Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Growing canola (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/841920-growing-canola.html)

blieux1 04-14-2009 10:30 PM

Growing canola

I live in the Northeast part of louisiana and want to know if I can grow canola here. Also where can I buy seeds and how much do they cost. Can I build my own system to extract the oil and how do I do it?. Does anyone have plans for this? How many gal. of oil per acre can I expect?

fabmandelux 04-15-2009 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by blieux1 (Post 7387957)
I live in the Northeast part of louisiana and want to know if I can grow canola here. Also where can I buy seeds and how much do they cost. Can I build my own system to extract the oil and how do I do it?. Does anyone have plans for this? How many gal. of oil per acre can I expect?

Canola will grow most anywhere. Check with your local seed companys for seed. If you want a couple of pounds of seed to test let me know, and I can send you some of last years crop. The oil extractor you need will depend on how much seed you want to press out. Let me know how much seed you want to extract and I can get you some links to the equipment you'll need. Yeald is approx 150-200+ gallons per acre.

Planting rates are 8 pounds/acre.

RRranch 04-15-2009 08:31 AM

I'd recommend doing a little more research and planting something that is safe to feed the waste products to livestock. Canola, rape plants, is highly toxic stuff. The plants can kill even a goat. That's not internet rumor. It's fact. It's not safe for animal consumption.
We are going to do a few acres of soybeans instead this year and the junk left over after extracting the oil can be fed to our goats. Soybeans are cheap too. I'm still researching alfalfa since we already grow several acres of it and it's a permanent crop pretty much.
Noone around here would even consider planting canola due to the toxicity of it to animals. Canola oil isn't the best thing in the world to be using in your kitchen either. Look at all the junk about it on the internet. I find it kinda weird that my own wife ended up paralyzed and diagnosed with MS just a year after that garbage was allowed into this country. MS is one of the big diseases being linked to canola oil.

I know there are a lot of websites claiming that there are false rumors circulating around the internet but look at who owns or is paying for those websites. There are a lot more sites claiming it is bad than good. Plus the US government says it's good for you. That really makes me wonder about it's safety.

Just food for thought.

fabmandelux 04-15-2009 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by RRranch (Post 7388992)
I'd recommend doing a little more research and planting something that is safe to feed the waste products to livestock. Canola, rape plants, is highly toxic stuff. The plants can kill even a goat. That's not internet rumor. It's fact. It's not safe for animal consumption.
We are going to do a few acres of soybeans instead this year and the junk left over after extracting the oil can be fed to our goats. Soybeans are cheap too. I'm still researching alfalfa since we already grow several acres of it and it's a permanent crop pretty much.
Noone around here would even consider planting canola due to the toxicity of it to animals. Canola oil isn't the best thing in the world to be using in your kitchen either. Look at all the junk about it on the internet. I find it kinda weird that my own wife ended up paralyzed and diagnosed with MS just a year after that garbage was allowed into this country. MS is one of the big diseases being linked to canola oil.

I know there are a lot of websites claiming that there are false rumors circulating around the internet but look at who owns or is paying for those websites. There are a lot more sites claiming it is bad than good. Plus the US government says it's good for you. That really makes me wonder about it's safety.

Just food for thought.

I've been on this site for years, and I have never heard such pure unadultrated BULL CRAP! Where do you come up with this B.S.?
I've been growing Canola, AND using the feedcake for 4 years now with not one problem. Farmers have been growing it here for over 20 years and feeding it to their cattle. Show me the STUDYS or go somewhere else to spread your crap. I'll bet you can't produce even one! TROLL!!!!

Edit: I'll sit in front of ya and eat the raw seeds all day long...........

TXHillCountry 04-15-2009 01:02 PM

I think he's confusing canola with "pure" rapeseed. Although canola is a member of the rapeseed family, it's entirely different in its toxicity properties in that it has considerably less of the glucosinolate toxin as well as much less erucic acid, both of which have history of health issues. Canolas, and others like it, were bred out of the purer rapeseed family to produce a safe, healthy oil-deriving plant.

But, more likely, he's propagating an old "urban myth" email hoax that continues to circulate, claiming that canola is unfit for human consumption.

