Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crossovers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum219/)
-   -   MKX Opinions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/849542-mkx-opinions.html)

madjak 05-10-2009 09:42 AM

MKX Opinions

My wife wants a MKX and we went and drive one Friday. It seemed to drive fine and was extremely comfortable. Came home and started doing some research.
One of the car review sites, Edmunds, said the interior materials were inferior and that there was a problem with the brakes fading.

Would aprreciate any opinions on this or anything else good or bad about the MKX.

:-X0A6

Primetime1 05-11-2009 09:30 AM

Can't say on the MKX, but the Edge (basically) is a great car. My wife and I love ours minus the PTU issue we've had. Even with that, I'd still recommend it highly. I have zero complaints other that the PTU issue, which is big, but I think they either will fix it, or hopefully already have.

madjak 05-11-2009 09:59 AM

Primetime1,

Thanks for your response.

Not sure what PTU stands for or what the PTU issue is.

Primetime1 05-12-2009 08:50 AM

Well, if you go to fordedgeforums.com and read the burning smell saga, you'll know. I'd bring it up to your dealer before you purchase. I see in your sig that you are in TX, so you'll probably never have the issue as it seems to be related to cold climates and is on the all wheel drive versions only. I'm in MT and it has happened 3 times each after a sub-zero stint. PTU is the power take off unit. It supplies power to the rear wheels. Think of it as a transfer case on your truck, only it controls the rears instead of the fronts. Anyway good luck. I highly recommend the vehicle. I'm getting great mileage with it - much better than I thought it would get, and it has all the comforts.

madjak 05-12-2009 10:00 AM

We are looking at FWD not the AWD. Anyway, my wife is still deciding but the MKX
feels pretty good. Also looking at the Volvo XC90.

Thanks for your replys

tiny1 05-13-2009 08:19 PM

Jack, I too have an Edge that we bought used back in December with 7100 miles on it. Cuurently we have about 9600 miles on it and have not any issues at all with it. As you mentioned about the MKX, it is a very comfortable ride and is very fun to drive. I have noticed that when I hit the brakes to stop, if I do not tap the pedal first, the brakes just seem to take longer to stop the car. I have to do the same thing with my truck also.

glruff 05-13-2009 08:33 PM

Hi Jack, my wife has an 07 MKX and has commented more that once that this is the best vehicle she has ever owned. It has about 11,000 miles on it now, mostly short runs with the grandkids, grocery shopping, beauty parlor:), etc. Only problem ever had was warped rotors on the front which was promptly fixed. No other problems.

As far as the interior, it is as good as any car we tried at the time in its class.

MPG seems to be getting better with age, for us anyway.

Wife also said she feels safer in the MKX because it is AWD and she sits higher than most cars. It is real easy for her to handle in all sorts of weather.

madjak 05-14-2009 06:17 AM

Neil, George,

Thank you for your comments on the Edge and MKX. We will look more this weekend
and probably try to make a deal on something next week.
Auto dealers still don't seem to be too eager to make a deal. Thought this would be a good time to buy but GM in particular is offering very small discounts. My wife really liked the Buick Enclave but the best deal I could find was $4600.00 off the MSRP.
Not much of a discount on a $40.000. car.
Ford and Lincoln seem much more willing to make a deal.
Probably why they didn't need bailout money.

parcs 06-08-2009 07:04 AM

I have had my 2007 AWD MKX since January 08 and have no problems at all. Am very impressed. I live in northeastern North Dakota where it can get to 40 below zero and have had no PTU problems. The THX sound system with DVD player is great. It has generally been as dependable as sunrise.

madjak 06-08-2009 07:25 AM

parcs,

Thank you for your reply and welcome to FTE.
That cold weather sounds good.....it will be 95 today in Houston and hotter
as the week progresses.
I was pushing for the Lincoln but my wife wanted the Buick Enclave with more room.

Good luck,

parcs 06-20-2009 10:34 AM

Madjack, best of luck with the Buick.

madjak 08-18-2009 12:22 PM

Well, we bit the bullet and traded the Enclave in on a MKX. We pick it up today.
Even after taking a $3000.00 hit on the Enclave , we made a pretty good deal using
the Z plan.

Glad to be rid of the Enclave.

85e150 08-19-2009 11:34 PM

I've ridden in the GMC version, Acadia. Seemed like it was a cave back there, but otherwise OK. What, praytell, was so unlivable about that Enclave that you'd take a hit on a 6 month old vehicle?

madjak 08-20-2009 11:55 AM

It was only 2 1/2 months old. To start with, there was very little quality on the interior.
Very uncomfortable for anything longer than a short drive. The main thing I could not handle was the way the doors operate. If you open to any position other than the two stops,it will spring back on you. It got me twice , my granddaughter once and the dog once.
This was a $40,000 car and I didn't want tp pay this kind of money for such an inferior product. Even my wife turned against it in the end. She was the one that originally wanted it. Plus a serious binding in the front end when you tuened left all the way.
Had in the shop twice for that and they could not fix it.

notasinger 08-24-2009 04:26 PM

2007 MKX with over 50,000 miles. It is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned and we have not had a major issue with it. Had the passenger side door panel replaced and the transmission tuned under warranty. Other than that, just routine maintenance. The wife is happy, I'm happy.