Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   2000 f150 abs brake light on (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/859261-2000-f150-abs-brake-light-on.html)

bc11 06-13-2009 11:40 AM

2000 f150 abs brake light on

Hi, My 2000 f150 SC 5.4l 4x4 offroad has an abs light that is always on. Back when it had about 50K in miles, the left front brake began squeeling. Pulled the tire off and found that ford had only screwed in one of the brake caliper bolts half way (the threads were rusty so it hadn't backed out recently). Anyway, the loose bolt allowed the caliper to twist so that it ground off the bottom edge of the pad and metal part of the pad.

I replaced the pads and rotors. I just slapped everything together not thinking about the abs sensor. Every since then, the abs light is on and I haven't had any abs brake action. I know there is an abs sensor somewhere and it is supposed to be lined up. Can someone explain that procedure to me? Thanks

fordmerc 06-13-2009 09:04 PM

If you pull the rotors off, there is a sensor that is in the hub that is held in by two allen screws. That one may have been damaged by your brake problem. There is also one that is plugged into your rear diff. So there is one at each wheel in the front and one at the diff in the rear. When the light stays on, it is kind of like a ck engine light, meaning it will throw a code that can be checked with a scanner. I would have a scanner hooked up to it and see what it tells you. Autozone will ck the code for free if you have them in your area.

bc11 06-13-2009 11:24 PM

Thanks. I just checked the codes yesterday again after my wiring harness problem. No code for the brakes. Didn't show up the last time I got a code for a dirty air cleaner.

I don't remember a sensor in or on the hub held by 2 allen screws though. Does it have to line up with anything on the rotors or calipers. I imagine I just slid the rotors on. I don't recall ever taking the hubs off though.

bc11 06-13-2009 11:25 PM

Thanks. I just checked the codes yesterday again after my wiring harness problem. No code for the brakes. Didn't show up the last time I got a code for a dirty air cleaner.

I don't remember a sensor in or on the hub held by 2 allen screws though. Does it have to line up with anything on the rotors or calipers. I imagine I just slid the rotors on. I don't recall ever taking the hubs off though.

papajoemrt 06-14-2009 01:11 AM

on your front hubs/knuckle assembly there will be two lines going to it from the center of the vehicle, one is your brake line, the other is the wire for your abs sensor. follow this to where it enters the hub. i just had mine apart and i do believe to get a good look at it you will need to remove the shield that is bolted to your steering knuckle there. then there is a alan bolt holding the sensor in the hub assy. if you plan on replacing these i'd advise to clean the area around it before removing because you don't want dirt or any foreign objects falling in the hole left by the sensor it goes directly into your hub and may damage the bearings. it takes a skosche of effort to get the sensor out but it should come out, mine was a black wire going into a tiny white box then with spun copper and a metal plate on the bottom...very small however no bigger than a pencial eraser.

hope this helps

dragon wagon 06-14-2009 09:14 AM

I'm not sure an OBDII reader will read ABS codes?
Try the rear sensor first. That solved my problem when the ABS light came on. It sits on top of the diff. housing. A lot of crud builds up on it. Either clean it or replace it, its cheap-$20. Should take all of 10 minuets.
Chris

Dialtone 06-14-2009 12:14 PM

The exact proceedure is on this site somewhere, but here is a basic from memory.
Remove the kick panel cover on the passenger side. Inside you will find a single wire connector (I think it was a white/red stripe. Disconnect and ground one side (Do not remember which side). Turn key on and dash ABS light will pulse flash a code. Look it up and replace sensor indicated (rear diff sensor on mine).
Removing the ground wire with key on will erase code(s) and reset the ABS module.

Search the forums for the exact proceedure before starting this.