RRranch 04-15-2009 03:29 PM

I love how some people are so quick to start calling people trolls on forums like this.

I just found out about the so called email hoax today by reading the wikipedia article on canola. There are literally thousands of websites out there on the subject though and the big majority of them are claiming health problems with it. Even some medical journals I've seen quoted claim problems. I'm not going to risk it anymore. Noone around here grows it either. I know that for a fact. Being a farmer myself I have a pretty good handle on what other people plant. Almost every crop grown here ends up as animal feed at one point or another. If people even think it's unsafe then it's not getting planted.

Asbestos used to be safe too by the way. Or at least the government said it was. And the big factories that produced it. Look back at history before calling people a troll.

blieux1 04-15-2009 05:50 PM

I was thinking of trying to get together with local farmers and let them grow the crop. I have a good understanding of making biodiesel. Run 2 trucks on it. I thouht maybe the farmers and I could get together and form a coop. I think we could produce it for ourselfs.

fabmandelux 04-15-2009 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by blieux1 (Post 7391179)
I was thinking of trying to get together with local farmers and let them grow the crop. I have a good understanding of making biodiesel. Run 2 trucks on it. I thouht maybe the farmers and I could get together and form a coop. I think we could produce it for ourselfs.

Very doable. I'm in the process of forming a local co-op here. I have 5 farmers signed up, and each will be growing 100 acres each. We are going a little different direction tho. I've designed a portable oil press/bio processor that will make the rounds of the different farms. One thing this does is remove the permitting process because it will not be a permanent building anywhere. If we had a central plant, storage would also be a problem. The 5 farmers involved all have their own seed storage, so they will harvest their own grain, store it until they need fuel, then call in the portable plant. This way they don't have biodiesel storage problems, and only make as much fuel as they need for the next 30 days. We will set yearly fixed costs for the "processing" of the biodiesel, and all will have a share in the money generated from the sale of the feed meal. A win-win for all concerned!

blieux1 04-15-2009 07:23 PM

That sound good to me would like to know more. I was thinking like you on the 100 ac per farmer.

fabmandelux 04-15-2009 07:37 PM

One nice thing about forming a co-op is the ability for the individual farmer to sell his "extra" fuel to another farm OR a construction company (for off-road) with no taxes due or Gov regulation. 4 out of the 5 farmers that I'm working with use about 10,000-14,000 gallons per year so they will have excess to sell, and keep their fuel costs lower.

By forming a co-op you eliminate 5 levels of Gov regulation, and by going with a portable plant you eliminate even more regulation! :)

Lazy K 04-16-2009 07:44 AM

I remember reading an article in the farming press about three years ago about a company who made an interesting device. It was a combined press and furnace. The idea was that you supplied it with canola seed, it extracted the oil and then burnt the "meal" in the furnace to provide home heating with the oil left for running a diesel.
If you are interested in oil extraction from canola seed do a google search for "screw press" and it may throw up something.
Having said all that I am struggling with the economics of it all with mineral oil at around $50 a barrel.

fabmandelux 04-16-2009 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lazy K (Post 7393264)
I remember reading an article in the farming press about three years ago about a company who made an interesting device. It was a combined press and furnace. The idea was that you supplied it with canola seed, it extracted the oil and then burnt the "meal" in the furnace to provide home heating with the oil left for running a diesel.
If you are interested in oil extraction from canola seed do a google search for "screw press" and it may throw up something.
Having said all that I am struggling with the economics of it all with mineral oil at around $50 a barrel.

Yes you could burn the "meal" but what a waste. I sell my feedmeal for $200/ton to a local cattle ranch, and burn the glycerol for process heat. What are you using the mineral oil for?

Lazy K 04-16-2009 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux (Post 7393295)
Yes you could burn the "meal" but what a waste. I sell my feedmeal for $200/ton to a local cattle ranch, and burn the glycerol for process heat. What are you using the mineral oil for?

Running two trucks, one diesel and one gas.

TXHillCountry 04-16-2009 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lazy K (Post 7393326)
What are you using the mineral oil for?

Running two trucks, one diesel and one gas.

???? I don't understand. Not sure how mineral oil factors into that?

Rushmore X 04-16-2009 05:32 PM

Petroleum???