Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   interior lights dont come on (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/873786-interior-lights-dont-come-on.html)

lzrj 08-05-2009 12:40 PM

interior lights dont come on

I just bought my son a 2002 XLS 4x4. i noticed when I got in it last night that none of the interior lights come on when I open the door. Boy is it dark in there at night. I checked the dimmer switch which clicks in both directions. Nothing happens. Could there be a fuse that is out or is it a bad dimmer switch? Has this happened to anyone?

shorod 08-05-2009 09:44 PM

There could and likely is a fuse that is out. I assume the interior lights don't come on when any of the other doors are opened either. It's also possible that all the interior light bulbs are bad or were removed prior to the sale. Maybe some kid put blue bulbs in the interior light locations and didn't want to let the blue bulbs go with the vehicle, so he pulled them all out and didn't put correct ones in in their place.

You might also have a problem with the interior lamp relay (does the glovebox light work?) or the battery saver relay.

Check 15-amp fuse F2.17 in the Central Junction box.

-Rod

lzrj 08-05-2009 11:00 PM

Will do. There are light bulbs and they do work when I turn them on manually. Ill check that fuse. Thanks

shorod 08-06-2009 06:45 AM

The map lights will not come on with the interior lights, they are separate bulbs and switches. However, the three rows of ceiling mount interior lights (center bulbs) should come on when a door is opened or the doors unlocked with the key fob. I'm not sure if the 2002 has the puddle lamps under the outside mirrors or not, if so they should come on with the interior lights as well.

-Rod

Steina 08-06-2009 11:45 AM

lzrj -

Is it possible all the switches are set to "OFF" rather than "AUTO"?

Steve

shorod 08-06-2009 12:49 PM

I took a look at mine yesterday because I had that same thought. I don't find where such a switch exists on my 2004. I'm not sure if the Original Poster's 2002 would have it, I don't believe my previous 2000 had that option either though.

-Rod

lzrj 08-06-2009 01:01 PM

Thanks for that thought. I will check out to see if there is any switched for that.

Steina 08-06-2009 05:12 PM

After checking further, I found only the rear headliner light on my '04 has a 3-position switch - "ON", "OFF", and "AUTO" (comes on with door open or dimmer switch). The center headliner light (with map lights) and the map lights over the rearview mirror DO come on with a door open or with the dimmer switch dialed up.

Steve

rrgone 08-06-2009 06:40 PM

Thanks Steve, I just learned something. I had always assumed that the lamp over the cargo area (no 3rd row seats) was not connected to the circuit that turns on the other two lamps when a door is opened. I just found out that it was actually in the 'off' position.

lzrj: I think you have a problem with either the battery saver relay or the door ajar switch, or the wiring between them. If it's wiring it will probably be in the driver's doorjam in the black conduit that a wire has broken. Does the door ajar indicator work? Try starting the truck with the door open - does the door ajar lamp come on in the dash? Does it go off when the door is closed?

lzrj 08-06-2009 08:56 PM

After reading STEINA's post, I did some more playing around and checking the manuel. I guess I do not have any problems with the lights. I did get the cargo light switch to the right position to get it to come when the doors open. And the other interior light above the driver only comes on when you turn it on yourself. Seems kind of weird to me because at night I don't see that rear cargo light being able to light enough of the cab to see what you are doing up front. I guess I will have to see how much light is really there when it gets totally dark. I guess I just never had a vehicle that did not have front light come on up front. My E.B. Expedition lights up all over the place.

rrgone 08-06-2009 10:42 PM

Well if that rear cargo area lamp comes on when you open the door I guess that shoots my theory in the ass. But they should all come on when the door is opened. Mine do - 2002 XLT. I also have puddle lamps that come on but I don't think the XLS models have those. Hmmmm...

lzrj 08-07-2009 02:20 PM

The manuel talks about how to put the switch for the rear cargo area in the position to make it come on with the doors. It also states that the front overhead lights can only be turned on or off. No option to have it come on with the doors. Im sure some of the XLT's and all of the Eddie Bauers have the optional front overhead light console that does come on with the doors.