Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum246/)
-   -   Tonneau Cover (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/854514-tonneau-cover.html)

SPELLY F150 05-27-2009 08:37 AM

Tonneau Cover

My Dad is looking to put a Tonneau cover on his 09 STX (Blue Flame). He is not sure if he wants to go all the way with a fiberglass cover. He has had a Downey SST cover on his past trucks, but it appears that the company has gone under. What are you guys running for Tonneau covers? Thanks for the help....

willywaxer 05-27-2009 08:48 AM

A lot of folks here, like me, are using the Bakflip. Search the threads, lots of good choices on this board.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...pictureid=5928

cpdorroh 05-27-2009 08:49 AM

I am running a full fiberglass A.R.E. LSII cover. The build quaility on it is superb, and leaks have not been an issue whatsoever.

I wanted a hard cover for security, and I liked the looks of the fiberglass covers. I was afraid that one of those covers that rolls away or flips back would leak over time, but those seem to be what most of the guys on here use, and most seem pretty satisfied. One of these covers does make it easier to haul items that won't fit under the cover. IMO it all comes down to how often you haul things that won't fit.

Az.scarecrow 05-27-2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SPELLY F150 (Post 7544866)
My Dad is looking to put a Tonneau cover on his 09 STX (Blue Flame). He is not sure if he wants to go all the way with a fiberglass cover. He has had a Downey SST cover on his past trucks, but it appears that the company has gone under. What are you guys running for Tonneau covers? Thanks for the help....

I have the Under Cover UnderCover Toneau Covers and Swing Case and love it. I have had the fiberglass ones in the past and the undercover is much stronger.

The two things I like most about the Under Cover I have is; the strength, rigidity, and the simplicity to remove it when needed. With one person on each side it takes me NO LONGER than 10 seconds to remove.

I hope this helps -

cpdorroh 05-27-2009 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Az.scarecrow (Post 7544927)
I have the Under Cover UnderCover Tonneau Covers and Swing Case bed cover and love it. I have had the fiberglass ones in the past and the undercover is much stronger.

The two things I like most about the Under Cover I have is; the strength, rigidity, and the simplicity to remove it when needed. With one person on each side it takes me NO LONGER than 10 seconds to remove.

I hope this helps -

^^^ I have a buddy that has one of these, and it is VERY easy to remove, especially with 2 people. They are also pretty reasonably priced.

Az.scarecrow 05-27-2009 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by cpdorroh (Post 7544944)
^^^ I have a buddy that has one of these, and it is VERY easy to remove, especially with 2 people. They are also pretty reasonably priced.

I know that most covers are not built to sit or stand on, but thats one thing I could boast about mine. I would even feel comfortable with two or three adults standing on it at the same time.

The bad thing about the undercover is if you break a corner off or crack the rolled edge, its NOT as simple to repair as fiberglass. But it is stronger.

All though I like the look, I always worried about the fold up one's leaking at the joints. I never owned the fold up or roll up, so who knows.

aliasmax 05-27-2009 10:35 AM

I have the access roll up cover on my 2009 f150 xlt. I also had the access on my dodge. the are not water tight. They do leak on the corners. They redesigned the covers 2 years ago and thats the one i have on the ford. I get a small amount of water in from the back corners. front is pretty water tight. I don't carry anything in the back that water will hurt so to me it don't make a differance.

willywaxer 05-27-2009 10:40 AM

In terms of leaks, you will have them if you have the optional tailgate manstep, as there are grooves on either side of the cap that extend into the bed. This is the only place I notice water getting in with the Bakflip.

broncobran68 05-27-2009 11:42 AM

I had the pace edwards bedlocker on my last truck. It was awesome. The $1800 price tag is the only thing holding me back from getting another one.

SteveVFX4 05-27-2009 06:43 PM

another satisfied Bakflip HD owner here. One of the best I've owned so far and I tried several styles over the years. Just can't beat the low profile looks and functionality (easily folds out of the way) when you need to haul big items.

Email me if you want some good info on where to buy one.

Toto 06-05-2009 06:14 AM

I had an Access on my Dodge Cummins for four years.
I loved it and would get another in a heart beat.
As it happens, Ford had a 1K coupon for accessories and I got the Ford soft cover, plus some other stuff.
It may as well have been an Access...nice design and works well.
Once again though, the Access is an outstanding product and guaranteed for life....just not cheap.
I went through four winters with lots of snow, and it still looked new.
Hope this helps.
BTW, Truxedo make some nice soft covers also.

jester8484 02-07-2010 06:59 PM

thanks guys this thread was really helpful.. i just bought a f150 recently and was interested in a roll up cover.

thread win!