Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Hydrogen on demand (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/856855-hydrogen-on-demand.html)

sirrahnor 06-04-2009 03:03 PM

Hydrogen on demand

I've been working on Hydrogen on demand . Diesel's seem to love it . Havent put the system on my f 350 diesel yet but I have had great luck on gas motors . What is your take on this .

fabmandelux 06-04-2009 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by sirrahnor (Post 7574917)
I've been working on Hydrogen on demand . Diesel's seem to love it . Havent put the system on my f 350 diesel yet but I have had great luck on gas motors . What is your take on this .

It's been hashed out here for years. Here is just one thread on it. My thoughts............not worth spending any of my $$$$$ on it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...light=hydrogen

sirrahnor 06-04-2009 07:12 PM

Hydrogen on demand

I'm not talking about 100% . I have a Toyota motor home with a 22R motor . I didn't know what this stuff was and I was willing to risk the motor to find out . I have about 5000 miles on it now and it seems to love it . Going up a a long climb it would get 13 mpg and go about 40-45 mph . I added 2 1/2 liters a minute of hho and it went 65-70 mph and got 16 mpg . That was a great improvement it starts better and it could not pass anything now I have to slow down . I want to give it 5 liters a minute and see what that does .

Phydeaux88 06-08-2009 01:15 PM

Be careful Hydrogen burns very hot compared to petrolem fuels.

It is also significant more likely to explode.

sirrahnor 06-08-2009 01:42 PM

Hydrogen on demand

You have to allways be careful with everything you do . gasaline is prety powerful . You do have to advance your timing or it will push your motor backwards and a sparkarester is needed . I have the timing on my Toyota at 2 degrees btdc no pinging and starts better then ever .

Pocket 06-08-2009 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by sirrahnor (Post 7574917)
What is your take on this .

There's a quick way to test to see if it's actually working. Hook up your hydrogen generator to a switchable electrical source, with the on/off switch inside the cab. Drive along a flat section of road and maintain a steady speed (without using cruise). Flip on the hydrogen. If it's really working, your truck will accelerate without pushing the pedal any further.

sirrahnor 06-08-2009 10:33 PM

Hydrogen on demand

You can't really just hook it up and expect it to work . In my 85 Toyota 22R I leaned the Carb and advanced the timing . On my 00 Dodge neon it took a couple weeks for the computer to catch up . I did a newer Toyota with a v-6 and the check engine light didn't even come on . Every car is different .

Pocket 06-09-2009 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by sirrahnor (Post 7589681)
You can't really just hook it up and expect it to work . In my 85 Toyota 22R I leaned the Carb and advanced the timing . On my 00 Dodge neon it took a couple weeks for the computer to catch up . I did a newer Toyota with a v-6 and the check engine light didn't even come on . Every car is different .

I'm talking about your diesel. There's no computer programming with an older diesel. In other words, these diesels don't have a timing adjustment for hydrogen, a computer learning curve, or anything else. The experiment I proposed is to try on your F350 only. Gas engines are a completely different animal.

Hydrogen won't even work at all on my truck. I have split shot injectors, so whatever hydrogen goes into the combustion chamber will ignite with the pilot shot. Turns out to be a complete waste on any 99-03 7.3L with split shot injectors.

sirrahnor 06-09-2009 01:30 PM

Hydrogen on demand

What is the difference between propane injection and hho injection . Were do they inject propane into the engine that makes it OK for propane and not for hho ? It's a very clean fuel and It's as cheap as water .

Pocket 06-09-2009 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by sirrahnor (Post 7591470)
What is the difference between propane injection and hho injection . Were do they inject propane into the engine that makes it OK for propane and not for hho ? It's a very clean fuel and It's as cheap as water .

One word... volume.

The LPM with propane vs HHO isn't even remotely close. Do the test I suggested with propane, and it works. Try it with HHO, and it doesn't. Again, it's the amount you get. Currently, HHO generators are the single most inefficient method for producing hydrogen. Having an onboard generator producing 1, 2, or even 3 liters of hygrogen per minute is nothing at all, considering your engine will gulp that much air volume in 1 second while driving down the highway. So the insanely diluted amount of hydrogen generally doesn't have an effect. You need an outside power source to pull enough amps to get more HHO gas. Vehicle alternators don't provide enough juice.

By the way, most people are turning away from propane these days. Too many split blocks.

If someone actually creates a method to get enough hydrogen to make a difference, the problem now would be injecting the hydrogen. Like propane, hydrogen would be introduced with the air, so detonation is not controlled. That's the problem with propane. It pre-ignites before the fuel, and with a larger quantity, cylinder pressures go sky high. That's when you end up with a rod sticking out the side of the block. It's happened MANY times with people trying to use propane for power, and even a few trying to use less propane for mileage gains.

If you want to experiment with HHO, by all means do it. One word of caution: The HHO industry is full of scams. Never never never never purchase an HHO kit, and never purchase plans for building one either. All the information you need is on the internet. HHO generators have been around for more than 100 years.

sirrahnor 06-09-2009 07:02 PM

Hydrogen on demand

Thanks for the advise . I do think it's a good idea just needs more research . Rather then giving up it would be nice to figure out what it would take to convert any vehicle . You say it has been around for 100 years . The government has spent a lot of our tax dollars learning all about it and still we know very little about it . But then there's the oil Co. anything you research will kill them , how far you think that will go .
Have to do something . Ron

sirrahnor 06-09-2009 07:19 PM

Hydrogen on demand

My father in-law bought the water 4 gas books and thought I might be able to do something with them . They did help , they made me think and expand on the thought . That's what I'm trying to do is spread the thought . Do you know of any forums that might address this issue better ?

fabmandelux 06-09-2009 07:27 PM

If your serious about alt energy try this site. It works, there is a ton of info about how to diy. Did I say it works!

Victory Gasworks- Gasifiers and Wood Gasification

Pocket 08-21-2009 10:40 AM

spammer gone

NorskeMann82 08-26-2009 12:36 AM

I have a theory about running hydrogen through an engine not designed for it. When you burn hydrogen it becomes H2O and O2. Mix that with iron that is found in most engines and what have you got??? RUST. No thanks, I'll stick with good old fashioned DIESEL.