Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   95 Ford Ranger 3.0 Occasionally won't start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/866563-95-ford-ranger-3-0-occasionally-wont-start.html)

gregoryagu 07-10-2009 10:39 AM

95 Ford Ranger 3.0 Occasionally won't start

Hi,

I have a 95 Ford Ranger 3.0 6 Cyclinder 188,000 miles, overall runs well.

However, on some occassions it will not start. The quickfix is to wait about 10 minutes, and then it will start. The issue is always when the engine has been running, ie hot start, not cold start.

To try and fix, I have replaced the spark plugs, the fuel filter and the battery.

This has been going on for about 6 months now. It only occurs about once every 2 weeks. The outside temp doesn't seem to matter. When it does occur, if I crank continually, it will not start.

When it will not start, the engine shakes badly and sputters for several seconds, then dies. Once it is running, it runs fine.

Suggestions appreciated, this is really starting to bug me. There is no check engine light codes associated with this.

Thanks,

Greg

sfcwoodret 07-10-2009 11:12 PM

check the selenoid. They usually start going bad slowly.

pawpaw 07-11-2009 10:34 AM

Right now it kinda sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.

So when it acts out, can you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds & shut off at KOEO, before you crank the engine????

If you can't hear the pump run, maybe suspect the underhood fuel pump power relay, so try thumping it & see if it'll wake up, or swap it for a like relay not needed to run the engine, like the A/C power relay & see what happens.

If that checks out ok, try thumping the fuel pump & see if it'll wake up!!!!

If you can hear the pump run to prime & pressurize the system, try cycling the ignition key from off to KOEO several times, without cranking the engine, then see if it'll crank & start.
if so, then connect a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail schrader valve & check the KOEO & KOER fuel pressure when it acts out.

If it's not to spec, pull the fuel pressure regulators vacuum hose & see if it's wet inside with fuel, if so repace the regulator.

If you can hear the pump run & fuel pressure checks out ok, then check for spark with an inductive timing light when it's acting out.

Is the CEL on???? If so, scan the computer & post ALL of the stored trouble codes, as you may have more than one problem & the codes can provide good trouble shooting clues on where to look next.

A whole bunch of trouble shooting thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

g_k50 07-11-2009 03:13 PM

There's a sock on the intank fuel pump. I just replaced mine on my 1990 Bronco, cleared up a similar problem. You might try some fuel additive to try to clean it, or have you been putting something in the fuel already?

KaoticCreations 07-11-2009 03:39 PM

An intermittent start issue like that is often a sign of a failing fuel pump from my knowledge. Had a problem like that in my old chevy lumina and a new fuel pump and sifter or "sock" as g k50 just mentioned fixed that problem in that car. I'm also having a very similar issue in my ranger now that I'm trying to solve as we speak (literally, I'm in my garage now). I would check that out.

KaoticCreations 07-11-2009 03:43 PM

In fact, now that I'm thinking about what g_k50 just said, I added some fuel system cleaner just before my ranger started acting up as I've been talking about in a thread I started. I wonder if that could be the cause of my issue, like perhaps it cleaned up alot of my tank and the sock is too contaminated for the pump to function properly?

pawpaw 07-12-2009 06:44 AM

BTW gregoryagy, Welcome to FTE.
Let us know how your trouble shoot goes.

gregoryagu 07-12-2009 06:56 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Another suggestion that I got was to clean the AIC valve. I replaced it for $50 at Autozone (others places where much more expensive) and so far it has run perfectly.

So hopefully that was the cause. I do swear it idles better than it did in the past, and so far, have had not problems starting.

Greg

pawpaw 07-12-2009 08:52 PM

Good feedback & to hear you seem to have it fixed.
The Ford IAC is a common problem part, but I believe this is the first one I've heard of that was heat soak sensitive.

gregoryagu 07-13-2009 12:50 PM

Ya know, I seemed to have fixed the original problem, but I put some Gumout in the tank thinking I was doing a good thing, and now the dang thing won't start at all, even after waiting a period of time.

Also, I have learned to listen for the fuel pump and I am not hearing it. Could the Gumout have done something to make the fuel pump not start, or maybe that was the problem all along.

pawpaw 07-13-2009 02:24 PM

I doubt that the Gumout is preventing the fuel pump from running.

While the pump is in it's no run mode, I would begin by checking power to it, step by step.

An easy place to begin to check power to the pump is the in cabin inertia switch.
So pull it's electrical connector & check for +12 volts to ground on the DG/Y lead, for a couple of seconds, when you switch the ignition to KOER.

If no power is there, go to the under hood power distribution box & swap out the fuel pump power relay with the A/C power relay & try again.

If you have power to the inertia switch, make sure it's set, so you know power is passing through it to the pump, so maybe give it a thump that'll cause it to trip, (the little red indictor on top will pop up), then reset it & listen for the fuel pump to run at KOEO.

A way to bypass the inertia switch if it's in doubt, is to pull it's electrical connector & jumper the contacts & listen for the pump to run at KOEO.

Once your sure power is on it's way to the pump, but it's still not running, try wiggeling the pumps electrical connector & doing another KOEO test.

If that doesn't do it, try giving the tank. or pump a good thump & see if it'll wake up & run at KOEO.

By then you should have an idea where your intermittent pump problem is.

If it runs after the thump, replace the pump.

Let us know what you find.

gregoryagu 07-13-2009 02:37 PM

OK, I think your right about the Gumout not being the probem - I just went down to where I left the truck, and of course it started right up.

How to I give the tank or pump a thump? Not quite sure what you mean by this.

Also where exactly is the underhood fuel pump power relay? I have looked in my manual, looked around on line, but can't find a picture of what it looks like or where it is.

I do appreciate the advice, this is driving me a bit daffy!

Greg

pawpaw 07-13-2009 02:52 PM

The pump power relay is located in the under hood power distribution box, drivers side, back between the fender & firewall, across from the brake master cylinder.

Look in your owners manual or maybe on the box lid, for the relay location call out.

Edit: Thump = Hit, just don't get crazy & over do it, use your fist on the tank, or maybe a broom handle to reach in & hit the pump, or wiggle it's electrical connector.

gregoryagu 07-13-2009 08:45 PM

Great, thanks, found the pump relay (it's number #3).

And I will try thumping next time it happens (thump, thump, what was that? oh that Greg fixing his truck...)

gregoryagu 07-20-2009 02:28 PM

Ya know PawPaw, I drove to the gas station this morning for some donuts, and when I get in, it wouldn't start. So I got out, opened the hood, and pulled out Relay #3 and gave it a whack, stuck it back in, and lo and behold it started! lol.

So I went out and paid 7 bucks for a new relay - hopefully that was it. Ben running great since.

Anyhow, thanks for your advice!!

Greg