Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Help! 2000 Expy stuck in park. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/842453-help-2000-expy-stuck-in-park.html)

tim1234 04-16-2009 05:33 PM

Help! 2000 Expy stuck in park.

I hopped in my 2000 Ford Expedition EB 4x4 today and started up the vehicle. Then I attempted to grab the shifter and shift into drive, but it didn't move. I tried pulling it back towards me and it wouldn't go. It's stuck. I can jiggle it around just a bit, but that's it.
Any ideas what I should try? I am thinking the next step is to start dismantling the steering column and see if the shifter is hanging up. Does this sound right?

ford12508 04-16-2009 05:50 PM

I know this may sound simple, but try putting the brake to the floor and then shift. Anything and everything should be attempted before dismantling is necessary.

Modified 99 04-16-2009 06:47 PM

If you are parked on a steep hill you may have a problem and need someone with another vehicle to assist you in releasing the force/tension on the transmission shift lever.

heymrdj 04-16-2009 08:49 PM

Sounds like the shift interlock. You're going to need a friend for this.

1. Start vehicle
2. While someone watches brake lights, depress the brakes. If any of the two main brake lights are out, it will cause the shift interlock to remain locked. (I'm pretty sure the third light doesn't do anything in this case). If a light is out, checkout the bulb, if the bulb is good move on.
3. Open the fuse panel and check for the respective blown fuses for the tail light circuit. If it's blown, change it. It may blow immediately again though when you depress the brakes to shift out of gear, causing your interlock to remain locked. If it blows you have a short circuit (grounding issue). In this case, you've got to see where the tail light harness is grounding on the frame. On our 95 bronco it was a tiny hole the size of a pin head worn from vibration through the insulation where the wire harness ran along the frame of the bumper. Some electrical tape and after a new tail light and 5 blown fuses trying to find it, problem no more.

AGE 04-16-2009 10:31 PM

It does sound like the shift interlock. Can you shift it to neutral with the engine off? In most Fords you can. If so move shifter to neutral before starting. Then start in neutral, not park. Then it should go into drive or reverse and you can move the vehicle. Don't put it into park until you get where you are going. When you want to go again, start in neutral. Get the tail lights fixed when convenient.

heymrdj 04-17-2009 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by AGE (Post 7396430)
It does sound like the shift interlock. Can you shift it to neutral with the engine off? In most Fords you can. If so move shifter to neutral before starting. Then start in neutral, not park. Then it should go into drive or reverse and you can move the vehicle. Don't put it into park until you get where you are going. When you want to go again, start in neutral. Get the tail lights fixed when convenient.

Did not realize this. I don't think I've ever tried it with the Expedition, something to try next time I'm in it.

projectSHO89 04-17-2009 07:04 AM

Shift interlock bypass instructions are in your owner's manual.

The interlock is NOT connected electrically to the brake lamp circuit in ANY way on a 2000. 1998 was the last year for that and a faulty light bulb cannot cause the interlock release to fail in any event. While while the 99 and newer uses the same physical switch as the brake lamp circuit, it is a separate circuit in that switch that releases the interlock (among other things). The switch is still the most common failure point for this symptom on 99 and newer. Do check the fuse first (CJB F15) since it will also produce the same symptom if open.

Steve