Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Removing Light Scratches?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/831676-removing-light-scratches.html)

ggwash21 03-15-2009 04:30 PM

Removing Light Scratches??

Ok so I'm looking for the best wax or scratch removers. I have light scratches from light brush during hunting season and i wanna know what you guys think the best brand would be to use. I have a darker blue paint if that helps.
Edit/Delete Message

cableguy1224 03-15-2009 04:52 PM

I am a huge fan of mothers wax and cleaners, they seem to work great!!

magnet1 03-15-2009 06:42 PM

I use EAGLE ONE. They offer cleaners, and swirl removers. As for wax, they have the Nano-polish which works really well on dark vehicles, especially black like mine. It really helps fill in the swirls and light scratches. Just remember...side to side when polishing, not old school circles on dark paint. It would also be a good idea to clay it before you wax it to make sure you have all the contaminants out of the clear coat.

ggwash21 03-15-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by magnet1 (Post 7265863)
I use EAGLE ONE. They offer cleaners, and swirl removers. As for wax, they have the Nano-polish which works really well on dark vehicles, especially black like mine. It really helps fill in the swirls and light scratches. Just remember...side to side when polishing, not old school circles on dark paint. It would also be a good idea to clay it before you wax it to make sure you have all the contaminants out of the clear coat.

sounds like a good sunday project....

Big-Red-Lariat 03-15-2009 07:22 PM

clay it? This is a new verb to me. Can u elaborate?

cableguy1224 03-15-2009 10:11 PM

Clay bars work VERY well to clean the paint, I don't believe they remove scratch's though. I was amazed when I first used mothers brand clay bars, the remove ALL paint contaminants. Check out the link below, they are magical!!

Mothers® California Gold® Clay Bar System

evilwayz7 03-15-2009 10:12 PM

It's a clay bar. If you go to youtube and type in How to clay bar you can find videos on it.

jet canada 03-15-2009 10:59 PM

ok ...have you heard of a product called Plexus?? it is the best miracle in a can for scratches...you will not believe it!!! go to their web at www.plexus.com i am pretty sure that is it...not cheap though...17$ a can....check it out!!!

jet canada 03-15-2009 11:14 PM

the link is Introducing Plexus Plastic Cleaner and that is the BEST miracle in a can for scratches...you will not believe it...i always have at least 2 cans on hand ...it's amazing on all types of paint/plastic

fitz888 03-16-2009 01:17 PM

Where can you get a can I dont want a whole case

jet canada 03-16-2009 01:41 PM

try motorcycle shops or jet ski shops ...they usually have this stuff...good luck

ggwash21 03-16-2009 03:39 PM

Found it on Amazon
Amazon.com: plexus

Gparcels 03-16-2009 08:01 PM

Check out these products, 3M Finesse-it™ and 3M™ Compounds, Polishes and Accessories. Do a google search on their product line. I have had many black vehicles, cars and trucks and using the Finesse-it with a buffing wheel willl produce a mirrior like shine, then wax to protect. (Weekend project).

James_24_85 03-17-2009 03:45 AM

I am a big fan of the ice products by turtle wax, I would try the liquid clay bar then the wax, then the spray detailer inbetween waxes. works pretty well for me. Removes light scratches

xjcamaro89 03-17-2009 01:01 PM

I have found for best and fast results that 3M products work the best for light scratches that wax doesnt cover. Walmart has two kinds of scratch removers (At least at the one near me) made by 3M. Both in little bottles so you dont have to got to the auto body shop and buy a big bottle. One kind is called the rubbing compound and the other is called the finish restore. I use the rubbing compound first as it is more abrasive, applying it with a clean lint free towel, then the finish restore to bring up the shine. I work it in a small area at a time in a fast circular motion, sort of like your waxing it in a small section. Keep rubbing in circles until the paste almost disappears, then use a clean towel and wipe off the rest. Then repeat with the next kind, or next area. For light scratches it works really good. For deeper scratches you can use the same stuff but you might not be able to do it by hand, you might need a buffer/polisher, because when you use rubbing compounds your actually creating heat in the finish that blends the finish together covering the scratch. Now dont get all worried and stuff, doing it by hand will not hurt you finish, its stated on the bottle, in fact the only thing you will notice about your finish when your done doing it by hand is the scratch will be gone.