Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nova Scotia (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum121/)
-   -   short term project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/856845-short-term-project.html)

northeaster79 06-04-2009 02:51 PM

short term project

I started to work on my newly purchased 1995 4x4.the alt was siezed from sitting and so was the air pump,so the air pump and all related garbage will be going in the scrap bin.and the alt will be here tomorrow from parts for trucks,much cheaper then in town.I also got the axle code from the door 18 3:08.not exactly ideal.and the 95 I'm driving now has 3:55's in it.I think I'll be pulling the cover on the 3:55's and if it all looks good I will swap the front and rear ends into the truck I'm going to keep.I only plan on running 31's on it but the little extra gear will help make up for the 300.

Fomoko1 06-05-2009 06:22 PM

Sounds like you`ll be busy for a while, keep us posted.

northeaster79 06-08-2009 08:28 AM

ahh morris I think I'm a hound for punishment,the one I just bought has sat around for 4 years and everything is seized on it,good old truck,but its going to take some tlc,I have to get back at my 78 and get it painted and back on the road.too many projects,and too little time.

Fomoko1 06-09-2009 02:11 AM

Seems that way for most of us on FTE...........I`m no different and a slow learner it seems!

northeaster79 06-09-2009 06:32 AM

haha,that can be our excuse,were just a little slow,got the alternator on it and found a belt the right length to bypas the air pump,but I need to clean the cables up on the starter.might try and get that done today,fire the old thing up and see how it sounds.

northeaster79 06-09-2009 11:09 AM

got the starter of and cleaned up,cleaned the mag switch and she's alive
no smoke,no noises and all kinds of oil pressure,but the fuel rail is leaking fairly bad,so now I'll have to track one of them down somewheres,going to try ford and see what a new ones worth.probably scare me.

northeaster79 06-10-2009 08:27 AM

scare me is right,there are two different ones,one is around 200,and the other is around 300 so my guy tells me,and I haved tried every scrap yard around and they have them,and will sell them,along with the complete engine haha.I friend gave me one this morning that has a few seedy looking spots.I have a guy here that does all our reefer repairs and he said he could silver solder it and I would have no troubles with it.so thats the new plan.I just blasted the loose flake of it and he is going to fix it up for me.easy fix.

Fomoko1 06-12-2009 01:52 AM

Good luck, hope the fix pans out for you.

northeaster79 06-12-2009 08:50 AM

I got the new rail in and no leaks,now I just have to see whats causing the clutch pedle to stay on the floor,its holding the clutch engaged so I'm guessing either a stuck slave,or with any luck the master is seized which would save me from pulling the trans.I'll try and find that answer today.

Fomoko1 06-12-2009 10:19 PM

Good luck on that Fred.
I had the same on an 53 M350, turned out that the input shaft on the transmission was so badly rusted that the throw out bearing couldn`t slid back into it`s proper position. I doubt that`s the case on your truck, this truck had sat for many years before I got it.

northeaster79 06-15-2009 09:30 AM

I suspect that has something to do with it,this one only sat for 2 years before this happened,and another two since but I would guess thats at least part of the problem.I'm also going to pull the master off and make sure the push rod isn't stuck in that either.one can dream hahaha.

Fomoko1 06-16-2009 06:46 PM

Hopefully it`s a cheap and quick fix.....For once!

northeaster79 06-17-2009 09:52 AM

I had it running long enough for it to get warm and the two steel coolant pipes up front are leaking,the one from the thermostate houseing and the one from the water pump,I have another good pump,and I'll have to call ford and see if I can get a thermostate housing to replace the pipe.the worst of something sitting around.

Fomoko1 06-17-2009 02:34 PM

Seems like I always get afew things fixed only to find more.........

northeaster79 06-18-2009 07:14 AM

well I'm going to go over this old thing from one end to the other,the old truck I'm driving now works good,so I'm not in any huge rush to get it done,if I go any distance I take the wifies car anyways.I have all the srvice records and such for the 6 cylender one,and it was undercoated and is in excellant shape underneith,so I figure I'll get the mechanical bugs all sorted out in the next month or so,and then go at the body.I called ford here and I can still get a ford box side for it,so I think the passenger side will be replaced and the drivers just has a small spot above the wheel so a small patch will do there.make a good job of the old girl so it lasts a couple years,and then I'll be heading for the southern states to find a 96 or so F350 4x4 crew.something to drag a trailer around with.