Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   disable seat belt alarm (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/874260-disable-seat-belt-alarm.html)

bergeron 08-07-2009 09:09 AM

disable seat belt alarm

I just purchased a 2004 Excursion and I want to disable the seat belt alarm.The truck didn't come with an owners manual so I got the manual from my 2005 (yea, I am a glutton for punishment) and followed the instructons but it wouldn't disable the alarm. It worked fine on the 2005. Can anyone help me out with instructions for a 2004? Thanks in advance.

tdappleman 08-07-2009 11:01 AM

Here's a link where you can get the actual owner's manual for your truck. I believe the instructions are all the same but the timing is critical and may need to be repeated if it doesn't work the first time.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

Here's the text from my 03 manual:

Deactivating/activating the BeltMinder feature
Read steps 1 - 9 thoroughly before proceeding with the deactivation/activation programming procedure.
The BeltMinder feature can be deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:
Before following the procedure, make sure that:
• The parking brake is set
• The gearshift is in P (Park) (automatic transmission)
• The ignition switch is in the OFF position
• All vehicle doors are closed
• The driver’s safety belt is unbuckled
• The parklamps/headlamps are in OFF position (If vehicle is equipped with Autolamps, this will not affect the procedure.)
To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate/activate the Belt Minder feature while driving the vehicle.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1–2 minutes)
• Steps 3–5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated.
3. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled. This can be done before or during BeltMinder warning activation.
4. Turn on the parklamps/headlamps, turn off the parklamps/headlamps.
5. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled.
• After step 5 the safety belt warning light will be turned on for three seconds.
6. Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning light turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
• This will disable BeltMinder if it is currently enabled, or enable BeltMinder if it is currently disabled.
7. Confirmation of disabling BeltMinder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light four times per second for three seconds.

TeamMudd 08-07-2009 12:20 PM

not to say those don't work........... BUT, there's a little grey plug under the seat......... UNPLUG IT.

some will say this has to do with the electric control seats. so far i've disabled all of our work trucks, 05 F550 (electric seats), and (2) 03 F250's (also electric seats) with a simple unplug of a connector. there are typically TWO conectors under the seat, one for the electric controls and one that closer to the seatbelt (female end by your right hip). it may be a trick to find at first, but it will do the trick. all the ones from the trucks i listed above are a grey colored plug.

i did the same thing on my 02 Ex (XLT non-electric seats), and my F250 Lariat (electric seats), no more alarm, and WAY less time!

tdappleman 08-07-2009 01:09 PM

I tried that on my 99 Expedition and the light just stayed on all of the time - no chime... but I didn't like the light being on. Not sure if the results would be the same here - but it only takes about 1 minute to do it the right way.

bergeron 08-07-2009 01:35 PM

Thanks to tdappleman...the instructions for your 03 worked. They were entirely different from the 05. Thanks again

tdappleman 08-07-2009 02:07 PM

You're welcome - looked at the 05 out of curiosity and the number of times you do each item is different. Good to know!

housedad 08-07-2009 05:43 PM

Sometimes a proper application of a 12 ga shotgun will make the alarm shut up, too. :-X01:-missingt

I ahve felt like that many times....

TeamMudd 08-07-2009 06:21 PM

no light stays on in any of my vehicles or the shop vehicles.

i guess it's 6 of one or 1/2 dozen of he other......... but to find a plug push the tab, and unplug worked alot quicker on all of my vehicles. on another note i've also done this on my brother-in-laws 05 F150, their 04 windstar, and none of them had the light stay on. that may have been an Expy trait..... dunno?

Xryen 02-08-2015 05:43 PM

Can you give me those instructions for the 2005??? I guess I've been following the wrong ones also.

Jmatthews 02-08-2015 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by TeamMudd (Post 7805069)
not to say those don't work........... BUT, there's a little grey plug under the seat......... UNPLUG IT.

some will say this has to do with the electric control seats. so far i've disabled all of our work trucks, 05 F550 (electric seats), and (2) 03 F250's (also electric seats) with a simple unplug of a connector. there are typically TWO conectors under the seat, one for the electric controls and one that closer to the seatbelt (female end by your right hip). it may be a trick to find at first, but it will do the trick. all the ones from the trucks i listed above are a grey colored plug.

i did the same thing on my 02 Ex (XLT non-electric seats), and my F250 Lariat (electric seats), no more alarm, and WAY less time!

that's what I did 14 years ago, still works.... Err, doesn't work?