Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Solenoid/starter problem? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/876395-solenoid-starter-problem.html)

Erikpdx 08-14-2009 11:18 PM

Solenoid/starter problem?

Hi,
Truck would not start with a jump after it died. Put a new battery in and it turned over with a stuggle. Turned it off and back on and barely made it the second time. Drove home and it didn't start the next morning(battery was drained). Have tried to jump the new battery a few times and all I get now is the one click when I turn the ignition on. I was wondering if it could be attributed to the a/c belt? i was using the ac a lot in the previous weeks and thought maybe the excess use could have contributed. Or is it more likely a starter/solenoid problem?

thanks!
-Erik

Erikpdx 08-14-2009 11:31 PM

...or could it be the alternator with the quick drain of the battery? lights/radio still function.

thanks again.

tomw 08-15-2009 08:55 AM

Is the "new" battery a new battery, or just new to you? When you remove the negative cable from the battery and then touch it to the post again, do you get a spark? There should be the teensiest of sparks for the juice to run the ECM, and keep the radio memory. If you get a healthy spark, you have something turned on, or shorted. In that case, remove the cables, charge the battery, and then find out what is drawing the current by pulling the fuses out, and then replacing them one at a time. The alternator could be discharging the battery if the diodes shorted, or the regulator failed.
tom

Erikpdx 08-15-2009 09:11 AM

It's a brand new battery. It's getting charged from the place I bought it from this afternoon. Thanks for the idea with the fuses. Will give that a shot if I can figure out what fuse goes where:) thanks again.

aquanaut20 08-15-2009 02:05 PM

Before you condemn the Battery, solenoid or starter, check the main battery cables and ground. Common problem areas and they feed the truck with battery power. Don't rely on a visual, used a meter (VOM).

Erikpdx 08-15-2009 07:24 PM

Had a friend take a look at it and he suggested replacing the starter relay which i just did. Didn't do anything. So if I get a VOM. What do I need to test for? Or where more specifically?

aquanaut20 08-15-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Erikpdx (Post 7833005)
Had a friend take a look at it and he suggested replacing the starter relay which i just did. Didn't do anything.

Look = visual...... maybe I didnt make myself clear.

You must be willing to perform some diagnostics, instead of throwing parts hoping for a fix.:-X02

Erikpdx 08-15-2009 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by aquanaut20 (Post 7833059)
Look = visual...... maybe I didnt make myself clear.

You must be willing to perform some diagnostics, instead of throwing parts hoping for a fix.:-X02

I did that before I saw your message. Took a chance on a $22 part. I have an ohm meter now. Just wondering what I ought to be testing with the ohm meter? Does the battery need to be disconnected before testing? Battery cables and the grounding wire is attached btw.

aquanaut20 08-15-2009 08:32 PM

Leave everything connected

VOM, set to 20vdc, RED on POS/Battery, Black= negative/ground
  1. Test battery, directly post to post (??.??vdc)
  2. Test Bat+ post to good clean engine ground (??.??vdc)
  3. Test +stud (upstream) starter solenoid to engine ground (??.??vdc)
  4. Test starter lug (BIG) to engine ground, starter activated (??.??vdc)

Report back, :-bigparty

Erikpdx 08-18-2009 11:11 PM

Pulled the starter. Took it to an auto parts store and it turned out it to be the problem. Pain in ass getting it back in though! Sure felt good when it turned over that first time:) Thanks for the help guys.

-Erik