Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   2001 7.3 cold start and stall (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/833243-2001-7-3-cold-start-and-stall.html)

Jakesrodshop 03-20-2009 10:41 AM

2001 7.3 cold start and stall

hey,
on a 2001 f250 w/7.3td i have here at the shop it's hard to keep it running when the engines cold. say i go out and start it in the morning it will run between 3-10 minutes before it stumbles than stalls. go back out start it again, this time it cranks a bit longer than the first start but it starts back up and runs for another 3-10 minutes before it stalls again. you can repeat this process until the motor in warmed up to normal operating temp and it stops stalling and runs fine. if you shut the truck off than go to start it before it cools off it runs just as it should. any ideas? i think i have a leak in the suction side of my fuel line behind my rail pump. just put a new rail pump and cam sensor in the truck.

megawatt00 03-20-2009 12:16 PM

Two things that I would check are the GPR and the GP's. The other thing is make sure that the oil is full fresh and the right type, also that the oil level on the HPOP is where it needs to be and not draining back.

Jakesrodshop 03-20-2009 02:17 PM

i just check the glow plug relay. the glow plugs were replaced 8 months ago. I did notice it appeared that the rear main seal was leaking but there is a lot of oil in the valley under the fuel filter.

Kwikkordead 03-20-2009 02:52 PM

Jim if the glow plugs weren't heating the engine wouldn't even start.
Having the engine run for ten minutes and then stall out completely eliminates a glow plug issue, that is PLENTY of time for the piston crowns to get heated enough to maintain idle.
Jake, I recommend that you eliminate the quick connects between the fuel pump and the fuel tank. They are notorious for allowing an air leak in and then the fuel supply stops and/or get's badly airated.
Simply cut them out and replace them with fuel injection rated hose and standard screw clamps. What I did on mine was use two clamps per union and situate the clamps 180 degrees from each other with one screw head on top and the other one on the bottom to ensure that there is no possiblity of an air getting sucked into the feed line for the fuel pump.
It will make a HUGE difference, even it that is not the cause of the stalling.

Kwikkordead 03-20-2009 02:53 PM

The other thing that I am thinking is the strainers in the fuel pickup get clogged.
You may have to drop the tank and clean them out.

Jakesrodshop 03-20-2009 03:00 PM

thanks, but wouldn't the strainer not allow it to suck fuel well at all? or could it act up, when its cold?
what about the high pressure oil pump under the fuel bowl?

F350-6 03-20-2009 09:36 PM

I'd start with checking the oil level and finding out where the leak is coming from.

When the truck stalls after 3 - 10 min., can you describe how it stalls? I would think a fuel restriction would show up cold or hot, but you said the truck runs fine when the engine is at operating temp.

Make sure the oil is of the proper rating, then if possible, monitor live data on a scanner to check for a biased sensor. The EOT sensor comes to mind, but I'd check as many as you can.

Jakesrodshop 03-20-2009 09:44 PM

it's full of rotella 15w40. going to change it in the morning just to be safe, when it stalls it sounds like it's running out of fuel.

F350-6 03-20-2009 09:46 PM

Does the check engine light come on (or stay on)? Are there any codes present? The oil type is fine. Be sure to check the level before you change it tomorrow to get an idea of how low it is.

adamzelazowski 03-21-2009 01:09 AM

When stall turn off ignition and check fuel in fuel filter then you be sure its easy if it's not on top.Disconect fuel pump on rail on tank side and conect some fuel from bottle.

new2diesel 03-21-2009 07:42 AM

Just a question on the oil below the fuel bowl, Isn't that where the HPOP is? Bad o-rings
could not allow enough pressure. Just a thought.

Jakesrodshop 03-21-2009 12:54 PM

hey,
no check engine light when it stalls, no stored codes checking fuel in fuel bowl once it stalls.

adamzelazowski 03-21-2009 04:11 PM

Looks like clogs fuel line or inside tanks check fuel filter if is on tap fuel when dies

Kwikkordead 03-24-2009 08:37 AM

Any word there Jake?

adamzelazowski 03-24-2009 12:43 PM

OK its linking when is full when is 3/4 no links