Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Backup sensors troubleshooting? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/838024-backup-sensors-troubleshooting.html)

H1449-6 04-02-2009 10:34 PM

Backup sensors troubleshooting?

My backup sensors are not working.

I have gotten under the bumper and wriggled the wiring with no improvement.

How do I troubleshoot this? My initial thought is to unclip each sensor from the harness and wash the contacts with cleaning fluid. If corrosion has caused a problem maybe this will correct that?

Beyond that, how would I test for a bad sensor? Any idea of the cost of a replacement sensor, if it turns out that one is bad?

Thank you.

DaveandJennyP 04-03-2009 04:58 AM

I need the same answers......

officer131 04-03-2009 05:14 AM

One way is to slowly back up until you hit something. one way of telling if one sensor is bad. :-missingt.

I have always had to clean the outside of the sensor with a rag or something with liquid on it. Dirt/dust/salt always blocks the unit.

lastly, dont know what the replacement cost is.

howler4x4 04-03-2009 10:18 AM

If it does not work at all, don't look a single sensor but at a root cause.

- Central junction box (CJB) fuse 28 (15 A)

I hope you can stop there!

From the Service Manual CD

good luck!

Parking Aid

The parking aid system consists of the following:

l four ultrasonic parking aid sensors (located in the rear bumper)

l parking aid module (PAM) (located behind the RH cowl kick panel)

l parking aid speaker—audible warning tone (located on the PAM)

l parking aid switch (located in the instrument panel)

l reverse gear select input (to the PAM from reversing lamp circuit)

«2001 F-Super Duty, Excursion, Motorhome Table of Contents»
«Group 4: Electrical»
«Section 413-13: PARKING AID»
«DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING»

Parking Aid

Refer to the Wiring Diagrams Cell 131 («Excursion/F-Super Duty», «F53 Motorhome») for schematic and connector information.

Special Service Tool(s)

73III Automotive Meter
105-R0057 or equivalent

Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS)
418–F224,
New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester
418–F052, or equivalent diagnostic tool

Principles of Operation

Note:
The liftgate and back doors must be closed for correct operation of the parking aid system.

The parking aid system detects objects behind the vehicle when the vehicle is in reverse (R) gear. The parking aid module (PAM) does this by calculating the distance to an object by the use of four ultrasonic sensors mounted in the rear bumper. The ultrasonic field is emitted in a semicircular area around the rear of the vehicle. The sensors can detect objects approximately 1.8 m (5.9 ft) to the rear of the vehicle, 50 cm (1.6 ft) to the rear side of the vehicle. A 750 kHz variable warning tone is generated from a speaker located inside the RH cowl kick panel. The speaker increases its warning tone rate as the vehicle gets closer to an obstacle. When an object is detected within 25 cm (10 in) of the sensors, the warning tone becomes continuous.

The parking aid system is enabled when the vehicle ignition switch is in RUN and reverse (R) gear is selected. The parking aid disabled indicator will illuminate for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN. The system can be disabled by depressing the parking aid switch on the instrument panel. The parking aid system will indicate it is disabled by illuminating the parking aid disabled indicator (in the parking aid switch). The system will always enable when the ignition is turned to RUN, or when the vehicle is put into reverse (R) gear.

The parking aid system will be disabled if a fault is detected in one of the four sensors, the parking aid speaker or the parking aid module. This will be indicated by the parking aid disabled indicator being illuminated when the vehicle is put into reverse(R) gear. The PAM is on the International Standards Organization (ISO) 9141 network and can be diagnosed with a diagnostic tool.

Inspection and Verification

1. Verify the customer concern by operating the system.

2. Visually inspect the following for obvious signs of electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ Electrical ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ ù Central junction box (CJB) fuse 28 (15 A) ³
³ ù Circuitry ³
³ ù Parking aid module (PAM) ³
³ ù Parking aid sensors ³
³ ù Parking aid switch ³
³ ù Parking aid switch indicator LED ³
³ ù Parking aid speaker ³
³ ù Reversing lamps ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

3. If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.

4. If the diagnostic tool does not power up, refer to the diagnostic tool manual.

5. Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:

l CKT 914, CKT 915 or CKT 70 — ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOT EQUIP, refer to «Section 418-00».

l NO RESP/NOT EQUIP for PAM, go to Pinpoint Test A.

l SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs and carry out self-test diagnostics for the PAM.

6. If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the PAM Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue diagnostics.

7. If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, proceed to the Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics.

