Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   International Region (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum141/)
-   -   DOWN UNDER and INTERNATIONAL RACING THREAD (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/855878-down-under-and-international-racing-thread.html)

Greywolf 06-01-2009 04:20 AM

DOWN UNDER and INTERNATIONAL RACING THREAD

What's happenning?

Anyone keeping track of it?

I'm not an expert - but I'm curious about CART and Grand Prix standings....

TALK ALL ABOUT IT HERE

FMC351 06-05-2009 09:46 AM

I am not a follower, but always try to hear the news on Marcas Ambrose in the NASCAR series.

I was a fan of his well before he was a someone, and even if you don't like him he was a good steerer in the aussie tin tops.

I know he had a win a few months ago but have not seen him since.

Anyone know what series he is racing in and how he has been doing?

FORD RANGER 06-06-2009 09:06 PM

hi all,
i kind of follow nascar, ambrose is a good driver! yes, he drives the nation wide series,
and sprint cup series. i believe! you can go to nascar.com and check!
tin tops? is that anything like a street stock,hobby stock,late model,modified,sprint car,etc.?
i drove street stock car for along time! my car is a full body stock car with a 7 point rollcage,hail screen windshield, and some plate steel.

FMC351 06-06-2009 09:31 PM

Cool I will have to go have a look for him.

The Aussie tin tops in not often called that, it's a "stock cars" class I guess you would so. It's all current late model saloons called the V8 Supercars.

Based on Ford and Holden (GM) sedans

Check the link below

The official site of V8 Supercars Australia - v8supercars.com.au

This is Austrailia's "top teir" flat track racing series, and the final series Ambrose raced in before heading over the the Crafstmen Truck series. (which we have a ute form of here called the Brute Utes Series, or Brutes for short)

Cheers Ben

FORD RANGER 06-06-2009 10:45 PM

they look fast. that is a full body car. those are cool cars tho. here those cars are SCCA road course cars. i'm used to seeing the street stock cars,limited late models,and mods,sprints...

FORD RANGER 06-07-2009 12:08 AM

i forgot to say cheers ben! and its good to talk to you.and your allways welcome to chat with us. you should visit some of the B/S threads.

Greywolf 06-07-2009 03:37 AM

Now that's cool! Brute UTE's eh? I'll have to surf around about it....

FMC351 06-07-2009 06:59 AM

I'll save you the hassle there Mr Wolf,

V8 Utes -

Enjoy!

FORD RANGER 06-07-2009 05:50 PM

man thats different. we race trucks on asphault and dirt here locally.
you can check out some of our race tracks if you would like.
rivercityspeedway.net and southsoundspeedway.com the cars and trucks are pretty neat looking. south sound even has the big rigs. those are cool!

Greywolf 06-08-2009 02:20 PM

My neighbor across the street has got a UTE here in the States (Memphis TN) and it's like a blend of the mad max car and a Ranchero. He got it from an Aussie trucker that decided to come over here, and brought the car with him.

It's still right hand drive, and is up on jacks in his garage so that he can play with it. I hope he follows this project all the way through instead of trading it for something else when he gets bored like he does with many cars and trucks.

I really don't understand the guy. He spies what he thinks is a good deal, and the next thing you know something is gone and something else is in his driveway. NO STAYING POWER!

You can't really get anything good by throwing your work out the window. :confused:

FMC351 06-09-2009 05:46 AM

Interesting there, if it's in the Mad Max era, then it would be the same shape as mine, a hard find in the US :D

Wait until he is bored then make him a nice offer, nice for you that is!

Greywolf 06-09-2009 09:35 AM

It's definitely the same as yours, just a different colour. I've got to be happy with the projects I already have though, I'm far from rich at this point. 8D

"I'm working on my second million - since the first one just didn't happen...":-X05

FORD RANGER 06-09-2009 06:12 PM

there are a couple of guys that have those cars out here. i seen 1 driving down hwy 26 here in sandy. nice the other must have been a movie car because it had the big gas tanks in the hatch or back end that was cool. and it had the blower on it. and it had the switch for the blower on the shifter just like the movie car did. the other car was a falcon gt 2dr without the tanks and the blower and it was nice too. i got sit in both cars and they are nice! that was soo cool! the one with the blower ran down the hwy to and when he turned the blower on talk about broiling the tires while moving. i never thought that a blower could be turned on and off. i thought that it was mechanically impossible!!
and wolf none of us are rich i'm unemployed!!

Greywolf 06-26-2009 09:53 PM

I met a fella here in Memphis Tennessee just half an hour ago - a KIWI gent.

I gather Burt Munro is a national hero in New Zealand!!! Rightfully so as well...

He said he had as a next door neighbor at one point a man who came over here to bag the land speed record on a bike, but couldn't recall off hand in what class.

He said it was on the order of 350 KPH...........

Does this ring any bells? As far as I know he got it!

And of course it wasn't Burt - who he further explained was considered a "Regular Bloke" as it is said there...

What class of bike was it, d'you think? Anybody got a name to bandy about?

About that "STUFFER" switch. I bet it was a modified air conditioner compressor clutch adapted to it. I have no idea at all what through-put in an undriven blower would be like though.

FMC351 06-26-2009 10:19 PM

Oh, yeah, he is a ledgend.

So much so Anthony Hopkins played him in a movie released in 2005.

I would highly recomend seeing it if you have not already.

It covers the lot, just for the record, this bloke smelted his own pistons to make better ones and save moeny on buying new!

He also had a lemon tree in the back yard, kind of a running joke for blokes that have seen the movie and have a lemon tree!

Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/

Rent it if you can, I am not sure how accessile it will be over there, but it was a big hit here and in NZ!

Cheers Ben