Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum246/)
-   -   Spray On Bed Liner, What Color? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/834148-spray-on-bed-liner-what-color.html)

BartStar 03-23-2009 04:11 AM

Spray On Bed Liner, What Color?

I was asked what color of the spray on bed liner I wanted.
I told them "Black" because I have seen red and blue spray on liners fade, and I figured the black will fade into gray.
The dealer told me they can make it the exact same color of the truck and the new spray on liners are warranty not to fade.
I said, "No" I will still take the black liner.
Dealer told me the truck would look better with the blue liner that matches the color of the truck, still said "NO" I will go with black!

I have seen other guys with spray on liners that fade very quickly in the sun, the red fades into pink and they make fun of him of the pink color and calls him a girly man.

What do you guys think?
Does the new technoligy in paint and liners changed for the better?
Is it true that the new liners don't fade?

pkvir 03-23-2009 05:27 AM

I'm with you; black.

Chris Anchor 03-23-2009 06:05 AM

I did Black also, I figured easy touch up if ever needed. Plus I think most of the newer sprays are UV protected. Chris

DCRanger 08-21-2009 02:19 PM

Line-X Which Color?

Sorry to hijack an old post but same question here. I have a new 2009 F-150 XLT 4X4 Screw in Sterling Grey Metallic. I've settled on the Line-X but which do you think would look better, Line-X Xtra in Black or the Xtra with Sterling Grey Metallic color match. There's a $175 price difference so I'm leaning towards the black.

tvsjr 08-21-2009 03:20 PM

Black. You're introducing several more things to go wrong when you color match (does the color match, fading, etc.) and it doesn't look any better, in my opinion.

Also, if you're going to add a cover (bakflip, etc.) the color doesn't really matter.

moab_cj5 08-21-2009 03:30 PM

I have an 09 Platinum that is Sterling Gray too. I had a LINE-X liner put in, but my preference wasn't for black. It gets too hot IMO (just my opinion) so I had them make a specail gray blend for me because I didn't want to spend the additional $300 for the color match.

If you go to the LINE-X website, they describe the technology they use to "Guaranty" the color won't fade. They order paint from the factory that is an exact match to your truck, then spray a special UV top coat over it to ensure it won't fade.

The guy that did mine told me that if I don't like the color they did for me, they can spray over it with the Color and protectant to make it exact.

Hope that helps you out. I like the look of mine. It isn't an exact gray match (like I said above), but to me it looks fine, and it isn't black.

DCRanger 08-21-2009 03:47 PM

Thanks. I know the black will look good, not too concerned about heat. And I'm also not convinced the Sterling Grey color will match, even though they say they use the same paint code as the body. I'll have to sleep on it.

moab_cj5 08-21-2009 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by DCRanger (Post 7853963)
Thanks. I know the black will look good, not too concerned about heat. And I'm also not convinced the Sterling Grey color will match, even though they say they use the same paint code as the body. I'll have to sleep on it.

I will try to upload some pictures of mine. I don't think you can go wrong with black though.

LINE-X is a leader in the industry though. That is a great choice.:-headbang

Chris Anchor 08-21-2009 07:35 PM

Six months later and the black still shines. Chris

ChargersFanInCO 08-21-2009 08:03 PM

I finally SAW a colored one today that actually gets used!! It was a Line-X, and it was faded. It was a red, that had turned pink after 2 years. Where it was freshly scratched, it was red. I'm sure the Truckster will argue, but the guy says his colored one scratches a helluva lot easier than the black one on his kids truck. I know I scratched my Line-X with a bicycle pedal once. Dinged it all the way to the paint underneath.

SteveVFX4 08-21-2009 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO (Post 7854869)
I know I scratched my Line-X with a bicycle pedal once. Dinged it all the way to the paint underneath.

say what, I thought that stuff was supposed to be strong and durable? and you pay $400 to $500 for it?

I never really seen Line-X in person, but seems everybody swears by them. I don't get the color matched ones, it's going to get all dirty?

I've been perfectly happy with the factory drop in liner, and my mountain bike pedal can't bust through it! Flame away...:-X07

DCRanger 08-21-2009 09:40 PM

Black it is

ChargersFanInCO 08-22-2009 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4 (Post 7855311)
say what, I thought that stuff was supposed to be strong and durable? and you pay $400 to $500 for it?

I never really seen Line-X in person, but seems everybody swears by them. I don't get the color matched ones, it's going to get all dirty?

I've been perfectly happy with the factory drop in liner, and my mountain bike pedal can't bust through it! Flame away...:-X07

The Line-X was in the truck when I bought it. I didn't buy it. I have Rhino in my 08, and it's just fine. Haven't scratched it yet. I'll never buy a Line-X after getting my Rhino for $200.00 cheaper. I haul rocks, firewood, and all kinds of other stuff and it washes right out and stays shiny.

Yes, the colored ones do fade apparently. They fade faster than the paint does, and that's FOR SURE. "The colored ones are a rip off if you use your truck bed and it sits in the sun". That quote is from a guy in Fort Collins that has a pink Line-X.:-missingt

smcrae 08-22-2009 04:26 PM

I put a black Line-X liner in my Sterling Grey truck.

Matches the bed extender and black plastic tailgate panel better than Grey would have.

DCRanger 08-22-2009 08:37 PM

Had the Black Line-X Xtra installed today by the Dealer in Fredericksburg, VA. I highly recommend him. It looks great and I'm sure it'll be tough as nails. When it stops raining I'll post some pics. Thanks for the inputs:)