bad reprogram.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Mustang6147 09-25-2009 08:51 PM

I dont know much about the new diesels, I know enough though to stay away from the new pick-up ones... White smoke historically ment a blown head gasket. On a semi, white smoke still means a blown head gasket. and certain loss of power. I will offer this info. Going from PA to Mich. In Ohio if you have trouble, the dealer I would call if you need help is Valley Ford Truck, or Liberty Ford. Those are the only dealers around Cleveland, I would trust.

To me it sounds like, they just put more fuel to an engine with a blown head gasket, but like I said, I really dont know.

I might also add, scroll down to the 6.4 section of the forums, and post it there.

mrqb22 09-27-2009 11:31 AM

sounds like a headgasket...I would try to get it in while its still under warranty as they will charge you big labor to do them if it ends up being the headgasket(s)

silverstang 09-27-2009 03:18 PM

Ok lets go over a few things. These new ford diesels aren't prone to blowing head gaskets. There is a RARE case of white smoke and lacking power while raining, that actually has to do with the charge air cooler getting water in it. A Ford Feild Service Engineer actually tipped me off on that situation. You would have to contact the dealership and ask them of this problem, and let them contact the hotline to find out more information as I cannot remember the exact conversation, but it is a known issue with the engineers.

Is the inside of the exhaust tips black? This would mean you have an issue with the DPF filter. Most likely an internal crack, and would need replacement.

White smoke commonly on a 6.0 Ford diesel was an indication of a blown EGR cooler, and is fairly common (although not as much) with the 6.4 diesel engines. It can also be a fuel injector issue. Make sure your oil level is correct and not overful, and also check to make sure the coolant level isn't low (indication of a problem). During Regeneration it is normal to have a lack of power, some smoke, and lower fuel economy.

John7894 09-27-2009 03:32 PM

Post this in the 2008 6.4L diesel section. Or maybe a mod will move it.

Was the truck built before Oct 1, 2008? If so, it probably needs the CAC (Charge Air Cooler, think Intercooler) replaced under TSB 08-25-1 (6.4L DIESEL - WHITE SMOKE IN DAMP WEATHER CONDITIONS WHEN ACCELERATING - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 10/1/2008).

I just had mine done this past week. Mine would blow and stumble in rainy weather or early AM. Basically the early CAC design allows water to puddle in it somewhere since the turbo compresses it the water out of the air...

I also had an Exhaust Temp Sensor replaced that was bad. This was causing puffs of white smoke when accelerating during regens and also causing it to smoke you out while sitting in traffic while regening...

F350-6 09-27-2009 08:52 PM

Smoke of any color is not considered normal out of the 6.4. The puff of black and normal diesel smell would have me waiting to see if the latest flash helped with the MPG's (fingers crossed). If not, I'd plan on visiting a different dealer.

Originally Posted by silverstang (Post 7975846)
There is a RARE case of white smoke and lacking power while raining, that actually has to do with the charge air cooler getting water in it. A Ford Feild Service Engineer actually tipped me off on that situation.

Do you mean like pre-turbo, inside the air intake stream of the CAC :eek: Air filter issue? I've heard about snow, but not rain.

Tom 09-27-2009 10:05 PM

Sounds like this to me, it's a common problem with the '08 trucks...

Originally Posted by TSB 08-25-1
2/22/08
6.4L DIESEL - WHITE SMOKE IN DAMP WEATHER
CONDITIONS WHEN ACCELERATING - VEHICLES
BUILT BEFORE 10/1/2008
FORD:
2008-2009F-Super Duty
ISSUE
Some 2008-2009 F-Super Duty 250-550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine and built before 10/1/2008 may exhibit significant amounts of white smoke from the exhaust pipe while driving in high humidity or rainy conditions at temperatures above 40 °F (4 °C). This smoke only appears during a moderate to full throttle tip-in that is performed after a period of steady state driving.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
This procedure only applies if the vehicle meets the following criteria:
^ Concern is described as significant amounts of white smoke from the exhaust pipe.
^ White smoke only occurs in high humidity or rainy conditions above 40 °F (4 °C).
^ White smoke only appears during a moderate to heavy tip-in that is performed after a period of steady state driving (approximately 20 minutes)
^ No diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are present.
^ Concern is not a result of regeneration, a cleaning exhaust filter event.
If all of the criteria above is true, then replace the Charge Air Cooler Assembly with a new revised part per Workshop Manual, Section 303-12.
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

spen1213 01-12-2011 08:42 PM

My 2008 f350 blows white smoke out when its cold and moderate to full throttle is applied, is it will the charge air cooler they say causing this?

bhalulko 01-12-2011 08:46 PM

will still do it in cold regardless if CAC is replaced...especially while in regen.

Fordfanatic4life 01-12-2011 08:59 PM

have you checked to see if you are in fact losing coolant ???

that should be easy to spot by looking at the overflow bottle.

spen1213 01-12-2011 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life (Post 9816133)
have you checked to see if you are in fact losing coolant ???

that should be easy to spot by looking at the overflow bottle.

Coolant level is a little low, everything I have researched points to the CAC

spen1213 01-12-2011 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by bhalulko (Post 9816066)
will still do it in cold regardless if CAC is replaced...especially while in regen.

Truck wasnt in regen when this happened????

whitezombie1 02-17-2011 03:07 PM

i own a 2008 250 and have recently started having the blowing white smoke problem. like some of you say it happens when accelerating. but it has yet to happen while it was wet outside. the smoke has a sweet smell like coolant is burning. at this very moment it is at my local ford dealership here in waco and they have done pressure tests and checked the computer and nothing is leaking. they told me at first it was just my truck trying to go through the routine cleaning exhaust system stage... i am baffled i dont like having white smoke pour out of the back of a 45,000 dollar truck. thats just me

Ky6.4 02-18-2011 04:34 PM

Mine does it .it's a stuck erg. It finally stuck all the way and ford changed it out. It only did it on long trips at a steady speed.

Ky6.4 02-18-2011 04:36 PM

I have the dpf delete and programmed but it still does it on long trips