PAM Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index

ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ DTC ³ Description ³ Source ³ Action ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ B1299 ³ Power Supply Sensor Circuit Short to ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test A. ³
³ ³ Ground ³ ³ ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ B1342 ³ ECU is Defective ³ PAM ³ CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the ³
³ ³ ³ ³ PAM self-test. If DTC B1342 ³
³ ³ ³ ³ is retrieved again, INSTALL ³
³ ³ ³ ³ a new PAM; REFER to Parking ³
³ ³ ³ ³ Aid Module in this section. ³
³ ³ ³ ³ REPEAT the self-test, CLEAR ³
³ ³ ³ ³ all DTCs. ³
³ B2373 ³ LED No. 1 Circuit Short to Battery ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ B2477 ³ Module Configuration Failure ³ PAM ³ REFER to Section 418-01. ³
³ C1699 ³ Left Rear Sensor Circuit Short to Vbat ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1700 ³ Left Rear Sensor Circuit Failure ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1701 ³ Left Rear Sensor Circuit Fault ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1702 ³ Right Rear Sensor Circuit Short to Vbat ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1703 ³ Right Rear Sensor Circuit Failure ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1704 ³ Right Rear Sensor Circuit Fault ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1705 ³ Left Rear Center Sensor Circuit Short to ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ ³ Vbat ³ ³ ³
³ C1706 ³ Left Rear Center Sensor Circuit Failure ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1707 ³ Left Rear Center Sensor Fault ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1708 ³ Right Rear Center Sensor Circuit Short to ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ ³ Vbat ³ ³ ³
³ C1709 ³ Right Rear Center Sensor Circuit Failure ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1710 ³ Right Rear Center Sensor Fault ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1742 ³ Rear Sounder Circuit Failure ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1743 ³ Rear Sounder Circuit Short to Vbat ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1748 ³ Switch Input Circuit Short to Gnd ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
³ C1920 ³ LED No. 1 Circuit Failure ³ PAM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B. ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

Symptom Chart

Condition(s):

o Parking aid is inoperative

Possible Source(s):
§ Circuitry.
§ Parking aid sensor.
§ Parking aid speaker.
§ Parking aid switch.
§ PAM.
Following this is a list of 31 tests, each has numerous steps. :-hair

H1449-6 04-03-2009 10:45 AM

Good lord.

Fuse is good, though mine was a 10A, not a 15.

I'll probably go ahead and clean the contacts where the harness connects to the sensors next. Then if still no joy, I'll probably take it somewhere.

howler4x4 04-03-2009 01:08 PM

The parking aid system will be disabled if a fault is detected in one of the four sensors, the parking aid speaker or the parking aid module. This will be indicated by the parking aid disabled indicator being illuminated when the vehicle is put into reverse(R) gear.
If the light is ON, the fault is in 1 of the 4 sensors, the speaker or the PAM.

If the light is NOT on, check the wiring / connectors for damage.

>"Good Lord"
Yeah, it is surprisingly complex:eek:

treener 04-18-2009 03:35 PM

My backup sensor solution!

Hi..Same problem..sensor system turned off when I put my 06 superduty in reverse. I got a new sensor off Ebay for $45. Make sure you get the right part. I called Ford for the part #. Then I started at one side and swapped old with new until I got to the third sensor..Bingo.. It worked for me! Ford wanted like 300 bucks to fix it!! I'm ahead.

H1449-6 04-18-2009 05:00 PM

I haven't been able to get to this, but today the reverse sensor started working again.

Lucky me, I guess.

1 04-18-2009 07:35 PM

After I had my rear tilt out window motors replaced by the dealer my backup sensors have been working intermittently. Makes me wonder if something got bumped on the PAM as if its right by the speaker they were working in that area when replacing the window motors. Its still under warranty till february so once some other things go wrong I will have em look into it. I think the wheel bearings are going south so it probably wont be too long for me.

H1449-6 05-17-2009 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by H1449-6 (Post 7402009)
I haven't been able to get to this, but today the reverse sensor started working again.

Lucky me, I guess.

Update: system has been working on and off for the past few weeks. More off than on.

Any idea what might cause intermittent function?

tetsuo73 07-13-2009 09:18 PM

i am in the same boat. Am I correct to say when the Ex is in Reverse. The parking aid indicator light should be "off"? Once in a while, i put it in reverse and I will hear 1 beep, but the light is always "on". Even when I put the Ex in forward gear.

rougerocco 07-14-2009 05:29 PM

I have the same problem, I have a friend who has the "Lil" Red " computor Ford Dealers use, He told me which one was bad. And there are more then one part#....Changed it bingo it worked...two years later another one is bad.
I think the part is about $60 from the dealer. I might try Ebay too....

05ExcursionLTD 07-14-2009 07:50 PM

Does anyone know the Ford part number for the sensor? I have an 05 Ex.
Thanks,
David C.

H1449-6 07-15-2009 12:35 AM

Turned out it was a bad sensor. Replaced and it works now.

rlh68050 07-17-2009 08:24 AM

If your "off" light is on continuously there is a fault code stored in the PAM (Park Aid Module). A good scan tool like the OTC Genisys or of course the Ford IDS can read faults in the PAM and run a self test. I had this issue with mine and the fault code that was set directed me to the exact sensor that was bad.