Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   1955 ford f100 body colors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/841798-1955-ford-f100-body-colors.html)

budsweeds 04-14-2009 04:33 PM

1955 ford f100 body colors

does anyone have a listing of the color codes and colors for the the 1955 ford f-100 pickup. doing one and auto color library does not have the list.
doing the truck to specs.

Stephen67 04-14-2009 05:33 PM

http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re..._Material.html

http://www.lovefords.org/tech/Vin/paint/ford/55_f.htm

Julies Cool F1 04-14-2009 05:36 PM

Have you tried looking at these?

LOVEfords - 1955 Ford Paint Color Codes

Also from Page XII of the "1948 to 1956 Ford Truck Parts and Accessories Illustrations Catalogue" 1955 lists the following colors:

Color Code/Part#/Color

A/M-1724/Black
B/M-2J-346/Banner Blue
C/M-2J-347/Aquatone Blue
D/M-2J-355/Waterfall Blue
E/M-2J-354/Snowshoe White
G/M-2J-349/Sea Sprite Green
R/M-2J-175/Torch Red
U/M-14283/Meadow Green
V/M-2J-358/Goldenrod Yellow
P/ /Prime
SS/ /Special

The letter under "Color Code" is what appears on your glove box rating plate unless it was a special color marked "SS"

Edit note: Stephen and I must have been typing at the same time - nice chart!

budsweeds 04-14-2009 05:50 PM

a BIG thank you

Thanks for the quick info. Know I am going to need help along the way on this one. It came to me in about 6000 pieces.

Julies Cool F1 04-15-2009 01:30 AM

Only 6000 pieces! Some people really do have all the luck. And thinking about paint right off the bat - that's pretty gutsy! :-missingt

Lets just hope you don't need 10,000 for the whole truck!

thechassisman 02-27-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 (Post 7386535)
Have you tried looking at these?

LOVEfords - 1955 Ford Paint Color Codes

Also from Page XII of the "1948 to 1956 Ford Truck Parts and Accessories Illustrations Catalogue" 1955 lists the following colors:

Color Code/Part#/Color

A/M-1724/Black
B/M-2J-346/Banner Blue
C/M-2J-347/Aquatone Blue
D/M-2J-355/Waterfall Blue
E/M-2J-354/Snowshoe White
G/M-2J-349/Sea Sprite Green
R/M-2J-175/Torch Red
U/M-14283/Meadow Green
V/M-2J-358/Goldenrod Yellow
P/ /Prime
SS/ /Special

The letter under "Color Code" is what appears on your glove box rating plate unless it was a special color marked "SS"

Edit note: Stephen and I must have been typing at the same time - nice chart!

My 55 Ford Panel Truck Has a Y for the color code, Could this be Mountain Green? I thought Mountain Green was a car color only. Anyone know?

Julies Cool F1 02-27-2010 07:41 PM

Sometimes....and I mean sometimes (as if there was no standard) If the truck was ordered with a special paint color that was used for that year - ie, the owner wanted the 55 truck painted one of the 55 car colors that normally wasn't offered as a standard color on trucks - the correct car color code would be entered on teh rating plate. If there was a color from another year of fords or a special color, then the rating plate would have and "SS."

So if yo have a "Y" it would mean the special order color would have been from the 55 year car color lot (since "Y" was not a truck color option) and yes it would have been "Mountain Green."

thechassisman 02-27-2010 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 (Post 8574151)
Sometimes....and I mean sometimes (as if there was no standard) If the truck was ordered with a special paint color that was used for that year - ie, the owner wanted the 55 truck painted one of the 55 car colors that normally wasn't offered as a standard color on trucks - the correct car color code would be entered on teh rating plate. If there was a color from another year of fords or a special color, then the rating plate would have and "SS."

So if yo have a "Y" it would mean the special order color would have been from the 55 year car color lot (since "Y" was not a truck color option) and yes it would have been "Mountain Green."

Julie, On the truck, the only original paint that was left, was under the dash and on the glovebox door, and was a similar color, Sea Sprite Green, which is the G code I believe, so the special order paint was only put on the exterior. This Panel is the only F100 Marmon Herrington Ranger that has been accounted for (so far).
I've been confused about that Y code, and want to do the most correct restoration on it as possible, so I will have to buy both colors, and hope it doesn't look too strange. Although I guess that will at least add a little more to its rarity. Thanks for your help, just in time, I would have bought too much of one of the colors. Mark

1950 1952 1955 V8 Marmon Herrington Rangers

Mark

Julies Cool F1 02-27-2010 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by thechassisman (Post 8574320)
Julie, On the truck, the only original paint that was left, was under the dash and on the glovebox door, and was a similar color, Sea Sprite Green, which is the G code I believe, so the special order paint was only put on the exterior. This Panel is the only F100 Marmon Herrington Ranger that has been accounted for (so far).
I've been confused about that Y code, and want to do the most correct restoration on it as possible, so I will have to buy both colors, and hope it doesn't look too strange. Although I guess that will at least add a little more to its rarity. Thanks for your help, just in time, I would have bought too much of one of the colors. Mark

1950 1952 1955 V8 Marmon Herrington Rangers

Mark

Well, first I am very doubtful that the factory would have painted the interior and exterior different colors. BUT, if the truck was a ordered by a special customer - say the Military, the Forest Service, Coca Cola, etc, there's a good chance it was repainted to company colors in the customers shop after it was delivered.

