Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Jersey Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum143/)
-   -   My rear - to rebuild or not (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/864309-my-rear-to-rebuild-or-not.html)

mrfox0246 07-01-2009 08:00 PM

My rear - to rebuild or not

HAVE A '54, WITH A 70's SOMETHING FORD 9" REAR. NEED TO SET UP THE CARRIER. PROBABLY BE SMART TO REPLACE ALL THE BEARINGS AND SEALS. ALAS, MY TRUSTED MECHANIC GETS $90/hr SO I'M PROB LOOKING AT $600-700 WHEN EVERYTHING IS DONE. MAYBE A TRIP TO THE JUNK YARD IS IN ORDER. WHAT ARE SOME POPULAR REAR'S THAT HAVE BEEN USED? WHAT YEARS TO LOOK FOR. I UNDERSTAND THERE MAY BE SOME FABRICATING IF I OPT FOR ANOTHER REAR. WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A 5 on 5 1/2 LUG SPACING. CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A NJ/NY/PA SHOP THAT COULD REBUILD MY REAR AT A REASONABLE COST THANKS

frederic 07-02-2009 12:51 PM

Why not rebuild it yourself. You can rebuild it underneath the truck on jackstands or you can take it completely out and put it on sawhorses and work on it without wrenching your back (I'm out of shape, these types of decisions are important).

Just replace all the bearings, inspect the wear on the ring and pinion gears, make sure everything feels tight without wobble. Setting the backlash on a rear axle isn't very difficult and you can use the official plastic crusable strips (cheap) or even playdoah.

I've done a few myself over the years and it's not really that difficult to do yourself.

mrfox0246 07-02-2009 04:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback, yeah, I know I can replace the bearings and seals, its the carrier backlash that I'm not sure of. Any instructural info out there, never heard of crushable strips but it makes sence ; probably what the garage would use anyway.

jerzydiver 07-02-2009 04:47 PM

Do not get rid of the 9 inch great rear ends. and as far as working on it even easier since the carrier is removed by pulling the axles and then the carrier bolts to remove the whole third member

mrfox0246 07-02-2009 08:10 PM

Yup, I agree, and I have some money and time tied up back there also; new wheel cylinbders, new brake pads and new drums. I need to get educated on how to set the carrier gear lash (I think thats the correct term). Time to start Internet searching

tjc transport 07-03-2009 01:39 PM

where are you located??
there is a very good mechanic that lives in Hazlet that i use when i need differential work done. when he does it on the side at his house, he can give you a very good price.

frederic 07-03-2009 02:17 PM

Gear lash is rather simple. Essentially you stick these plastic strips into the gears as they mesh, then measure the thickness after squashing them. The thickness should be approximately equal to the manufacturer's specification, and if not you adjust how far the pinion sticks out into the ring gear. The usual adjustment method is required - shims :)

If it's too lose it will chatter and wear out quickly, and possibly break as the edges of the teeth will be all that is meshing, and if it's too tight the edge of the teeth will bang on the body of the ring gear, and something will break.

I don't know offhand what the lash should be on a 9" but once you have that figure you can have a go at it.

mrfox0246 07-03-2009 02:30 PM

Good information all - thanks - I'm starting to feel I can do this - once I get the clearences. I live in Morris County NW Jersey; about 10 miles northwest of Morristown -Dover

frederic 07-03-2009 03:51 PM

Measuring backlash isn't a big deal with the little plastic sticks, or playdouh. Taking the thing apart to shim it is a bit more work, and more than likely you'll have to do it twice to get it right since you've never done it before. Don't fret, it's par for the course.

tjc transport 07-03-2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by mrfox0246 (Post 7676854)
Good information all - thanks - I'm starting to feel I can do this - once I get the clearences. I live in Morris County NW Jersey; about 10 miles northwest of Morristown -Dover

Steve, sddesigns is rite up the hill from you in Wharton. he may know of someone up there that can cut you a deal.

he is out on the boat in lake hopatcong today. but he will be in later.

mrfox0246 07-03-2009 05:39 PM

SD Designs?
What kind of business is that?

tjc transport 07-03-2009 08:09 PM

not sure. i think he does computer graphics layout.