Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Spindle Removal/Axle Removal d44 ttb :-( (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/835089-spindle-removal-axle-removal-d44-ttb.html)

1966Tbird 03-25-2009 05:59 PM

Spindle Removal/Axle Removal d44 ttb :-(

well is there an easy way to remove the spindle on a d44 ttb? i've got all the nuts out and i can't remove it, i tried with a screwdriver and a hammer and it won't come off.....soaked with blaster and went to dinner and that's where i am now..

do i have to take off the spindle to get the axles out? could i just take off the knuckle and pull it offand then slide the axles out, i think the passenger's side has a c-clip which is stupid do i have to take the spider gears out to get the c-clip out?

this has turned out to be a bigger job than i expected all i want to do is change the gears...........

why did ford abandon the 9in and the solid axle in f-150s it's so retarded to pay someone to design something (ttb) that sucks compared to a solid axle that was already designed and probably cheaper to stick under these trucks than the damn ttb

.:-banghead:-banghead:-banghead

Blue Rebel 03-25-2009 06:33 PM

so youve got the 4 or 6 bolts holding the spindle on off the studs, right? will then just need a block of wood and BFH. hold the wood on the spindle and bash w/ bfh. the spindle is just frozen into the knuckle. But it will come out.

1966Tbird 03-25-2009 08:43 PM

yeah i had all of the bolts off and i tried the hammer and block deal but with only a 10lb hammer and the block zip tied to the spindle......should i try the 20lb sledge we have? for now i stuck everything back together and am running it

also how the hell do you get off the nut on the top of the knuckle?? my impact gun wouldn't move it 3/8ths drive electric gun, i put a craftsman forged wrench on it with a 4ft long pipe and bent the wrench..........i have a 1in drive air inpact gun i could use but i dont know if it will fit in the wheelwell it's a big mother too it probably weighs 40lbs lol
at what point does the bolt break off? everything was soaked with blaster

right now my plan is to wait till i have the money to help one of my friends do it in his shop but it's probably going to be like $400 since i'll have a bay of his shop tied up for the whole day

i have a set of rockwells sitting outback of the shop that are looking pretty good right now.....but that'll be about a grand to get them in and then i need to get some tires for them or run the 40in tall 40 year old tires that are on them

and i think i broke a bone in my hand the wrench slipped and i ended up punching the frame part that the sway bar mounts to as hard as i could then some it's all swollen up now and hurts like hell to type but that hasn't stopped me from typing like a page lol

hope everyone has a good night and thanks for the responses

quaddriver 03-25-2009 09:58 PM

go grab a railroad spike, sharpen it, and BFH it in from all angles, hitting again with PB and resharping the spike as it dulls.

it will come. or it will explode.

Ohio Ford Farm 03-26-2009 09:20 AM

I have had great luck with the BFH and block of wood. Key for me was to keep moving it around. Hit it a few times from the top, then from the bottom, then side, ect. It will come out of there. I'm not 100% but I think you have to had the axle shaft out in order to pop the knuckle off. I don't THINK there is the room for the shaft to drop that far for the knuckle to come off the ball joints.

Look around the spindle. Some of them have a small notch cut in it ware it matches up to the knuckle. If so drive a cold chisel in there with the BFH. Just be careful to not drive it too far and in to the spindle its self.

1966Tbird 03-26-2009 11:08 AM

well if i can get the axle shaft out without taking off the knuckle that would be great......i only need to get the shafts out in order to put new gears in it but it looked to me like i needed to take the knuckle off to get the shaft off

and the spindle is rusted onto the knuckle so i doubt that i will see a notch

deeznuts822 03-26-2009 11:10 AM

Go off to auto parts store and get a spindle puller. It threads on the spindle and u use a slide hammer. pops em right off
AutoZone.com | 4WDSpindlePuller | 4WDSpindlePuller
It shows not available but u can rent them from autozone and they have them on the shelf.$ 25 to rent or buy

deeznuts822 03-26-2009 11:12 AM

And the right side stub stays in the pumpkin,just undo the clip and slide it out of the slip yoke. The left side is supposed to come out fairly easy.

Towmanjbo 03-26-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1966Tbird (Post 7307304)
also how the hell do you get off the nut on the top of the knuckle?? my impact gun wouldn't move it 3/8ths drive electric gun, i put a craftsman forged wrench on it with a 4ft long pipe and bent the wrench..........i have a 1in drive air inpact gun i could use but i dont know if it will fit in the wheelwell it's a big mother too it probably weighs 40lbs lol
at what point does the bolt break off? everything was soaked with blaster

That big "nut" on top? That's the camber adjusting thing. The ball joint is the smaller nut on top of that with the cotter pin going through it. Once the Knuckle is out you can get that out. I thought it was a nut as well.

1966Tbird 03-26-2009 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by deeznuts822 (Post 7309446)
And the right side stub stays in the pumpkin,just undo the clip and slide it out of the slip yoke. The left side is supposed to come out fairly easy.

sorry to be a pain but could you specify left right to drivers passengers?

n3up 03-26-2009 05:59 PM

I spent a week trying to get the spindle off of my 91 F250. Beat it, chiseled it, cursed at it.....everything. Then I found out about the spindle puller. Bought the tool from the MAC tool guy and a slide hammer from Harbor Freight.
It took me longer to get the puller threaded on than it took to pop the spindles off! Literally it was like 3 good slides and they came right off.
I'm not sure if the 150 goes together the same way as the 250, but be sure to put some never seize on the spindles whe you put it back together.

The left side axle shaft pulled right out, and I seperated the right side at the slip joint since all I was doing was changing the outer U-joints, and the upper & lower ball joints.

If I had had the right tool from the start I could have had the job done in a day or maybe two, instead if the 3 weeks it took because I'd wasted a week and a half before ordering the tool.....

1966Tbird 03-26-2009 06:27 PM

to remove the pumpkin you need to remove the drivers side axle...how do i do this..... and then the passenger's side should just slide out of the yoke when i pull the pumpkin out right?

could someone please give me a step by step on how to remove the axles? that would be so helpfull

1966Tbird 03-26-2009 06:29 PM

ok looking at this http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...ams/d44ttb.GIF i can see what you mean about the slip yoke are the clamps anything special or just hose clamps? can i do this without tearing the boot?

so how do i get the drivers side axle shaft out?
could someone PLEASE give me a step by step on how to get the axles and pumpkin out? that would help SO much!

i assume you somehow take the drivers side axle out then pull the pumpkin out with the passenger's side axle still in it and slip the axle apart at the yoke?

sorry for being retarded with this but this is my first ttb

and i would go look at it but it's raining and my truck is all put back together

Blue Rebel 03-26-2009 08:57 PM

one side (drivers i believe) will pull right out of the pumpkin. the pass side, will slide apart at its slip yolk, you just need to remove the clamps holding the rubber boot on. No they are not hose clamps. BUT, you can cut the old clamps, and on reassembly use hose clamps in their place. then the front diff bolts to the ttb housing. unbolt it, and the carrier and pass side short shaft will come out as 1

1966Tbird 03-26-2009 09:27 PM

so then i don't even need to take off the spindles or the knuckles?

how exactly do i get the driver's side axle out (the one without the boot) of the pumpkin, you said it slides out but it won't slide anywhere with out taking something apart
say i have the wheels, hubs and rotors off so there is just a spindle, where do i need to go from here to get the driver's side out? am i stupid or am i missing something?

sorry i'm being such a pain and asking so many questions...