Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   rebuild kit from summit for a 460 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/832670-rebuild-kit-from-summit-for-a-460-a.html)

emd160 03-18-2009 02:51 PM

rebuild kit from summit for a 460

hi guys i going to be rebuilding a 460 soon and i was looking at the kits from summit. i am going to put edelbrock rpm heads,intake,and cam kit on it with a 750 carb. i was also going to use the fel-pro sealed power rebuilt kit from summit. it says with 92cc heads it will have a compression ratio of 9.14:1. now should i get the 95cc heads or go with the 75cc heads and up the compression ratio or would that make it to high.( i think i read somewere that going from the 95cc to 75cc heads would raise it one point so it be 10.14:1 but i could be very wrong). the truck is not a daily driver and i would use it to mud bog, trail rides, trips to town, and stuff like that any info is much appreciated

blackf-100 03-18-2009 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by emd160 (Post 7277668)
hi guys i going to be rebuilding a 460 soon and i was looking at the kits from summit. i am going to put edelbrock rpm heads,intake,and cam kit on it with a 750 carb. i was also going to use the fel-pro sealed power rebuilt kit from summit. it says with 92cc heads it will have a compression ratio of 9.14:1. now should i get the 95cc heads or go with the 75cc heads and up the compression ratio or would that make it to high.( i think i read somewere that going from the 95cc to 75cc heads would raise it one point so it be 10.14:1 but i could be very wrong). the truck is not a daily driver and i would use it to mud bog, trail rides, trips to town, and stuff like that any info is much appreciated

I used the performer heads with JE flat top pistons I have just over 10.5to 1 compression you can run a little higher compression with aluminum heads than you can with cast iron go with the 75cc you wont believe the torque

427 fordman 03-18-2009 06:05 PM

I would get the 75 cc heads too. When you put the motor together check the compression with a standard .040 head gasket. If it is too high cometic makes a bunch of different thickness head gaskets to suit your needs.

emd160 03-18-2009 08:16 PM

yea torque is what i am looking for i cant wait. i had a built 351 windsor in my f150 and i though it ran. blackf-100do you think go with the performer heads or the performer rpm heads. this is going to be mainly a truck to take to camp for back roads and trails with mud and hills. i seen a dyno write up that said the rpm made like 50 more ft pds of tq and 70 hp. i would think you would have the truck at or above 1500 rpm when on the gas so i was thinking getting the rpm heads over the performer heads whats your guys opinion

blackf-100 03-18-2009 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by emd160 (Post 7278968)
yea torque is what i am looking for i cant wait. i had a built 351 windsor in my f150 and i though it ran. blackf-100do you think go with the performer heads or the performer rpm heads. this is going to be mainly a truck to take to camp for back roads and trails with mud and hills. i seen a dyno write up that said the rpm made like 50 more ft pds of tq and 70 hp. i would think you would have the truck at or above 1500 rpm when on the gas so i was thinking getting the rpm heads over the performer heads whats your guys opinion

horse power sales cars torque wins races

1977f250 03-18-2009 11:13 PM

Best one I have seen is, Horsepower =is how fast you hit the wall
Torque= is how much of the wall you take with you

roger dowty 03-19-2009 01:34 AM

other things to consider.... The cam your running will be the primary factor in choosing the heads and compression ratio. For me torque is best down low... but mud bogging wants big rpm where trail and technical 4x4 wants it low. To get one you lose some of the other...Of course with a 460 it matters less than with a 351w.

The way to properly build an engine is to determine octane desired, its use/rpm range desired (always a compromise unless race specific), this leads to a specific cam which leads to specific compression ratio which, as stated above can be up to a point higher with aluminum heads and about that much more if you have well designed quench in the chamber that usually comes with smaller 'closed' chambers and pistons designed for them. If the compression is too high you could have detonation problems if you decide to pull in the sun etc.

the rpm intake may hurt the torque down low but give better results at max rpm thus you get the bump in #'s but the torque curve is whats important and that it match your needs regardless of the max at near redline.

this is the fun part though. good luck

CRABBO 09-28-2009 12:48 AM

torque

Originally Posted by emd160 (Post 7278968)

i would not worry over the torker heads over the performer heads,just use a eagle 4.5 stroker kit and about 9.5 compression, and the edelbrock torker cam [234/244/108 lobe centers and you will have about 700 ft lbs @2500 rpm,s and about 500 pones at 5500 rpm,s so there is your torque and horsepower..ps if you use crane endurance valve springs you can get .650 lift and NOT machine your iron heads but, if you use the aluminum heads you won't have to worry about coil bind