Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Expy pulls to left after tire rotation? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/876993-expy-pulls-to-left-after-tire-rotation.html)

berry1234 08-17-2009 10:51 AM

Expy pulls to left after tire rotation?

Rotated the tires-which I have done every 7-10K miles-I now have 33K and now the truck pulls to the left. It tracked perfectly straight before I moved them. I have not had the alignment done, but I am thinking it is radial pull? The wear on the tires is not bad, not perfect either. Some slight feathering on the middle tread on two of the tires, a slight outer wear one, but a lot of tread left.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Tylus 08-17-2009 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 7837957)
Some slight feathering on the middle tread on two of the tires, a slight outer wear one, but a lot of tread left.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

you have those POS Pirelli Scorpion STR? because mine are <3,000 miles and they pull/wiggle/wander all over the road

try swapping the 2 front tires around and see if she pulls to the right now. And where is the one with the outer tread wear located?

berry1234 08-17-2009 11:58 AM

I have the Continental Contitrac TR. I think it's multiple tires. I swapped the fronts, pull changes. Swapped the back pull changes. Put them back to the original locations, drives straight. Go figure.

IQ9 08-17-2009 12:41 PM

Do you think your alignment may be slightly out and the rotation may be magnifying the pull? I am thinking about clipping a driveway curb or parking block since your last rotation. Happened to me in my G.

berry1234 08-17-2009 12:59 PM

It's possible. I guess I will have the alignment checked and I can rule that out 100%. I know my 07's alignment was off right from the factory.

IQ9 08-17-2009 03:24 PM

Hope that solves it, drove me nuts until someone on G35 board suggested the alignmentmight be the next step and for me it was.

berry1234 08-17-2009 04:59 PM

Anyone know a legitimate price for a alignment? Do the rear wheels need/can be aligned?

n2umr 08-18-2009 08:47 AM

You have to remember that roadways are crowned so your tires wear differently. So if you rotate them from one side to the other you will notice a pull because the tread is worn differently than the other side. You should just cross the front tires and see if the pull goes away, if it does then it is your tires.

Mark

gddyup 08-18-2009 09:02 AM

4 wheel alignments usually run around $60-$80 or so around here. The Expy probably has at least a rear toe adjustment since it's IRS. I have not looked under mine yet so I'm not certain about that, but IRS typically has some adjustment. Do a 4 wheel alignment. Don't short change yourself doing a front wheel only if it's offered. You want all the wheels in spec or very close to it. You want your toe and camber in spec at least up fornt. Caster can be off some on one or both sides as long as it's not way out of spec. The cross-caster however should always be in spec. The service advisor or tech should give you a completed sheet with before and after readings.

You *might* need adjustment cams for the front though if the truck has never had an alignment before. Again, I haven't been underneath the suspension of my 07 yet so this is more of an FYI so you're not hit with a cost you weren't expecting. If it needs cams, you'll have to purchase the cam set and have them installed. The alignment shops typically will do that and the cost varies by shop. Figure at least $40-$60 or so for the cams and at least 1 hour labor for the install. That's only if the Expy's need them. I know the older Explorer's did.

If you keep swapping tires around and the pull keeps changing, your tires are probably worn to the alignment that the truck is sitting on. Once you rotate them "out" of the algnment, you'll sometimes start chasing pulls. I'd definately have it checked.

berry1234 08-18-2009 10:45 AM

Thanks for the information. I put the tires back in the spot that doesn't pull. I hated driving with my steering wheel to the right to keep it straight.

What is the average life of a cheap tire? 40k miles?

Tylus 08-18-2009 04:30 PM

paid $65 for the last aligment on my F-150

20-30k life on cheapo tires is my average. Good ones are almost always 40k+

that's why I buy the best nowadays. I'm going to spend the same amount of $$$ one way or the other. So I'd rather have the best and only replace them 1/2 as often. That, and it's nice to have really good tires.

everytime I buy cheapo, I end up pissed and kick myself for it

gddyup 08-18-2009 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 7842809)
paid $65 for the last aligment on my F-150

20-30k life on cheapo tires is my average. Good ones are almost always 40k+

that's why I buy the best nowadays. I'm going to spend the same amount of $$$ one way or the other. So I'd rather have the best and only replace them 1/2 as often. That, and it's nice to have really good tires.

everytime I buy cheapo, I end up pissed and kick myself for it

Agree 100% with Ty. Don't waste money on cheap tires. There's a vast difference in terms of wear quality, handling, stopping, and all around performance between bargain tires and good name brand shoes. Your Pep Boys and Walmart specials might be made by a "name brand" company, but they are not made to the standards of their "name brand" tires sold via your Tire Rack, NTB, Town Fair, Sears, etc. I'll never put a bargain tire on any of my vehicles. It's just not worth it.

Jay 08-19-2009 01:21 PM

Pulls to the left? - Unusual for a Ford. I've had 7 Ford trucks over the years and everyone of them pulled to the right as soon as I drove them off the lot. Service Manages(s) check and always in spec. They try to blame it on road crown. The only way I was able to solve the problem, was to take it to a good independent alignment shop.

berry1234 08-19-2009 01:30 PM

Yeah, if I swap the front tires it goes to the right. Only one combonation keeps it straight.

I have heard the road crown story also. I tell the person saying that 'are you a moron and assume everyone else is?'.

Tylus 08-19-2009 03:54 PM

Road Crown is very true...sometimes. Both my Expy and Stang pull right in one spot locally, but as soon as we turn a particular corner, they ride nice and straight again.

Normally I'd say to replace the tires if they are pulling like that...but you said they have lots of tread left.

hell, just throw them all back where they were originally. Of course 2 will wear out quicker. I personally would just eat that little loss and buy new tires when the 2 weird ones wear out...even though you're likely to have 2 good tires still