Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   allison transmission (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/86870-allison-transmission.html)

rje 11-02-2000 08:55 PM

allison transmission

Has anyone put a Allison behind a FI 460? Is this a bolt up, or a lot of time at the machine shop?
I have an E350 motorhome chassis customized to a 5th wheel camper puller. I need and extra gear between 2nd & 3rd.

DannyP 11-03-2000 09:53 PM

allison transmission

I have often wondered about this myself. Sorry I don't have an answer. I would think that at some point thru the years an Allison has been attached behind just about any type engine. The trick is to know what to look or ask for. Ford buses may be a good starting point to look, at least for one that would bolt up to a 460, since most of them had 429's and 370's till the diesels came along. I am not sure what would have had the small block 351w
bolt pattern and an Allison in it. Possibly some type of off-road vehicle? Maybe an airport luggage or small plane tow vehicle? Just taking wild guesses here. If you are really interested you can contact someone who rebuilds these trannies, they should be able to help you out. I have been told by a bus mechanic years ago they are not cheap to rebuild. I don't know if a transfer case can easily be installed behind one either, it would probably have to be the divorced type. Well, I have rambled long enuff, I hope someone can give both of us more info on this. By the way, I have obtained a ZF tranny for a very reasonable price, the catch is some reassembly is required!!! I may be asking for some help.

DannyP
89 F-150 4x4 former EFI I-6 now carbed 351W, Edelbrock heads,cam,intake,carb.
MSD 6A, T-18 but looking for a ZF. 3.55's.

dinosaurfan 11-10-2000 03:23 PM

allison transmission

rje- you have a couple of options, if you are starting with a C6 automatic, a GearVendors under/overdrive will give you overdrive and an extra gear between 1 & 2 and one between 2 & 3, six speeds instead of three! If you already have a four speed auto, you may be able to have it reprogramed to engage the overdrive gears while in 1st and 2nd, this will give you the extra gears. This is what ford did to the explorer trans to create a five speed from what had been a four, you might look at auto trans specialty places, I'm thinking that this will need an aftermarket valve body, autos are not really my thing. I've been wanting extra gears for myself, my NP435 not being enough, and purchased a clark 5spd from a yard that cuts up old heavy trucks, mine came from a F-700. I paid 250$$ for everything. If you have time to wander around the salvage yards I have seen lots of ford school buses with a five speed automatic trans and 370 or 429 power. You will want the flexplate and starter too, they might be different from the light truck stuff you have now. If you can get a good price at the salvage yard,go for it. DF

bigal72 11-10-2000 10:36 PM

allison transmission

Halloran1 07-14-2012 10:11 PM

Have you done this Gear Vendor's under/overdrive conversion yourself? I've been looking at swapping in a 6 speed trans instead of the C6 I have now. But if I could do this instead, I'd much rather go for this. Seems like nobody makes a adapter kit for the 460.

Ford_Six 07-15-2012 04:38 PM

This has got to be the king of all thread dredges I have ever seen-
You may be able to get an adapter plate off the back of a 370 out of an 80s F600, that should convert from the standard 385 series bell to an SAE bell, which along with that flywheel will open up a huge range of transmission options. I'm not positive that there was an adapter plate used, but the other option would be an Allison 545 from a truck equipped with a 370. You can find those mainly in schoolbuses.