There's an equally good chance the Rating Plate is not original - is your frame serial number the same as that on the rating plate?

If the rating plate is original, look at it and let me know if it had a "production code" or DSO designation.

I'm sure that the paint color will not be the only unusual feature you will find!

abe 02-27-2010 09:10 PM

if the M-H Ranger was used by a State or National Forest Service then they might have wanted it painted Mountain Green, makes sense...

thechassisman 02-27-2010 09:10 PM

The serial number on the glove box data plate, the vin number on the title, the frame numbers, and the Marmon Herrington Data plate on the outside of the glove box door all match. The M-H data plate as they all do, only uses the last five digits that the other three all have the same at the ends. Very interesting that there are marks in the DSO box, they are an asterisk and a dot, just how they look here * . Do you have any idea what that means? Thanks again for your help, and for the question about the DSO, I hadn't really though about it having any meaning. Sounds like you know your #s. Thanks, Mark

thechassisman 02-27-2010 11:39 PM

About the 55, since the color code "Y" was stamped on Fords' data plate, doesn't it makes sense that Ford must have received the request for the "Y" designated paint, before it left the assembly plant, where the plate was attached?
I also have a 1952 M-H converted F1 that was painted Orange for the Colorado Highway Dept. that has original Ford Gray on the inside. The paint code is SS, so like you said, SS would be the correct code stamping for a special order color, not done in a Ford color or a color available from Ford that year. Also this 52 F1 has no markings in the DSO area of the glove box data plate. Thank you for any info you can give me on this, Mark

thechassisman 02-28-2010 12:24 AM

Julie,

My brain didn't compute your asking about the Production code. on the 55 Ranger data plate it has 23ELP360* and on the 52 F1 M-H truck it has 26EDP355 Do you know what these mean? Thanks, Mark

Julies Cool F1 02-28-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by thechassisman (Post 8575284)
Julie,

My brain didn't compute your asking about the Production code. on the 55 Ranger data plate it has 23ELP360* and on the 52 F1 M-H truck it has 26EDP355 Do you know what these mean? Thanks, Mark

Well, honestly, no. There isn't alot (if any) info on the Production codes that early. And there seems to be even less consistancy.

BUT, what we do know is that if the truck had a production code, it was probably not ordered by a private citizen, but rather under some sort of contract from a company or organization that ordered a number of trucks, again like the Military, or Forest Service.

It more or less confirms - in my feeble mind anyway - that the truck was ordered under a large contract and if the paint scheme was as you say, it was probably repainted to fit the scheme of the buyer - after it was delivered.

thechassisman 02-28-2010 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 (Post 8574440)
Well, first I am very doubtful that the factory would have painted the interior and exterior different colors. BUT, if the truck was a ordered by a special customer - say the Military, the Forest Service, Coca Cola, etc, there's a good chance it was repainted to company colors in the customers shop after it was delivered.

There's an equally good chance the Rating Plate is not original - is your frame serial number the same as that on the rating plate?

If the rating plate is original, look at it and let me know if it had a "production code" or DSO designation.

I'm sure that the paint color will not be the only unusual feature you will find!

Julie,
I think you are right about the production codes.
Though I didn't say "painted after it was delivered", and of course they wouldn't have painted the interior and exterior different colors. Seems apparent that they only added the special order paint color, over a requested existing stock color, and only on to the exterior.
It would have been way too expensive to mask or remove all of the interior, and sand and prime all of the interior surfaces, mask the door handles guages, knobs, and to try to protect the headliner, sun visors kick panel floor mat, seats, steering wheel, column, door weatherstripping, on and on, and leave the doors open for a couple of days so they didn't stick shut on new paint.
I think if a truck had a special order paint code put on the data plate, that meant that when it got to the dealer, the dealer would paint the outside to the requested code, or if not equipped to paint it, would have a local shop do it for them BEFORE it was delivered to the customer.
If I bought a new truck back then, and wanted it to be a different color AFTER I took delivery, it seems that it would still have the stock color code on the data plate. The Ford plant and dealer where it came from would have had no reason to put a special order code on it unless they were to supposed have something to do with actually changing the color before the customer got it.
I have seen other special coded paint jobs, even Chevys, and they all were Gray trucks, painted a special color on the outside only. This 1955 Rangers paint scheme seemed odd because the inside was Sea Sprite Green not Gray, and had the "Y" code on the data plate, and Mountain Green paint outside,..well I JUST REALIZED WHY !!!,... Ford didn't make any Gray trucks in 1955!!, so they had to use a truck that had the least conflicting original color.
I'de bet if you found a 1955 Coca Cola truck, it would be Ford Red on the inside, Coca Cola Red only on the outside, an SS color code on the data plate if Ford did the painting for them before delivery, or the Ford original "R" Red code on it if Coke took them as they were and did their own painting. Mark