Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum182/)
-   -   Anyone from the Coal Region? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/860559-anyone-from-the-coal-region.html)

optikal illushun 06-17-2009 10:55 PM

Anyone from the Coal Region?

Whats up, i forgot we have regional chapers here. Anyone from the Coal Region (Mount Carmel, Shamokin, Ashland, Pottsville, etc)? im from Mount Carmel, in the heart of the Coal Region about 5 miles from Centralia.

liftnw8z 06-18-2009 12:16 AM

Been a long time since I've been up that way...a couple years anyhow. Paid a visit to Pottsville to hang out with some friends back in 06. Of course had to make a stop at the brewery...lol. I'm out in the southwest corner, another little bit of coal country but not quite the same...

PatsPOS 06-18-2009 09:17 PM

Like Bill said, around here the mines are primarily bituminous coal, where you guys to the east are mostly anthracite. So I reckon the term "coal region" differs depending on which side of the Susquehanna you live on. :D

Pat

quaddriver 06-21-2009 12:45 AM

I thought *all* of PA was the 'coal region'.

If not, we got some jokers over here that stripped off the vegetation and made great ATV hills!

liftnw8z 06-21-2009 12:55 AM

Coal has definately been king all thru the state, just depends on what type of coal being mined...anthracite (eastern) or bituminous (western). I did a lot of work with the coal industry in the southwest corner of the state for a year or so...and it's alive and well there for sure. Throw in some of the locals, and it's still around. Just not like it was when I was a kid.

tbenks 02-06-2010 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by optikal illushun (Post 7622056)
Whats up, i forgot we have regional chapers here. Anyone from the Coal Region (Mount Carmel, Shamokin, Ashland, Pottsville, etc)? im from Mount Carmel, in the heart of the Coal Region about 5 miles from Centralia.

yeah we got family up in new philla/ and a house right outside of pottsville (middleport) i go visit up there a few times a year, chill out or whatever ha, my mum owns some land that is being mined, i cant wait to one day bring my truck up there, endless miles of old mining roads, its gonna be a blast

Redcat Diesel 02-07-2010 03:20 PM

I just found this thread. Like Quaddriver said I thought all of PA was the coal region. Both of my grandfathers along with several great uncles were miners. Others in the family repaired mine machinery or hauled coal. If you'd like to see how deep mining is done you might want to check out TourEd Mine in Tarentum. This is a mined out section of the Freeport coal seam located near the Allegheny River. The tour takes you about a mile back underground. No pimple faced high school kids here. The tour guides are experienced miners who have the proper training to take folks underground. The mine is inspected daily as any working mine would be. There is also a museum on site.

tbenks 02-07-2010 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Redcat Diesel (Post 8481301)
I just found this thread. Like Quaddriver said I thought all of PA was the coal region. Both of my grandfathers along with several great uncles were miners. Others in the family repaired mine machinery or hauled coal. If you'd like to see how deep mining is done you might want to check out TourEd Mine in Tarentum. This is a mined out section of the Freeport coal seam located near the Allegheny River. The tour takes you about a mile back underground. No pimple faced high school kids here. The tour guides are experienced miners who have the proper training to take folks underground. The mine is inspected daily as any working mine would be. There is also a museum on site.

yeah theres actually quite a few of those mine tours ive been on, really interesting, wouldnt mind the job, but, if you've ever seen someone with blacklung it might change your mind, a few of my family members ended up dying from that

Redcat Diesel 02-07-2010 03:52 PM

Black lung was a major contributing factor in my maternal grandfathers death. Others suffered from it to some extent. I've repaired countless coal trucks but never considered working underground.

c00nhunterjoe 02-10-2010 08:09 PM

i'm up in skyukil county frequently, i have friends in deturksville. i will be up there next weekend to go to rausch creek

tbenks 02-10-2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe (Post 8497503)
i'm up in skyukil county frequently, i have friends in deturksville. i will be up there next weekend to go to rausch creek

my house in pa is about 40 mins away from rausch creek, never been to that place, is it any good?

c00nhunterjoe 02-10-2010 08:35 PM

i have a blast everytime i go

cbradford 02-14-2010 05:55 PM

All I know is I burn anthracite coal for heat, much cheaper than oil or electric.